AuthorTopic: WIP: Furry dancer... Need help!  (Read 11908 times)

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

WIP: Furry dancer... Need help!

on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:52 pm
After not pushing any pixels for a while, I got bored and tried it again...
I found out I still suck at lighting and stuff  :mean: so please help  ::)
As you can see c&c's are welcome, edits also by the way  :P

Vertigo

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: WIP: Furry dancer... Need help!

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 12:25:21 am
It's pillowshaded now, you did pick a lightsource but you shouldn't use it only against the outlines but a bit more to the middle like on the breasts.

It doesn't look very furry, maby this image (made by fool) will help out a bit if you want to make it more furry:

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:51:42 am
"Furry" is referring to a style of anime which humanises animals in usually a suggestive or sexual manner. Unless tastefully and skillfully done (which is very rare), it's a style I dislike with a passion... Furry might also be referring too any form of Anthropomorphic Creation though (like the cats in that play... you know the one, cats).
though in this case its the former... Down with furrys!

anyway

the picture itself suffers from some bad light source (only really catching the edges in the way you have is making it look flat) and to an extent, is pillowshaded. I cant really put to words how to fix this (as its a intuitive thing that comes with practise) so I'll try to do an edit to illustrate my point (edit: bah too busy to do a half decent one sorry, hope some one else can ^_^)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:49:48 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:42 pm
Well, that was certainly an unbiased and accurate description of the "furry" concept. I hate to do this here and now, but it goes more like this:

A "furry" can either refer to an anthropomorphic character, like the dancer here, or my avatar. Or, it can refer to a person who likes having to do with furries, such as one who roleplays as an anthro online (hi), one who regularly draws anthropomorphic characters (hi), someone who favors cartoons and games with "toon animals" (hi), and so on. A large part of the furry scene focuses on art and socializing, and yes, there's a shitload of suggestive and sexual art out there, but it is a minority when looking at the whole scene. I'd actually think the clean:dirty ratio is similar to the art in the non-furry part of the world. In any case, more often than not "furry" means anthropomorphic when talking about characters, and a lifestyle geared toward socializing with others in the scene and drawing/looking at art, when talking about people. Such as myself.

Yeah, I can't even draw human heads any longer. I'm a bit ashamed of that, but I don't like drawing humans anyhow, so it doesn't get in the way. I really don't see how that could possibly trigger someone to use the words "down with furrys". In fact, if you've "usually" seen furry being used in a sexual manner, I suspect you've really only seen the parts of the scene that people so love to just dig up from its context and post around on the web and trigger extensive use of words such as "freak", "sicko", and similar. I don't mind people doing that. They're right. But I do mind when it makes people believe that's all the word furry stands for.

Now for art: First thing that strikes me is that the anatomy and shading style is VERY close to what my art looked like when I joined the pixel art community. Meaning there are many things that are, in theory, fully correct, but it still doesn't look very interesting. My first suggestion would be to study anatomy more, because while I don't mind cylindrical arms and legs, a piece like this really needs some curves and shapes for it to look good. There's also things to be said about the shading and choice of palette, but I'll leave that for later.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:49:24 pm
Well, that was certainly an unbiased and accurate description of the "furry" concept. I hate to do this here and now, but it goes more like this:

A "furry" can either refer to an anthropomorphic character, like the dancer here, or my avatar. Or, it can refer to a person who likes having to do with furries, such as one who roleplays as an anthro online (hi), one who regularly draws anthropomorphic characters (hi), someone who favors cartoons and games with "toon animals" (hi), and so on. A large part of the furry scene focuses on art and socializing, and yes, there's a shitload of suggestive and sexual art out there, but it is a minority when looking at the whole scene. I'd actually think the clean:dirty ratio is similar to the art in the non-furry part of the world. In any case, more often than not "furry" means anthropomorphic when talking about characters, and a lifestyle geared toward socializing with others in the scene and drawing/looking at art, when talking about people. Such as myself.

Yeah, I can't even draw human heads any longer. I'm a bit ashamed of that, but I don't like drawing humans anyhow, so it doesn't get in the way. I really don't see how that could possibly trigger someone to use the words "down with furrys". In fact, if you've "usually" seen furry being used in a sexual manner, I suspect you've really only seen the parts of the scene that people so love to just dig up from its context and post around on the web and trigger extensive use of words such as "freak", "sicko", and similar. I don't mind people doing that. They're right. But I do mind when it makes people believe that's all the word furry stands for.

Now for art: First thing that strikes me is that the anatomy and shading style is VERY close to what my art looked like when I joined the pixel art community. Meaning there are many things that are, in theory, fully correct, but it still doesn't look very interesting. My first suggestion would be to study anatomy more, because while I don't mind cylindrical arms and legs, a piece like this really needs some curves and shapes for it to look good. There's also things to be said about the shading and choice of palette, but I'll leave that for later.

Actually after the "tastefully and skillfully done" comment I was going to put your avatar as an example (but couldn't remember your name so decided not too) still, the fact remains that I, personally, dislike furrys. I'm not sure why but I dislike them but something about the very nature of them bugs me. maybe it is biased and and inaccurate but it is my opinion none the less. deal. (for clarification when i said "down with furrys" i was referring to the first example of what i thought furrys where, not Anthropomorphic characters in general)

I will however apologize for the over generalization on my part, sorry, twas stupid. infact, i probably shouldn't have posted my opinion on it at all, this isn't really the place and i dont want to turn this thread into and argument of opinions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:51:08 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Vertigo-zero

• View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:55:59 pm
LOL looks like I started a hate/love discussion about furries :P anyway thanks for all your tips and im going to work on it right now :D

Offline Vertigo-zero

• View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 01:30:53 pm
Here is a small update:
Outline are a little furry now
Used some more shadow to repair some of the pillow shading
(Like shadows under arms, ears etc.)
Added more colour to the cloud

keep posting you C&C's!
(and your opinion about furries if you like  ;))
Vertigo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 01:36:20 pm by Vertigo-zero »

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:18:43 pm
Two can play at that game, Rox. :)

In short words: Anthropomorphism is making virtually anything humanlike. From animals to cacti to aeroplanes. The sex debate is THAAAAAAAAAATaway.

Vertigo:

The posing really bothered me quite a lot, as it looks very awkward and not "dancer"-ly. And since i'm horrible with verbal critique, I did an asstastic 10 minute notepad sketch that hopefully will teach you at least a little bit about bodily dynamics.

To the mods: I apologize DEARLY for lineart, and not pixel editing. VERY VERY SORRY. Don't hurt me. ;_;
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:22:28 pm by digitaldust »
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline Vertigo-zero

• View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:28:23 pm
You've got quite a point there :P Anyway indeed my dancer ain't dancing, but that wasnt my goal. But that doesnt mean Im not inspired by your drawing! Ill certainly try a more dynamic pose right after this :D That was coming up anyway because I keep making boring pixel-art. Ill let you know :)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 03:20:11 pm
She doesn't look very feminine and the pose also is a bit weird.
The limbs are... tubes.
I deciced to go the way of the helm and made a (crappy) photoshop edit to suggest a pose:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:50:18 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix