AuthorTopic: What is wrong with this?  (Read 4751 times)

Offline animann

• View Profile

What is wrong with this?

on: February 20, 2007, 02:11:13 pm

For some reason I feel like something is very wrong with this. Can someone point it out or better yet edit this. It is supposed to be a bald head for my base character.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: What is wrong with this?

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:24:01 am
http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

study the section on light dynamics, ambient light, etc.

The main problem here is that the different tones and shades cannot be easily recognized, they are too close together. Also, a highlight does not touch the very edge of an object, in most cases, especially round objects such as a head. Before you reach the outer edge of the scalp, revert back to using the mid-tone color for the skin. Make the highlight a little oval/circle on the head. The chin/jaw area is also lacking proper shading, hopefully the tutorial will help you, and you'll be able to define a lightsource and shade this correctly.

Other than that it looks decent. Maybe the eyes are a bit too close together.

Offline animann

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:24:29 am
thanks for the tip and I think I learned a lot from th tut. Now can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:27:30 am by animann »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:49:12 am
Hmm.. If he straightens his right arm then it'll be twice as long as the left arm.. in other words, the left arm is too short.

Offline animann

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:09:59 am
Is this any better?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:22:59 am
Is this any better?

Much. Not only did you lengthen the arm to an near accurate (Near perfect is a little too much, but that came off as too little) length, you also greatly improved the anatomy of the arm. Great job there.

However, I think his eyes are too big, but you might be going for that. His nose looks like it ends above the bottom of the eyes, which is hugely inaccurate, and he has no mouth (As I'm sure you didn't notice).
Somethings also wrong with the torso, but I haven't really studied those at all, so I can't comment.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline animann

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:04:30 am
Is this any better? Have I improved?
MY OLD WORK:

MY LATEST:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:44:54 am by animann »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:41:14 pm
its a step in the right direction to be sure, but you are still relying heavily on your conditioning instead of your eyes, and the result is something that still has a lot of troubles.  currently, if you are like the vast majority of young art students, youve been exposed to a lot of anime, cartoons, and other impressions which have created in your mind an image of what looks right, and when you pull straight from the mind without observing, you get that pure mental impression that doesnt always look right.  The only way to replace this mental falsity is by years - not hours - of observational study.  i would strongly suggest your next piece be from life, and, if that helps at all, to then continue that trend for a while.  as you do, you should be able to gradually alter your mental images of the characters you want until they look more and more correct.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 01:07:52 am
Is this any better? Have I improved?
MY OLD WORK:

MY LATEST:

the older sprite's idle animation looks like he is scratching his testicles, or masturbating, I'd move the hands. But, I must say I prefer the older to the newer.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 04:57:15 pm
Malor.. it doesn't look like either of those things. At the most it looks like he is patting his upper thigh.

Why does everything have to become something to do with masturbating lately? Quit being so immature.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.