AuthorTopic: [WIP] Punk  (Read 14540 times)

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Punk

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 06:40:00 pm
Why are his feet perfectly flat on the bottom and blob-shaped otherwise?  What magical light source can illuminate 90% of his head but leave the other 10% in dark shadow?  Why are you painting on a bright white background?  Why is his mohawk fully-lit even when it is traversing the same areas of the head that are in dark shadow?  Why are his arms so short?  Why is his adam's apple too low?  What are those weird lines on his shoes?  Why did you use reasonable hue-shifting for his skin tones, and saturated straight ramps for every other surface?

This piece looks very rushed and haphazard to me.  This is very natural when you're a beginner, and not something to fear or embrace, but merely to notice and understand.  The easiest way to self-critique and improve is to slow down just a little bit, and to look at every element of your image and ask yourself "why did I put this here?"  I have tried to step in and be this voice for you here.  You are not at a level where simple observations are going to result in a permanent quality increase in your artwork; they will be bandaids on a larger problem.  You need to come at this with an analytical mindset; art is very subjective and creative, but improving it and correcting mistakes (regardless of style) is a matter of practice and discipline and self-honesty.  Take a step back and look at every part of this image and consider why you made it look like you did.  Was it because someone told you to but you don't understand why?  Figure out why!  Did you just do it because you had no idea what else to do there?  Figure out what you should have done!  Not sure how to shade this part?  Look up references!  Your work suffers from nonsensical choices regardless of style or aim, and some simple analytical thinking would go a long way toward correcting these problems.

You seem to have time and inspiration enough, you just need to develop the ability to examine your own work critically.  You will always need input from others to advance your work (we all do!) but you should always be your own worst critic.

Keep at it!

man i dont understand 90% of what u said, im brazilian and im not good in english, sure i need some english class

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:36:16 pm
Por que são seus pés perfeitamente lisos no fundo e blob-são dados forma de outra maneira? Que fonte clara mágica pode iluminar 90% de sua cabeça mas deixa o outro 10% na sombra escura? Por que é você que pinta em um fundo branco brilhante? Por que é seu mohawk cheio-se iluminou mesmo quando está atravessando as mesmas áreas da cabeça que estão na sombra escura? Por que são seus braços assim curtos? Por que é a maçã do seu adam demasiado baixa? Que são aquelas linhas estranhas em suas sapatas? Por que você usou hue-deslocar razoável para seus tons da pele, e rampas retas saturated para cada outra superfície? Esta parte olha apressada muito e haphazard a mim. Este é muito natural quando você é um novato, e não algo temer ou embrace, mas observar e compreender meramente. A maneira a mais fácil à self-crítica e melhora é retardar para baixo um pouco justo, e para olhar cada elemento de sua imagem e para perguntar-se yourself “porque eu pus isto aqui?” Eu tentei pisar dentro aqui e ser esta voz para você. Você não é em um nível aonde as observações simples estejam indo resultar em um aumento permanente da qualidade em sua arte -final; serão bandaids em um problema maior. Você necessita vir neste com um mindset analítico; a arte é muito subjetiva e creativa, mas melhorá-la e corrigir erros (não obstante o estilo) são uma matéria da prática e a disciplina e o self-honesty. Fazer exame de uma etapa para trás e olhar cada parte desta imagem e considerar porque você lhe fêz o olhar como você. Era porque alguém o disse o que a mas não compreender por que? Figurar para fora porque! Você justo f-lo porque você não teve nenhuma idéia que outro a fazer lá? Figura para fora o que você deve ter feito! Nao certo como proteger esta parte? Olhar acima referências! Seu trabalho sofre das escolhas nonsensical não obstante o estilo ou o alvo, e algum pensar analítico simples iria uma maneira longa para corrigir estes problemas. Você parece ter o tempo e a inspiração bastante, você necessidade justa desenvolver a abilidade de examinar crìticamente seus próprios trabalho. Você necessitará sempre a entrada de outra avançar seu trabalho (nós todos!) mas você deve sempre ser seu próprio crítico mais mau. Sustento nele!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 09:49:50 pm
Ok lets try this piece from zero

Lineart

Basic color + Fix the boots

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 04:22:36 pm
any comments?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:35 pm
His ear's too low.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 07:09:03 am

I don't believe this edit will help you become better really, but it helps with anatomy and super-deformation and such. I think you should focus on your fundamental art skills for a while, not pixel art.

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:07:01 pm
Im doing a total remade, i'll edit this post when i finish

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:16:15 pm
It's looking good though -- and it's good to see someone paying so much attention to the comments of others, and putting lots of work into improving something.  :y:
I look forward to an update!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 05:39:06 pm
sry for the late post guys, i dont have any time to stay in PC, but i finished the lineart

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:26 pm
You've got some work to do on the legs still, but this is a massive improvement, keep at it!