AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platformer Beastie  (Read 8587 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [WIP] Platformer Beastie

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:45:36 am
Thanks for the comments all.

Reworked the bite to have some withdrawl and lunge. Much better but still not there.

Reworked arm motion in slash, but have yet to carry it through to the body and legs, so lots more work here.

Reduced frame delay on both attacks.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:13:05 am
Looks like the arms shrink when he slashes. Other than that, extremely muchly improved. I love the new bite.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 10:16:39 pm
I agree, big improvement, but, I hope when this is done, there is crazy ferocity, like the B.O.B's peice, but its getitng there :y:
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 12:30:39 am
Malor: While I love B.O.B.'s flower I don't want deforming motion as I'm aiming for a less cartoony feel.

Lengthened arms during slash.
Added cheap turn anim.
Added more body motion and removed a frame from the slash.
Removed a frame from the bite.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 12:42:43 am
Hey, this is great. The arms seem longer when walking though. I'm not sure but maybe the bite was smoother on the withdrawal
on the previous version (and better imo). What about moving the body up and down when walking?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 01:27:54 am
Nice I really love it now, and I cannot wait until it is completely finished! And I can assume the arms are short because of the angle they are while resting? Anyways, looks very nice right now ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 03:41:53 am
His walk reminds me of a fashion model walking on heels, which is not the most adequate for the kind of weight and character you're conveying. I'd recommend the forward foot not move past where the neck meets the lower jaw, rather than go past the head. Think of how T-Rex's are usually animated (the body is lunged much more forward than the feet are placed on each step of the walk). Also, i don't think the arms should swing (forward) so much. Maybe also delay their movement relative to the steps, to relate greater weight.
It looks awesome anyways, good work! :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 04:05:43 pm

Man, I keep doing these edits, dangit.

Anyways, more anticipation frames, more frames after the action (what would I call them? Relief frames? :p) make action so much more action-y. And off course, faster movement.

I'm a frame whore, always adding in more and more frames, but here I think they help a bit with timing. Yus yus. And I made him bob up and down a bit in the walking frames too.

Alas, it's all very rough. I'm lazy when I edit :|
' _ '

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 12:30:40 am
I like how Jad's edit gives him a lot more weight.  He looks very formidable.

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 12:36:19 am
After Jad's edit it looks much better, but I would change the slash a bit more... This way it looks like it's swimming crawl, maybe if his arms make a whole curve while slashing it would look better... If you guys didn't get it I can make a scheme...
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT