AuthorTopic: Bit of Grass  (Read 4323 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Bit of Grass

on: February 20, 2007, 07:46:41 pm
I got bored last night and started this. The tiles is 16 x 16 and I wanted to see how it looked tiled. Yes, I know. It's quite a bit repeating but as far as detail goes I think it looks good.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Re: Bit of Grass

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 11:24:46 pm
No crits?

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:10 pm
Wait a day (or three) before you bump again asking for comments and critics.

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 01:36:28 am
Learn ideal hues of green: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=922.0

and lower your saturation gradually on the bits that are not highlights.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:15:49 pm by Fizz »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 02:34:15 am
Don't mean to be rude or the like but there aren't any rules really stating I HAVE to use certain colors are there? As the tileset I'm making will use very solid and bright colors similar to that grass.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 02:42:26 am
are you aware that flashing bright and solid colors can give people spazz attacks?   :crazy: :crazy:

but seriously, please, tune down the saturation, and perhaps get a bit of hue shifting going...
untz untz untz?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 03:11:32 am
Don't mean to be rude or the like but there aren't any rules really stating I HAVE to use certain colors are there? As the tileset I'm making will use very solid and bright colors similar to that grass.

You are partially correct, as there is no "proper color" unless you are working with a restricted palette, which is obviously not the case. But there is a line between style choice and just plain ol' bad decisions. I would try to revamp the colorscheme, as it would benefit the tile immensly.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:20 am
Grass can not be painted by selecting 2-4 values of pure green and then randomly spraying until the distribution seems even.  This is basically white noise, snowstorm, ant race, whatever you call it when the channel isn't coming in.  It has no logic, no order, and thus conveys no information.  I recommend starting over and painting some grass.  You may as well start with the classic:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/chapter1.htm

Recognize #3? ;)  Grass has structure and logic and a wide variety of interesting colors and hues.  Learn them and use them!

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 09:15:31 pm
I'm sorry, that was bad wording. I meant an ideal range of green, there's no set rules. :D

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55:17 pm
Grass can not be painted by selecting 2-4 values of pure green and then randomly spraying until the distribution seems even.  This is basically white noise, snowstorm, ant race, whatever you call it when the channel isn't coming in.  It has no logic, no order, and thus conveys no information.  I recommend starting over and painting some grass.  You may as well start with the classic:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/chapter1.htm

Recognize #3? ;)  Grass has structure and logic and a wide variety of interesting colors and hues.  Learn them and use them!

Ah, I've read this tutorial before and I clearly understand what you're saying. But, I didn't randomly spray. I placed each pixel by hand. I also tried to do it by working from the inside out. In a sense.