AuthorTopic: Artists salary  (Read 6385 times)

Offline MCNS

• View Profile

Artists salary

on: February 21, 2007, 09:44:26 am
Hi

I'm new to this forum, well actually I frequently visit and read forum post, you guys here are so talented. Anyway now I have decided to register. I have a question about artist payment, so please forgive me if this topic has been explained before.

In my freetime I have been working on a 2d platform game completely freeware, the gfx/tiles has been temporary replacements like those found in spritelib, however I'd really like to have some original tiles, but I can't make graphics if my life depends on it,  so I thought about posting a request in the job section, however it's my experience that most unpaid requests rarely results in the programmer actually finding an artist, so my question to you is, how much would and artist ask for payment? the job would be like doing 30-40 tiles  32x32 (8 bit)

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: Artists salary

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:58:02 pm
It's not about how much an artist asks, it's about how much you give. If you are willing to spend $200 I'm pretty sure you'll find someone, if you ask $50 you may find someone to but you'll get lesser replies and the artists willing to take the job won't be one of the best pixel artists around here, but that doesn't mean the quality will be very poor ;).

Offline MCNS

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:23:19 pm
Well I guess many hobbyist programmers have the same problem as me, so I thought a forum like this probably would be the best way to find a pixel artist. I suppose I could manage spending around $200, at this point I would be pretty happy to find someone who would be willing to do some tiles. But being a newcomer on this forum, I didn't really have any clue on how much amount of money would be fair.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 03:00:41 pm
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1535.0

please do a quick search, before starting a new thread, that way you will find your answers a lot quicker.   :D

Offline MCNS

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:53:00 pm
Well thanks for doing the work for me :)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 04:11:18 am
I dunno about 30-40 tiles specifically, but in my experience the freelance artist rates are generally:

$10/hour = lowballing or first gig
$15 = low-end
$20 = decent
$25-30 = experienced
$35+ = very pro (fast and worth the cash)

- Adam

Offline MCNS

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 11:34:21 am
But how do you know, how many hours an artist has spend making the gfx. You have no way to check up on it.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:18:15 pm
You'll have to trust him/her or pay him/her for the tiles they make and not for the hours

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 12:47:29 am
I wouldn't expect any people here that are experienced enough to make art for a game to actually lie about their hours. Most of us seem pretty honest. At least, I hope we are. Plus, you can probably tell if they're adding onto their hours significantly just by looking at the quality of the work.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 01:15:52 am
you can also work out a deadline, or the timeframe in which an artist should get the work done. This helps the artist get a clearer idea on the speed they should work, and how many hours per day they should work on it. To do this though, the artist needs to know exactly what is to be needed ahead of time, so they can estimate a timeframe for you. Or you can estimate it yourself if you feel you can.