AuthorTopic: New Pixel [WIP] [03 08 07]  (Read 13945 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: New Pixel [WIP]

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 07:28:18 pm
I'll guarantee you, right now that the sky WILL be blue.  *checks sky*  Yea, blue.

Sure its blue, jsut not that retina burning cyan, thats not sky blue.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 08:13:39 pm
The bg situation is pretty similar to the one in this other recent thread.

Offline MrNormS

• Rock and Roll.
    • View Profile
    • http://vitamintwo.com

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 02:45:35 am
Also, just as a mental exercise, I think it could be useful to give yourself a short homework assignment before you continue with this piece.  It's very easy!  Find a photo of a sunny day outdoors.  That's it!  However, there is a catch.  The grass must be (0,128,0) and the sky must be (0,255,255) and the sun must be (255,255,0).  When you find that photo, post it here!

We should play a game: the person who can come up with the most original way to tell people that the world doesn't look like this wins.  Kidding.  On a more general note (as I don't know which thread came first) read the forum and pay attention to crits people get and then when you look at your piece ask yourself whether any of those crits apply.  I lurk here and  I don't enjoy my retinas getting burned out repeatedly.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 02:02:28 am
I'll guarantee you, right now that the sky WILL be blue.  *checks sky*  Yea, blue.

Sure its blue, jsut not that retina burning cyan, thats not sky blue.
That was a joke, yeah, I'm going to change the sky, lol.  That was just because I was tired of looking at the white. S:

BTW, update:

@JJ-I haven't even started on the background.  I have put in colors and where my light will be, but that's all.  Besides, my sun is in a normal position, at least.. :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:58:06 am by Potatoes »
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 06:27:01 am
To be honest, if you're coloring the picture like you are, the sun should not be where it is.  When the sun is that low in the sky, colors change.  Admittedly, you can change the colors later, but you've drawn it thus far with a mid-day sun.  Also, even if the sun were where it is, it's millions of miles away.  All of the figures in your picture should be lit from behind, but you've shaded as though the sun were a lamp sitting between the people and the tree.  Shading and nitpicky flaws are also present, but those can be addressed when the picture has some basic shapes solidly defined properly.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:27 am

UPDATE 

Just playing around with dithering for the "smoke" although it doesn't look that good, C/c on that.  Also, I've never tried doing leaves.  Anyone have any help with that as well? :crazy:
Feel free to teach me how to choose colors and shades.  I'm willing to learn.  PM pl0cks.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Re: New Pixel [WIP] [03 05 07]

Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 06:10:02 am
Just to note: despite the fact that the sun is now out of the frame, the tree with a face is shaded from the left while the rest is shaded from the right.   Also, the shading on the characters' right legs (our left) look odd and pillow-y.  You also probably want more contrast in most of your ramps.  This piece has improved; keep it up.
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 02:14:47 pm
I think you should add the smoke when you're done with the bg, since if you do something transparent (with colors instead of dithering) you have to do it again if you change the background. The fold on the green shirt looks very strange, I would'nt use such a bright color for highlighting it. Also in my opinion the skindshades look too grey-brown.
Like robalan already said youve already made some good progress

Offline Potatoes

• Lawl, pl0cks
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 03:57:24 am
All I've done in this update is work on the guy w/the match's pants, changed a few of the pallette's, and cleaned up a bit here and there.  Don't mind the shadows on the grass. I know they don't match up, so I'll work on them tomorrow, right now, I'm going to bed. 

LMT (last minute thought) : I'm going to change the shadow on the far right tree to match the others.  Thefore placing the sun in the somewhat upper right hand corner.  That would make shadows a lot easier for me.  And it'd probably make more sense.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:59:44 am by Potatoes »

Offline Wakka

• View Profile

Re: New Pixel [WIP] [03 06 07]

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 06:03:45 am
Darken the sky. It shouldn't be baby blue?... That's the only crit I have. And that yellow cape thing, reminds me of RuneScape :huh:. I'm bored to death by RuneScape :n:.