AuthorTopic: Might be of some interest to fans of either Zelda or the Cel-shaded look.  (Read 15429 times)

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile
This isn't really the right forum for serious gaming discussion.  I suggest that everybody leave this thread and go read a few game design textbooks.  Then spend a few months digging through insertcredit and the gamer's quarter, and then come back before you get too emo/postmodern.  Then we can all talk intelligently

That wasn't needed.  The forum is for pixel art, which is often directly linked to games.  And I have seen no arguing in this post, all constructive voicing of opinions...

Anyways, up to this point, my favorite is the Minish Cap...those little bastards are damn cute, and it was just cool seeing there little habitats.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I think all LA was the greatest of all, closely followed by Minish Cap and ALTTP. I played four swords for gamecube and it seemed pretty fun. I'd get it if I didn't want Baten Kaitos so badly. The Twilight Princess game looks awesome so far, but I just hope it has a nice story to match.

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile
This isn't really the right forum for serious gaming discussion blah blah

That wasn't needed.  The forum is for pixel art, which is often directly linked to games.  And I have seen no arguing in this post, all constructive voicing of opinions...

I don't see any arguing either, unless it is that I am arguing with you (omg!).  There's nothing wrong with discussing games casually, it's just that I cringe whenever I see something like "short games suck."  The general expertise of this forum is in art and graphic design (like the texture/cel shading hack this post was originally about), not in game design.

Speaking of which, that mod is sweet.  I wish my computer was powerful enough to play an n64 emulator in the first place.  The cel shading fits in a lot better than I thought it would.  The angular look actually fits in pretty well, kind of killer7-ish.

Also, that directory of pictures xion posted is a bunch of fan art by this guy.  He draws the most excellent panties I've ever seen.
rip ninjalicious

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
it's just that I cringe whenever I see something like "short games suck."

Ah, sorry. I guess that came out wrong. I meant it angers me when a game is really fun, but doesn't last nearly long enough (Beyond Good and Evil.) But, of course, I'd rather play an awesome five minute game than a terrible 80 hr one. I'd just rather the awesome game be a bit longer, or at least have some unlockables to play around with. I beat the aforementioned BG&E in 2 days, and then there was nothing left to do. It was fun while it lasted, but now it's just collecting dust.
That's what I meant to say. No offense to short games or short game lovers.

[edit]
...just the game for you

Holy freaking crap, it's a neverending install program.

...One that I've been running in the BG for about two hours.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 09:53:40 pm by Xion Night »

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Holy freaking crap, it's a neverending install program.

...One that I've been running in the BG for about two hours.

That's not installation, it's progress!

The whole thing is a satirical comment on the leveling-up grind that so many rpgs put you through (think early Dragon Quest games or mmorpgs)
rip ninjalicious

Offline Zulithe

• View Profile
I totally loved MM and WW.

A lot of people I know IRL got turned off by the starting town in MM. It is kinda hard considering it is pretty much your first quest and those 3 days can go by awfully quick. I wasn't able to complete it until my third try, but after that I found the rest of the game about as difficult as other Zelda games (and just as fun, if not MORE fun than Ocarina of Time) Thankfully you get a song that slows down time fairly early which helps a lot. I believe people who hate MM are just the lazy ones who didn't stick with it long enough to let it win you over. :)

WW was a dramatic departure from the series in several ways, the most obvious being its visual style. I admit, I wouldn't want ALL Zelda games to look that way, but it was a nice change for once. I liked the style. It intends to look like a cartoon while you're playing it and it did that very well. I loved the concept of a Hyrule that instead of being 80% plains, it was 80% water and you traveled on a boat instead of a horse. I also liked the treasure hunting but it was very difficult to locate all of the chests (at least for me)

I don't know, I think some people are too hard on the Zelda series. It tries very hard to make each game unique and I admire that.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't have seen this.
It's an early video of the project in action.
http://www.emutalk.net/attachments/high-resolution-textures-projects/24697-djipis-cel-zelda-mod-essai.zip?d=1116153079

Shame I don't have any N64 Roms... I would've liked to have given this project a test drive when it was done.