AuthorTopic: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info  (Read 98897 times)

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Re: Mage Knight art-dump, lots of sprites & info

Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 03:14:16 am
Hey zoggles had a part of that old thread, he sent it over to me so....

sweet!  Joiro's were the ones I was thinking of...apparently I didn't even have 3dsMax back then.  Going to have to give it another go someday, heh...

Are you animating these things in image ready? Please tell me there's a better way, I can't stand image ready the layers + frames paradigm is so weird.

I hate ImageReady with a PASSION.  Some guys at work use it and they know how and it works for them but I sat down with it when I first started here and was like "...??"  It feels so ridiculously un-intuitive to me.  I just make each frame a layer in Photoshop and Import it to a program called Gif Movie Gear that reads .PSD files.  So every layer of the .PSD file becomes a frame (you can have a background layer that it merges them all onto if you want, have it make one giant palette from the whole thing, etc., it's all really friendly and simple).

Doing it my way means that to do something like sliding a ball around the screen, it's more of a pain in the ass, because I have to move the ball, make a new layer, move the ball, make a new layer, etc. whereas I think in ImageReady you can just move it and go to the next frame or something simple...but I don't care, I like it straightforward like this, heh.

How many other artists were involved? I don't think I noticed that in your novella.

hey man!  long time no see!  There was Z Gravity doing the BGs, me doing the characters/spells, another guy doing the UI/menu stuff, and another guy doing the character portraits.  All 3 of the other artists helped out when the characters were behind at the end (taking the blocky version of the guy and doing him up nicer)...If you compare some of the characters in the final game you can see a difference in styles, heh.

- Tsugumo

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 04:33:42 am
Wow, this is all really awesome stuff!

This is for Big blue Bubble right? I was thinking about applying there, but i need to work on my pixel skills and become fluent in photoshop...

The funniest part about it is that big blue bubble, is in like walking distance of where i live.. though i wouldn't want to go outside today.. damn ice storm..

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 11:39:30 am
holy shit, you got to the credits??  did you finish the game?

No, there is a credits button right in the main menu.

sweet!  Joiro's were the ones I was thinking of...

Seeing it again, me too :)

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 01:35:54 pm
Thanks for posting these. Really fun to read and learn.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 01:48:15 pm

One thing I noticed with this guy, is that in the two front views the steams poofs out when he steps forward with his right leg.
Yet in the side view and back view the steam poofs out when he steps forward with his left leg.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2007, 04:50:31 pm
Er, you're seeing wrong then. The steam poofs out of his right leg.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #46 on: March 02, 2007, 05:00:58 pm
Glub Glub!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #47 on: March 02, 2007, 05:10:08 pm
Er, you're seeing wrong then. The steam poofs out of his right leg.
Er, you're reading it wrong then.  He's saying it comes out of the right leg when its back on the side view, but it comes out of the right leg when its at the front on the frontal/backwards view.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 02, 2007, 05:28:04 pm
Ah yes, right-o then. My bad.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #49 on: March 03, 2007, 05:41:46 am

One thing I noticed with this guy, is that in the two front views the steams poofs out when he steps forward with his right leg.
Yet in the side view and back view the steam poofs out when he steps forward with his left leg.
It doesn't have to be exactly the same in each view. The differences make it look more natural. Also, if the steam came out while the leg was back it would look odd, being behind the character and all. This way, he could use the same smoke frames without having to worry about the inconsistent perspective that would result from having the puff overlap the body if it came out while the leg was back. You'll also notice that sparks only come out of the elbow in the back view, and the sparks that come out of the left (his) knee in the front and side views come out of the lower leg/ankle in the back view.