Critique > Pixel Art Feature Chest

Feature 04 - Tank

(1/15) > >>

Opacus:
It's a tank!
I know I should have waited with dithering and detailing etc. But I'm bored, have a headache, and I'm pissed, so I wanted something to do.
Here it is:
NEWEST:
OLDEST: White outlines:
Tell me which one you prefer.
The design is Metal Slug inspired. 12 colours inc trans.
Any comment welcome.

AdamAtomic:
the left one is much better, the white outline adds nothing.  I'd darken the little antenna bits coming off the roof, they look a little foregroundy right now.  The bit of armor extending over the treads looks too flat and weird - the shading is rounded, questionably, and there is no indication of thickness or volume to it.  The blob on the side of the tank seems a little soft and confusing in shape and purpose.  I'd like to see the front of the armor, between the treads there, have some more details, it's a little dull right now.  The treads are pretty sloppy, both in color application and general shape and size.  The interior of the wheels need to be shaded darker.

I like your colors, and I love metal slug, and generally speaking your lighting and shading is solid; only the antennas, wheels and treads strike me as problematic renderings in that sense.  The dithering is well done, and it adds a weathered texture to the surface that works very well.  I think its mainly the linework that is really lacking in this piece; if you fix the lines for the treads, the front armor, the blob on the side, and maybe a little work on the main gun, you will have a pretty solid piece here!

Souly:
Don't ever dither metal.
Metal is smooth and shiny.

What's up with the left side?
I see a wheel then some random block, and then another wheel.
The perspective looks weird cause it's overlapping the tire.

JWW:
that's not the greatest advice, dithering can easily be applied to create a metal texture.  Right now dithering covers the entire piece.  Make more areas of solid colour and dither more sparingly.

Ryumaru:
if you want the dithering to still cover the entire piece, interlace dithering could be used to give a smooth metallic effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version