AuthorTopic: New Pixel [WIP] [03 08 07]  (Read 13861 times)

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Re: New Pixel [WIP] [03 06 07]

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 05:11:45 pm
I'm not keeping the sky the color it is.  I don't know why you think I will.  This is a WIP, I haven't even started on the BG yet.  And yeah, it's a RuneScape sig, so be bored all you want to.
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 05:20:52 pm
You really have to look at your anatomy. Arms aren't just cylinders for example. You also have to shade volume into your characters. Everything has a different light source, find your direction...

And the runescape sigs scare me. I've seen some of the worst art on the planet on the runescape forums.... I don't even play runescape, I just look at the forums to laugh with the horrible art :D

I'm sure that you will be able to raise the level of yours though. Just keep on working

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 06:38:11 pm
Just to clarify Gil's comment about "everything has a different light source":

The tree on the left is shaded with a single light from directly to the right.  The face, neck and body of the guy in red are shaded with a light from the right.  His left leg is pillow shaded, while his right leg is shaded with light from the right again.  His shadow is crisp and dark, but cast directly downward, from a light source up above (his hair is shaded the same way).  The guy in green has a similar affliction - however his shirt is shaded from the topright, rather than just the right.  His hair has inverse pillow shading, while his legs suffer the same fate as the guy in red.  He has a vertically cast shadow as well.  The right-most tree, however, is shaded on the trunk from the left, but on the branches and leaves from above.  I think the only light source that you haven't used is one from directly below.

Also, people continue to comment on the background colors because there is absolutely no indication that you intend to not use these pure MS Paint shades in the final product.  The green in the grass can be found in the tree's leaves, and many of the tones used on your characters are massively over-saturated (except for their skin, which is ashen and dull).  Folks will only assume that you will make massive improvements if there is some hint of that in the existing artwork.  So please do not get snappy when people give you valid crits when there is every reason to expect that these crits will still apply even after detail is added.  A majority of the responses have encouraged you to re-examine the fundamentals of this image, and you have done nothing of the sort - you've made minor superficial changes that do not address any of the real problems with this piece.  You're wasting everyone's (including your own) time by continuing to post these miniscule updates that ignore everyone's feedback.

Continuing with this piece without addressing the massive fundamental errors in its construction is a waste of time; you are not learning anything, you are only continuing to practice bad art and bad design and bad color theory.  A rough gem is worth a lot more than polished garbage.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 11:09:19 am
Like they said..learn the basics, before attempting as big as this.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 05:11:46 pm
Actually, I thought I was improving on what everyone has said.  First, let me clear a few things up about the suns location and in relation to what I've drawn.  I have one light source, and I was trying to shade to that light source.  The sun was supposed to be in the top-rightish, time around noon.  I wrote in my post earlier that I would change the east tree's light source to make more sense.  I understand that my updates haven't changed everything in the drawing, but I thought it'd be okay if I posted my updates daily.  I'll work on this more tonight, and try to address what everyone one of ya'll are getting at.
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 05:23:45 am
Well, I moved the sun and used that as a reference instead of my imagination.  Warmer or colder?  (PS Warmer is better)

I changed the pallette on the west tree and changed it up a bit with the shading when I added the new sun.  Also, worked on the green-shirted guy's shirt's pallette and shading.  Took the cape away because people thought it looked too much like RuneScape.  Going to re-shade the pants.  For the third time, but if I get it looking good, it'll all be worth it, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 05:27:44 am by Potatoes »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: New Pixel [WIP] [03 08 07]

Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 07:19:03 am
the front of the people are being hit by light from an unknown source though. If light is coming from behind them it should be hitting only around their edges not in the middle of their jeans or shirt. I would say that the proportions of everything in the piece is flawed. I say start with a piece of one of your people so we can all help you out with your understanding of anatomy and other important issues and tackle it heavily. Then perhaps a piece like the tree to allow us to give you some help with texturing and form.

Here are some quick anatomy alterations proportion wise, the left is your current anatomy from your piece (approximately) the right mine.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 08:23:09 am
Well, I moved the sun and used that as a reference instead of my imagination.  Warmer or colder?  (PS Warmer is better)

I changed the pallette on the west tree and changed it up a bit with the shading when I added the new sun.  Also, worked on the green-shirted guy's shirt's pallette and shading.  Took the cape away because people thought it looked too much like RuneScape.  Going to re-shade the pants.  For the third time, but if I get it looking good, it'll all be worth it, IMO.

And yeah, it's a RuneScape sig, so be bored all you want to.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Re: New Pixel [WIP] [03 08 07]

Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 01:53:17 pm
Well, I should've said that I changed it from RuneScape because for one people are saying they don't like it looks like one and I decided to change it and I actually like it better this way.  A guy from another forum made the linework and I wanted to keep it recognizably the same.  I don't want to really change much about the guys.  Even if the anatomy is all wrong.  The light source is supposed to be coming from the top, not behind him.