AuthorTopic: [wip] Wolf - where am I going wrong? (updated)  (Read 9987 times)

Offline Squirrelborg

• View Profile

[wip] Wolf - where am I going wrong? (updated)

on: February 25, 2007, 06:00:25 pm
Ok, something about this just doesn't look right to me.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:44:42 pm by Squirrelborg »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: [wip] Wolf - where am I going wrong?

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:09:26 pm
I would say that the back to the tail is too straight and could use some curving. It seems like the front legs are bending forward, when the should be going pretty much straight down...I think you may fix this a bit by reducing the size of the paws; they should be about as big as the ears (maybe a bit bigger or smaller).  This should help for a reference.

My opinion would be to add some white here and there, and perhaps raise the contrast a bit, but it's your piece, and you seem to be getting the fur down pretty well.  Keep on pixelling!  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Squirrelborg

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:46:46 pm
Ok, I went back and worked on it a bit.

Is this better? I straightened the front legs, tried to curve the back a bit more, thickened the mane slightly, and added a few more highlights in the parts of the fur that are supposed to be light.

Thanks. :)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:48:12 pm
i feel that this could use more of a dynamic pose.. but to improve what you have the back feet should be placed futher backwards, it looks like its about to sit down at the moment.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline xenkli

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 06:55:58 pm
The front looks rather good but its back (and possibly the colors) make it look like a German shepherd with Hip dysplasia. Try to straighten the back and to put the feet on even ground, unless this is aiming at some special pose. Also dropping the tail might make it look more natural. Something like so maybe:

Offline Squirrelborg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:53 pm
Ok, thanks for the advice. Yeah I'll work on that back end a bit more.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:54:20 pm
This is where I think you should go with it. As it stands there are a few anatomical problems that stick out to me. Keep in mind that I studied no references before making the edit, so it could still be way off:

What I did: Shrunk the feet, repositioned the legs slightly, widened the chest, lowered the head (I think.. maybe by 1 pixel?), changed the belly almost entirely (unless this wolf is, like, a collie, its underbelly shouldn't be such a drastically different colour), and removed the black/dark patches on the back (personal prefernce, really, but I've never seen a wolf coloured like that :P).

The palette in this is  nice, the head and neck are very nicely shaped. It's really quite nice, overall, except for the mentioned anatomical thingies. The only other thing I'd mention is to watch out for stray pixels. Pixel art (far as I understand) is first and foremost about control, and there are a number of oddly placed/stray pixels. Some of that grayish brown used on the body, for example, and the two random black pixels.

Good stuff, though. Keep it up. ;D

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:50:57 pm
The back legs are completely off.  Take a look at these sketches I did, they have correct animal canine anatomy.

Tremulants edit sort of fixes the problem, though some of the limb lengths are a bit off, especially the shins.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:56:37 pm
hmmm i wouldn't have said the shins were far off at all.  Your sketches are of grey-hound type dogs.  Look how hench this wolf is:

Trem's edit is the best so far.

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:19 am
My point was that in Tremulant's edit, the best as of now, the dog only appears to have a 3 part leg- toes, foot, and thigh, because the shins are extremely small.  Unless...

Perhaps you were thinking that the shin was the foot?