AuthorTopic: Feature 05 - Generic 16 color palette  (Read 200857 times)

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Re: Generic 16 color palette

Reply #100 on: December 09, 2007, 03:10:10 pm
Ehhh, I'm not so sure about that. This is foremost supposed to be a versatile palette, but it feels like you're adding in purple just for the sake of having purple.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: December 09, 2007, 06:00:31 pm

I understood that the aim of these 16 colours was to provide a common palette useful for many different pieces of art. As such surely putting a purple in there is making it more versatile? There were no purples or violets in there at all previously (wuith the exception of a bright pink) which is more of a limited color selection to chose from.

You are right that I haven't really used the purple yet in test artwork, but that's because I'm not much of an artist.. :p

Again, this doesn't have to be adopted, it's more for my own use.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #102 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:26 pm
I was ripping some speccy gfx and tried to 'fix' the palette. The halfbrights were pretty boring and pointless so... well, actually this is exatly how the V20 16col. pal. started out...

Re: Purple, it's... not my favourite color. It's not very common, but... I can totally see how it's usable from a graphic design perspective when you need range and separation of elements. For certain games that's a good thing since it helps readability. I'd rather throw a skintone in than having that purple. And then I'd... eventually end up with my 16 palette I've/We've been working on here.

With my V20 palette, I guess you could get a few grey-ish purples by using dithering (and bleeding) if you absolutely must have them.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:12:01 am by ptoing »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: December 13, 2007, 10:46:06 pm

For the speccy, I think a foreground and background colour chosen from 16 colours would have worked better. But really, it had no real custom chips and was very basic and simple (but cheap). It still worked as a computer, so I don't think we can really complain. There is always another feature we would have liked classic computers to have, and now with super PC's we are still not satisfied! ;)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: December 13, 2007, 10:49:55 pm
I was ripping some speccy gfx and tried to 'fix' the palette. The halfbrights were pretty boring and pointless so... well, actually this is exatly how the V20 16col. pal. started out...

Re: Purple, it's... not my favourite color. It's not very common, but... I can totally see how it's usable from a graphic design perspective when you need range and separation of elements. For certain games that's a good thing since it helps readability. I'd rather throw a skintone in than having that purple. And then I'd... eventually end up with my 16 palette I've/We've been working on here.

With my V20 palette, I guess you could get a few grey-ish purples by using dithering (and bleeding) if you absolutely must have them.

How will you ever make slimy aliens without purple, man!? D:>

Okay, so humans may be more widespread than aliens in videogaming and visual entertainment but still! D:>
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:12:11 am by ptoing »
' _ '

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #105 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:30 pm

Do slimy aliens have to be purple? ;)

On-topic: 16 colours is pretty limiting, but I think for a generic palette there should be some purple / violet in there. :D

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: December 13, 2007, 11:07:45 pm
Actually, I only see the need for a darker purpl:ish color, like the darker skin color Arne has there.

Combine it with blue and skin and you get something that you can trick the eye into believing is purple.

The lighter magenta:ish, though, I can see no use for either.

Except as hair colour on my fictional character Neon, but the name suggests that his colours aren't the most well-used either :D
' _ '

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #107 on: December 13, 2007, 11:13:31 pm

Well, I made the darkest brown in my version more purplish as I agree with you. Not sure about the mid-range purple, but it does seem to help break up the grey/brown/blue colours of the original!

I guess it really does depend on what gfx the colours are being used for.

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #108 on: January 08, 2008, 06:14:44 am
Hello,

on page 2 of this thread, there was a color ramp and a greyscale version of it - now is my question:
how do i make such a greyscale version out of the VGA16colourpalette?
the reason why i want to have that, is, that i want to know how to use the VGA16colour-map/-palette to design some pixelart like the good old ones did (yeah, it will be hard for me, but i'll try) . I dunno really how to explain that in english... you can use, lets say, a bright yellow, a bright blue and a white as shades of grey, if you like, and that is what i want to do with the VGA16colorpalette  :)

Greetings,
Ingo