AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Round 3 RESULTS  (Read 85809 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 3 (rules)

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 12:16:51 am
I think im going to give this one a try just for fun ^_^. one question though, what perspective/style is this in? I assume fighter sprite, am i right?
Perspective doesnt matter.
However you feel you can animate an interesting character and personality.

Quote from: 9_6
Well if that's the definition of cultured, the examples and the criteria 'strange cultured' makes no sense.
Can somebody please give a definition of the word 'cultured' as it is used in the context with the theme?
Somebody like flaber?

Cultured: "the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another."

Culture: "the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group"

Examples:
Chinese are a culture. They have their own food, their own clothes, traditions, beliefs, lifestyle, and look about them.
Egyptian is a culture. They too have a distinct lifestyle and appearance (complimented by clothing) that defines that group of people.

Now.
When i say "Must be of a strange cultured female" I mean it to say, I want you to make a female with a strange/different culture/lifestyle than those that already exist in the world. So NO Chinese or Egyptian cultures would be allowed.
So when i suggest a dragon princess.. it could be still a full on regular female, just dressed differently in strange clothes and weird accesories. OR you could have your female with dragon wings, while still being dressed interesting.
With things like mermaids, or angels true they have body parts that arnt human, but they are still recognizeable as a female human - just with a twist. Same goes with, if you want to make an android. Yes there is techno-mechanics everywhere but it still resembles the female human.

With that said, I know for a fact someone is going to ask, "But why are mermaids allowed tails, and angels allowed wings, etc, when those arnt real human parts."
Every culture in the world today has different adaptations and characteristics that are only pertain to that culture. Ex: Mayan people are short and stalky. African and Middle East have darker skin. European have lighter skin. Vikings are stereotyped as being bigger and built. (not being racist or discriminative).
All of those cultures have their own things that apply to them.
Mermaids have their culture underwater, therefore they have adapted and grown a tail and fins.
Angels could have their culture thrive in the sky, therefore they grew wings.

Dont mix creatures with a female. Keep in mind of whatever adaptation or change you make will stay consistant with the culture you choose.

Does that make sense to you

Quote from: The B.O.B.
I think he means just make a female of another fantasized culture. Such as one that is not particular of any of our worldly cultures. She must retain humanoid characteristics however, and there is to be no background, so the focus lays primarily on the character herself. She can be an alien, furry, or mutant, just as long is it exemplifies a completely different culture than the norm. The rules are extremely clear to me. I don't see what the fuss is about...

Exactly!
Think of.. star wars for example. Those are all strange cultures - they are not cross breeds though of animals and female, like a beetle head or anything.
ex:
http://www.radiantcg.com/HiRes/Misc/Women-of-Color-Ultimate-Post.jpg

But, you need not necessarily make any adaptation for your female. Thats just a possible route. If you just dressed her up with accessories and made her interesting, that would be fine too. Like for example, pirates of the caribean. All those females are all dressed to that distinct culture. (dont use pirates).

Quote from: Pixelaro
Nice challenge.. I have a question for you raters/flaber. Will there be another contest like this later? I am not that active and I feel pretty sure that i will miss the sign up for the next one too if i don't know approximately when it will happen  ;P
Yes there will be another challenge like this.
When though - im not sure.

---
Hopefully that cleared up your questions and concerns.
I tried giving multiple examples and explaining in different ways so that hopefully atleast 1 of those explanations or examples will make sense to you.
I thought this was more straight forward than last time. I guess i was wrong.

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:35 am
flaber: say we did something like mirre's mermaid, would it be ok to have her rest on something like a rock or is that part of background?

Goodluck all :) I'm expectiing something amazing from you B.O.B! I haven't seen the others animate so I am scared haha. I don't animate well. I guess this is a good chance to learn.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 04:49:40 am
Another first time for me! Awesome theme. Good luck for everyone!  :-*

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 06:16:33 am
flaber: say we did something like mirre's mermaid, would it be ok to have her rest on something like a rock or is that part of background?

No.
That would be considered part of a background.
You are allowed clothing and accesories - things like a cane, or something they could hold in their hand. but since the rock is not an accesory, rather part of the land, it wouldnt be allowed.
With things like a mermaid though, say you want her tredding water - just have her hover in air tredding. Dont use water around her because that would be part of a background.
I just want the animated female nothing more, nothing less

Offline templargfx

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 04:09:52 am
I dont get it, can I enter? the image in the OP already has a full set of "challengers"

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 04:25:36 am
TemplarGFX, there was a signup thread more than a month ago, where the first 32 people got to enter.

You could always make something for fun, but you can't actually enter.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 05:24:50 pm

Quote from: Stwelin
here's a question: is animation a possibility when it comes to the image requirements for each round?
as of right now, no I do not see any animation. Every image will be static.

You had my hopes up for no animation  :'(

I think this round will be the end of me, I have no animation ability, and have been trying to animate all day, it's just not happening, I'll try and fit in time the next two weeks but I didn't know (well I guess I did know I just never tried it) decent animation took this long (all I've done is crappy 2-frame animation). I say goodluck to all, and may you have better animation skills than me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:33:18 pm by buloght »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 05:47:46 pm
Buloght, endure. If animation's not your forte, then don't go for anything really complicated. An idle animation can be an eye blink, if it comes down to that. Don't just not submit because of your animation problem. Work at it, you have the time. The contest may be a contest, but it's also a skillbuilder. Build your skill.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 05:48:38 pm
+1 Helm

I placed my bets on you buloght =)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 03, 2007, 12:41:01 am
ya,
and as you saw last round.

Some of the entries werent even completed and still passed because it was still better than their opponents, or their opponents dropped out.

Its best to still have an entry even if you arnt that great at animation.
As helm said - make the animation simple then - if the character is still interesting, that subtle touch of movement may just be enough.
but please still try.

Im trying to add different elements to each round, so that, as helm mentioned you are able to build your skill.
Lots of people had problems with iso and still tried.