AuthorTopic: First Pixel Art: Eye (WIP)  (Read 8059 times)

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Re: First Pixel Art: Eye (WIP)

Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:56:25 am
Sooo... I guess it's fine? *shrug

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 06:38:56 am
   Looks pretty good to me. There are still a wee bit of kinks to work out, though. Her bottom eye lid is a little too close to the shade of her eyeball. Tends to make it look as if she is crying. Even if this is so, it still doesn't look quite right, in my opinion. I did look at the reference, and yar, I noticed that the bottom eye lid is about the same color as the eye ball itself. However, in the reference, the bottom eye lid has some shadows towards the ends, where as yours is the same color throughout. Might wanna detail it a wee bit more, as well as mixing the purple shadows a little bit more.

Lookin' sexay', though I must admit. I'm lovin' the shine on her iris. Very, very nice. A little more tweaking, and I say you can call it quits with the ojo...
my back hurts...

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 04:56:37 pm
Okay! I finally finished it. I think I may need more tweaking as it seems a little messy to me. Well, I'd like to know what you guys think.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:49 pm
I'd crop the picture a little bit tighter, and may even try giving the bottom eye lid a slightly darker shadow/shade. Other wise, stick a fork in it, it's done...
my back hurts...

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:56:02 pm
Ahhh thanks BOB!

And thank you to everybody else that has been helping. More will come from me...mwahahaha :-)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 02:02:47 am
heres a quicky edit i made for you.
hope you dont mind.

I wasnt a huge fan about the checkerboard dither pattern you have going on.
So i thought id share perhaps a different approach.

(mine on left, yours on right)

I played with the iris and eye lids mostly.
Instead of using the checkerboard dither pattern i used a different technique - Dynamic Dithering (DD).
I ended up drawing lots of different lines that follow the curves and forms of your shapes. These lines ended up running into each other, crossing and such, creating lots of broken lines as the dither pattern. There really is no set pattern. It is how your coloured lines interact with eachother depending on the shape its filling in.
by doing so it not only blends like in dithering, but it helps to accentuate the curves and shapes of the image. It can help give more depth and form because not only is your lineart creating the shapes that give the image form, but your colouring now also contributes because it follows those shapes that the lineart set.

I didnt touch the lashes, eyebrow or part inbetween eye and eyebrow because they seemed unfinished. Also, it would allow you to try in those areas if you so chose.

hopefully that makes abit of sense.
if not, i could try and elaborate alittle more.

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 03:00:27 am
I thank you, Flaber, for that edit and explanation. I believe it's exactly what I was looking for in order to improve the eye especially the eyelashes and eyebrows.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 04:13:40 am
heres a quicky edit i made for you.
I played with the iris and eye lids mostly.
I didnt touch the lashes, eyebrow or part inbetween eye and eyebrow because they seemed unfinished. Also, it would allow you to try in those areas if you so chose.

Actually, I don't think he did anything with the eyebrows, or lashes. I think his edit mainly consisted of the type of dithering on the skin and iris. To be honest, the DD in Flaber's version doesn't have quite as much "pop" as Khorin's. I think his version looks a little too soft, while Khorin's, although sharp, gives more of a glossy reflection, that eyes retain. However, I do like the way he textured the upper eye lid. Blends much better, me thinks...
my back hurts...

Offline khorin

• View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 05:46:10 am
I actually like the iris the way I had it but the upper eyelid I might change. I know Flaber didn't edit the lashes or brow but I figured I may have to use DD on those areas...?

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 05:49:41 am
I actually like the iris the way I had it but the upper eyelid I might change. I know Flaber didn't edit the lashes or brow but I figured I may have to use DD on those areas...?

Try using it on the space between the eye and eyebrow.
It takes alittle bit to understand and get the hang of.
the lashes should be fine without because they are all solid colour.
maby, just alittle little bit on the eyebrow itself, but its mostly solid colour too - so try it just on the left side where it kinks and you already have the dither.

if you have any problems or questions concering DD, i can help you with it, if your interested in learning.