AuthorTopic: [WIP] Squall Leonhart -- Lacking much in the confidence department.  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

I quit halfway, but I want crit so that I can continue.

It looks uninteresting. I'm being too critical on myself, outside intervention is needed.
I hope to make my first walk cycles with this piece.

I'm trying to mimic the overworld model's longer look, and stuff.

He wears a lot of black, and I'm having trouble with that, too.

But please find something massive to crit, I hate it. Dx
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:50:06 pm by Luminous_Reaver »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
You'd benefit if you did unrelated, pencil and paper anatomy study with a book or something and then returned to pixels. Then you'd know what sort of posture you're trying to absrtract from to get a small-scale sprite. As it is, he's got horse legs (seem to bent inwards, massive hips, hoof legs) and generally the posture is very girly. You need strong arm placement, confident spread feet in a upside down V and so on. But even if you fix that for this sprite, you'll learn a bit, but the best way would be to buy an anatomy and human construction book and start doing every excercise. I promise it's a better way to learn than struggling with the added difficulty of how much a single pixel out of 16 changes everything in a sprite posture.

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile
You'd benefit if you did unrelated, pencil and paper anatomy study with a book or something and then returned to pixels. Then you'd know what sort of posture you're trying to absrtract from to get a small-scale sprite. As it is, he's got horse legs (seem to bent inwards, massive hips, hoof legs) and generally the posture is very girly. You need strong arm placement, confident spread feet in a upside down V and so on. But even if you fix that for this sprite, you'll learn a bit, but the best way would be to buy an anatomy and human construction book and start doing every excercise. I promise it's a better way to learn than struggling with the added difficulty of how much a single pixel out of 16 changes everything in a sprite posture.

I'm working on my anatomy, and stuff, but I don't want to quit pixel art, not even for a second, you know?
Actually, I think my perspective is pretty bad on this one, too.

*sigh* Okay, I'm going to go look for an anatomy for dummies thing online.

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile
Dearest Helm

He's not cardboard now. I wanted to blow you away with something more finished but school and stuff.
PS thanks Ryu for teaching (or bringing to my attention) that a pixel isn't the absolute smallest thing in a piece, or something like that. I can't really phrase properly for some reason.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
the torso seems to be 45 degrees rotated on the groin. This reminds me of GIJoe or something. The upper body can't turn that drastically without spines breaking. Upper body neds a few more pixels height. The last on the top row, on the right, is probably the one that suffers from broken spine the less, but the pose is still constipated.