AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platformer Beastie  (Read 8584 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

[WIP] Platformer Beastie

on: February 24, 2007, 03:39:18 am
I'm trying my hand at animating a largish sprite, but I've very little anim experience, so please engage maximum criticism mode.

I'm reasonably happy with the flow of the walk, but I really don't like the bite or slash, they look really pussy, when I would rather them look mean.

Shape guide:
Rough silhouette anim (bite, slash, walk):

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer Beastie

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:26:30 am
Wow, surt the walk is very good I agree indeed.

Ok making that Bite and slash more vicious, if i were a bite/slash monster what would I do?

Slash:

Right now hes not slashing it's sort of a punch. Slashing for him would be at the bottom of the claws heres some advice:

Make the slashes come fom a lower angle meaning the place his arm behind him and swinging up at a 45' angle (makingis body turn in the direction of the slash) Don't be shy get up of your chair assume possision and swing a couple of slashes to get the feel and image into your mind. the second slash (if you doing combos) can be more of a uppercut slash fllowing ap fom the initial 45' slash. (really try the actions yourself)

So pretty much:
*Angle those slashes (A couple from the top couldn't hurt either will add to variety of attacks)
*Make the character turn accordingly to display momentum and power
*Get up and feel the motion

Bite:
it looks so slow, (I cant practise a beaatie bit now since I had all my wisdom teeth removed yesterday and my mouth is swollen :( ) My off the bat suggestions would be :
* Speed it up, make him spring into that bite, sap his jaw and yank back as if to ripp away the flesh of his opponent. (Also requires motion so get up and feel it)
* Also add some form of angle to it.
* Try making him bend down from lower and bite to higher position
* Make it more "snappy" like his really going to bite whatever he is biting OFF!

I can only think of those right now, you are however off to a great start and I do applaud you for your work so far. I love animation and altough I probably crit better than I animate I can't wait to see these improvements!

Best of luck,

SCiDT

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 04:36:04 pm
very nice peice so far, I love the animation, but both the claw slash, and the bite lack ferocity, as SCi mentioned, make it more snappy, and fast. Make it look like it wants nothing more than to rip its oppenents arms off.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 04:54:02 pm
I think the bite has too little action.
It seems much too timid to be some sort of attack.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 04:58:00 pm
agree with souly.

I think if there were fewer frames where he was moving his head forward (as well as closing his jaw) in the bite, it would look more rapid and vicious.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 06:08:04 pm
I think scidt's comments are on the right track.  Speed is an issue, as is the actual motion.  I'm not sure what your limitations are as far as sprite size, but it looks like you are trying to stay within a specific width, and the motion is suffering because of it.  When he bites, the basic body motion should be similar to like a crazy kung fu headbutt. His arms should fly back, making his shoulders surge forward, propelling the head into action!  Let's see a snappy bite too - this sprite is so large that with fast motions you are going to want to use some kind of motion blurring techniques on your tweens.  scidt's commentary on the slashes is dead on, you really need to twist the upper body a LOT more, and it has to be a frame or two before the actual slash, so that the movement has weight and power.  Very nice start, and it is encouraging to see you ironing out these problems at such an early stage.  Nice work!

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 06:15:35 pm
Here I'll try and find you some examples.

The B.O.B.:

Notice how it slows down and then snaps?
It makes the bite look a lot more vicious.

I think for your slash you just need more movement.
Right now he's dancing.
He shouldn't hit with the back of his hands though.

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:22:09 am

NOWHERE near as good as Souly's, but hopefully this will give you an idea bout angry arm swinging.
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 06:49:53 am
The animation wasn't actually Souly's, but we know what you mean.

Anyway, the arm flailing is a good example there, but his arms could be a little stiffer. I'm sure surt gets the general idea, i cannot wait to see the beastie animated. :)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:52:39 am
What you really need is timing. Let him pull the arm back, hold it back there for one or two frames, then just let it SWOOSH right across with heavy "blurring" for just one frame, then let him rest with the arm in its final position for two frames or so before he pulls it back to the idle stance.

The most important thing when making an animation that is supposed to look powerful, isn't to get the motion itself right. It's what happens before and after the strike that affects how strong it looks. With a long pre-slash "charging" and a long cool-down after, it'll look like he swung that arm around with a couple of tons of force. Which is what you want to do. I would try drawing an example, but my computer's KER-BROKEN and I don't have an animation program installed right now.