AuthorTopic: Samurai pose  (Read 4739 times)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Samurai pose

on: February 21, 2007, 07:31:49 am
This is an image relating to a game that I'm working on. 8 colours. This is as good as I'm able to do myself, any ideas how to improve it?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: Samurai pose

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:45:34 pm
With the sun behind them, the shades on the face should be reversed. Highlight towards the outside of the face, shadow in the center. Like a silhouette effect. Right now the character looks a bit flat, but i think changing the lightsource would help it seem more dynamic and the samurai would look more 'in-the-scene'

edit: also, it looks like their chest is caving in. Maybe make the shoulders look a little broader?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:00:14 pm

Man, I really like the setting of this piece. However, I'm not a fan of anime-type art.

Yes, the sun being directly behind the samurai does entail a light source from behind only, unless there is an unknown light source in front. That seems to be one issue for your piece at the moment. For now, though, we'll act as if there is some light, undefined light source in front. My edit doesn't really do any thing spectacular, except  for detailing the pic a bit more. I also tried broadening the shoulders a bit, and shadowed the face a little more, seeing as how the strongest light source was behind him. Changed the hair style a bit, but that's just a personal preference. I probably wouldn't pay attention to how I did the sword, seeing as how I'm not very good at detailing them. So it was basically practice for me also. Detailed the background a bit also...but uh, yeah. Good job, and hope to see an update soon...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 04:16:28 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:08:42 pm
Yey! It's looking much better! :D Good points about the shoulders, I was kind of wondering if they're wide enough, this proves they weren't. Nice detailing in the hair, I can see that it really needed it and adding green to the shadows in his face was a clever touch. And the sword merges nicely with the sun, losing the outline made it look much sharper. Thanks a lot! :)

I'll post my improved version tomorrow.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 06:44:06 pm

Alright, here's my edit. I haven't been working on this sort of a restricted palette in ages, and the last time I did, I didn't know much about colour theories. Say, 10 years ago.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:27:24 pm
I really like the way this is turning out. I did an edit based on the earlier version. Then pixelation went all screwy and I couldn't post it, and now it looks like you've taken it in a completely different direction. :P Thought I'd post it anyway.

Basically, I removed the dithering. I feel that, generally, pieces done in this style are better suited to flat shading, as it helps retain the, I dunno, cartoony feel or something. I didn't change much, other than that, as far as I remember.

Honestly, I liked it a little better when it was a bit more simplistic, but it looks like you've decided to go in a slightly less cartoony direction, so my edit may be a bit useless at this point :P. If nothing else, though, I'd check out the AA and maybe smooth your version out just a bit. You have the proper colours, so you won't even have to mess with your palette. Regardless, I'm liking how it's coming along. Nice work ;D

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:01:00 pm
I really like the way this is turning out. I did an edit based on the earlier version. Then pixelation went all screwy and I couldn't post it, and now it looks like you've taken it in a completely different direction. :P Thought I'd post it anyway.

Basically, I removed the dithering. I feel that, generally, pieces done in this style are better suited to flat shading, as it helps retain the, I dunno, cartoony feel or something. I didn't change much, other than that, as far as I remember.

Honestly, I liked it a little better when it was a bit more simplistic, but it looks like you've decided to go in a slightly less cartoony direction, so my edit may be a bit useless at this point :P. If nothing else, though, I'd check out the AA and maybe smooth your version out just a bit. You have the proper colours, so you won't even have to mess with your palette. Regardless, I'm liking how it's coming along. Nice work ;D

Ah, I like the dither-smoothed tree branches and sun.The palette looks even more atmospheric in this edit, I like the simplified look of this. The only thing that bothers me is that the face that the face seems a bit transparent, as it's a big area of the same colour that the sky is. Good edit, thanks. :)

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:09:06 am
i agree on the no dither, as it adds to the style of the flat shading. keep it simple. and AA too. try to remove those outlines too, as tremulant did.