AuthorTopic: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info  (Read 98891 times)

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Re: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info

Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 07:44:00 pm
These are all awesome. I particulary like the attitude of the drum beatin' orc, and the barbarian basher!

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #51 on: March 05, 2007, 12:53:08 am
Hey zoggles had a part of that old thread, he sent it over to me so....

http://raincitygames.com/magic/iBTopicMagnificently%20Magical%20Pixel%20Challenge%20A.htm

http://raincitygames.com/magic/iBTopicMagnificently%20Magical%20Pixel%20Challenge%20B.htm

Enjoy.. :D

hmmm, poop... it appears the first one he did with all the particles isn't there.  Judging from the messages it looks like the forum crashed and these were a repost of the activity.  The later spell effects he did are nice too though *saves*

hah funny seeing my old avatar and whatnot.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 05, 2007, 04:09:01 am
Awesome work dude. I just wanted to let you know that I read your tutorials years ago, and they really helped me out when I first started making games. I read them again just because they were so good and it seemed liked you'd added some.

Also, I totally know what you mean about red. I always thought it might have been my inexperience. Good to know red just doesn't work that way :).

Offline Bo

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 05, 2007, 05:54:51 pm
Hey zoggles had a part of that old thread, he sent it over to me so....

http://raincitygames.com/magic/iBTopicMagnificently%20Magical%20Pixel%20Challenge%20A.htm

http://raincitygames.com/magic/iBTopicMagnificently%20Magical%20Pixel%20Challenge%20B.htm

Enjoy.. :D

Wow that brings me back.
I remember that thread being posted right after i joined. Didnt realise it was so long ago.

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 05, 2007, 08:51:48 pm
Dang! Nostalgia!  ;D I wasn't posting then but I was reading then. I had actually forgotten what the eye-killing blue looked like.  :ouch:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:08 pm
yeah so i didnt even surf the net when all that stuff happened. i feel like such a noob.

Offline Skulkraken

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 06, 2007, 03:04:01 am
I am amazed beyond belief.  Awesome art!  It's great to see that the tutorial's back up, too.

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Reply #57 on: March 06, 2007, 02:17:03 pm
It doesn't have to be exactly the same in each view. The differences make it look more natural.

My thinking on it is two things:

1) with a "side" animation like steam, sparks, misc little stuff, if you keep them in the same place on the character through all 3 angles, there are only 2 unique puffs of steam total coming out of the guy as a character...but if you have them in different places on each angle, then that's like 6 unique puffs.  So it kind of gives more unique animations to him.  It would be similar to, say, having a guy with a long trailing Ryu style headband running left and right, and on the left run his headband flows in one motion and on the right run his headband flows in a different motion.  Just something to add a little more variation in the animation.  It's not something anyone really pays attention to unless they see the frames side by side like this, it's just psychologically you think "ya that has a lot of animation"

2) art-wise it's just a balance...if in the side view, there's a lot of space in front of him, then I'm going to make the cloud poof come out of like, his knee, and rise up in front in that empty space.  if in the back view there's a lot of space behind him, then I'm going to make that cloud poof come out of his ankle to fill that space.  I guess it could be like that Disney animation rule of making a character look good in silhouette form so you never have him doing stuff in front of him, always do it off to the side so it's obvious what's going on...keeping the cloud poof at the exact same point on the exact same frames might look good on the side view but cover half of his sword or something in the front view.

also I didn't totally notice when I drew it heh...but it's not something I pay attention to usually for these 2 reasons, unless I'm specifically asked to make the character exactly consistent in all directions.

Also, I totally know what you mean about red. I always thought it might have been my inexperience. Good to know red just doesn't work that way

good, glad someone else has run into it, heh...red is a really weird color in pixel stuff.  Capcom always uses super intense red for like, Ryu's headband and stuff...that's why I did it for the ninja turtle looking guy in MK.  just RGB: 255/0/0 but I don't get why exactly.  something to do with how it shows up on a screen I guess.

- Tsugumo

Offline Keops

• RibsChirino
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/189965.htm
    • View Profile
    • Behance portfolio

Reply #58 on: March 07, 2007, 03:21:38 pm
A dream come true! This is a goldmine for study of the ways of the pixel!

Thanks for sharing.
Hearthstead: Art thread - Website - Twitter

COMMISSIONS OPEN! Behance portfolio

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: March 07, 2007, 10:32:08 pm
Wow.. those sprites are awesome! I haven't met you before, but have read your fantastic tutorial sometime ago. The art you've posted here does nothing but prove my predictions about you, and more. =)