AuthorTopic: Feature 04 - Tank  (Read 82104 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Tank

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 04:03:38 pm
Wow Evil-Ville, that's just briliant. Thank you so much for that! Those colours, the shapes, they're all FAN-TAS-TIC!
I'll be sure to use that as a reference to the future edits of the tank, now back to the drawing board.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 05:12:30 pm
Maybe this edit will help?

Yea that rocks. Thats how it should be :D.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:07:42 pm by Panda »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 05:14:13 pm
I've made an edit based on Evil's:

?
(Not fully finsihed with the edit yet, but, wanted to know if it improves it before I continue.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:00:36 pm by Panda »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 06:12:16 pm
major improvement so far.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 06:17:27 pm
now i think the forms get lost more than before, since you've lost the sense of lighting completely, and i much preferd the round tank, it was cuter.  that could just be me, but id say go back to the round one and just try to make it clearer.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 06:26:53 pm
Phew, you're making it hard for me :P
Well, then I'm just gonna go for my own oppinion, and I really love Evil's, it was how I wanted it to be. It might look cute in the first picture, but that is not how this is intended. It's intended as a metalic killing machine with maybe a few cartoony features. And I think that's exactly how Evil depicted it. And that's how I personaly want to continue.
Here's an update, maybe the last:

(Btw Adarias, I think the lighting isuess are solved in this edit)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:01:29 pm by Panda »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 06:35:15 pm
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. times 3 but this is still pretty valid i think

I don't agree I say definitely not going about it the right way!

You should be giving it crisp edges but you don't need to compromise the entire shape of the tank just build on it. I made a very minor edit to reiterate some points made by Evil-Ville you may have overlooked and bring up some points more clearly by others. Firstly palette change, yours is looking ok, but i do miss the green tones (the edit hasn't got exciting colours but it allows for more subtlety with the interlace). Secondly and this is probably one of my main points the shape has just become flat squares and all perspective has been lost. This problem may have actually been translated from Evil-Ville's edit, if you look at the shape of the side It's actually poking out towards us a bit too much as if we are head on to the side of it as oppose to on an angle. I think everyone is fine with round parts but just make them crisp (as is in the original between the tracks for instance). to help support the fact that it is metal add lighting effects such as refractions. Also the dithering on dark areas can look very off such as in the tracks, either elude to the presence of more within it by distinguishing the general shape of cogs etc. as seen in my edit, or show it straight out like Evil-Ville's.

I know my edit isn't to pretty but i hope it helps.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:09:31 pm by Panda »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 06:42:11 pm
Well Zeid, to be honest, that perspective was not intentional in the first place. It all had to do with the forms on it. The forms might've made it seem it had an interesting perspective, but that was not intentional. I noticed it immeadeatly on his edit, and I liked it. I wanted it to be like that. (Oh, and btw, I added green tones while you were typing in the last edit :P)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 08:26:25 pm

It's an animation attempt...I feel the body is too static, but I wouldn't know how to make it move without it looking like a cut & paste job...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:01:50 pm by Panda »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Tank...now with animation attempt.

Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 10:26:48 pm
subpixelsubpixelsubpixel.......

it only has to rock back and forth a little bit, but it would make it look so much better
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.