AuthorTopic: [WIP] Punk  (Read 14481 times)

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

[WIP] Punk

on: February 20, 2007, 02:58:38 am

how how

Im not good in pixel art (especially in color)

for sure i need help of all in this piece

first post here  :y: :y: :y: :y: :y:

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Punk

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:21:46 pm
How about some critics?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:23:41 pm
How about some critics?

How about something more than just a sketchy lineart?

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:43:03 pm
< off subject >feron you are the worst i have ever seen for CnC and with being nice about it o.O.. you could have said the same thing more politely. also there IS stuff you can crit with just sketchy line art.. like the lineart if bits look wrong its allot better to get cnc now about it then when its all cleaned and colourd< / off subject >

ok back on subject.. some crits

1... looks like its going good so far, i would bring the Mohawk front a tiny bit forward or at least leaning forward
2...make the neck a bit thinker/shorter to hold that massive head.
3... his arm which is furthest back should be bought faward a bit more it looks like its attached to his back atm.

apart from that just clean it up i think.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:52 pm
This isn't a set-in-stone rule by any means, but generally, if you are inexperienced or have trouble with your colors, you may want to start with a smaller piece where you can experiment more efficiently.  Tackling a piece this enormous requires a lot of thought and planning!  I'd shrink him to about 1/4 the size he is, clean him up, and start practicing those colors!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 08:35:00 pm
Okee Dokee, redimensioned and cleaned

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:46:39 pm by Unlocked »

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:25:20 pm
well

start colour it ^^

start by choosing which colour to use... like blue for the pants maybe :)

have different saturation on the colour to get the shading effect, also don't forget from which direction the light source are coming.

also it would be nice to see the pants a little bit worn out...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:27:23 pm by Serendor »

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 12:29:23 am
thats y im talking, look at this crap colouring  :mean: :mean:

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:38:34 am
that back arm still needs to be moved faward a bit
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:51:26 pm

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 04:11:45 pm
I say you fix up the lines before you bother coloring it.

The forehead is way too big, his jaw line and mouth are all wrong.
Why does his Mohawk curve?
Why does he only have 4 abs?

You know, fingers don't start long and get short.
Look at your hands.

His nostril is way off.

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 07:11:22 pm
Souly maybe thats the style that goed with the punk...  :-\ dunno
anyway at least its smaller now because your line-art would have gotten way too big.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:59:11 pm
Style or not, these flaws make this peice looks horrible.
It needs much work before he even bothers with coloring.

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 09:17:37 pm
Thx for inspiration souly

I make some changes

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 09:47:01 pm
I haven't slept in a few days.
So I did a sketch before I pass out here.

Excuse this sketch if you're going for a more "cartoony" approach.

Edit: And now I just realized you changed his mouth.

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 04:18:08 pm

Sure ur edit help me alot souly, really thanks  :y: :y: :y:

here some changes

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 04:29:39 pm
It is looking much nicer :) I'm hoping you can make this thing a nice peice ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 04:49:51 pm
Well my sketch didn't give him a rat tail at the end of it.
That was supposed to be is neck.

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 04:53:09 pm
Well my sketch didn't give him a rat tail at the end of it.
That was supposed to be is neck.

yah i know, but the rat tail is my idea =P

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 06:20:39 pm
Why are his feet perfectly flat on the bottom and blob-shaped otherwise?  What magical light source can illuminate 90% of his head but leave the other 10% in dark shadow?  Why are you painting on a bright white background?  Why is his mohawk fully-lit even when it is traversing the same areas of the head that are in dark shadow?  Why are his arms so short?  Why is his adam's apple too low?  What are those weird lines on his shoes?  Why did you use reasonable hue-shifting for his skin tones, and saturated straight ramps for every other surface?

This piece looks very rushed and haphazard to me.  This is very natural when you're a beginner, and not something to fear or embrace, but merely to notice and understand.  The easiest way to self-critique and improve is to slow down just a little bit, and to look at every element of your image and ask yourself "why did I put this here?"  I have tried to step in and be this voice for you here.  You are not at a level where simple observations are going to result in a permanent quality increase in your artwork; they will be bandaids on a larger problem.  You need to come at this with an analytical mindset; art is very subjective and creative, but improving it and correcting mistakes (regardless of style) is a matter of practice and discipline and self-honesty.  Take a step back and look at every part of this image and consider why you made it look like you did.  Was it because someone told you to but you don't understand why?  Figure out why!  Did you just do it because you had no idea what else to do there?  Figure out what you should have done!  Not sure how to shade this part?  Look up references!  Your work suffers from nonsensical choices regardless of style or aim, and some simple analytical thinking would go a long way toward correcting these problems.

You seem to have time and inspiration enough, you just need to develop the ability to examine your own work critically.  You will always need input from others to advance your work (we all do!) but you should always be your own worst critic.

Keep at it!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 06:40:00 pm
Why are his feet perfectly flat on the bottom and blob-shaped otherwise?  What magical light source can illuminate 90% of his head but leave the other 10% in dark shadow?  Why are you painting on a bright white background?  Why is his mohawk fully-lit even when it is traversing the same areas of the head that are in dark shadow?  Why are his arms so short?  Why is his adam's apple too low?  What are those weird lines on his shoes?  Why did you use reasonable hue-shifting for his skin tones, and saturated straight ramps for every other surface?

This piece looks very rushed and haphazard to me.  This is very natural when you're a beginner, and not something to fear or embrace, but merely to notice and understand.  The easiest way to self-critique and improve is to slow down just a little bit, and to look at every element of your image and ask yourself "why did I put this here?"  I have tried to step in and be this voice for you here.  You are not at a level where simple observations are going to result in a permanent quality increase in your artwork; they will be bandaids on a larger problem.  You need to come at this with an analytical mindset; art is very subjective and creative, but improving it and correcting mistakes (regardless of style) is a matter of practice and discipline and self-honesty.  Take a step back and look at every part of this image and consider why you made it look like you did.  Was it because someone told you to but you don't understand why?  Figure out why!  Did you just do it because you had no idea what else to do there?  Figure out what you should have done!  Not sure how to shade this part?  Look up references!  Your work suffers from nonsensical choices regardless of style or aim, and some simple analytical thinking would go a long way toward correcting these problems.

You seem to have time and inspiration enough, you just need to develop the ability to examine your own work critically.  You will always need input from others to advance your work (we all do!) but you should always be your own worst critic.

Keep at it!

man i dont understand 90% of what u said, im brazilian and im not good in english, sure i need some english class

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:36:16 pm
Por que são seus pés perfeitamente lisos no fundo e blob-são dados forma de outra maneira? Que fonte clara mágica pode iluminar 90% de sua cabeça mas deixa o outro 10% na sombra escura? Por que é você que pinta em um fundo branco brilhante? Por que é seu mohawk cheio-se iluminou mesmo quando está atravessando as mesmas áreas da cabeça que estão na sombra escura? Por que são seus braços assim curtos? Por que é a maçã do seu adam demasiado baixa? Que são aquelas linhas estranhas em suas sapatas? Por que você usou hue-deslocar razoável para seus tons da pele, e rampas retas saturated para cada outra superfície? Esta parte olha apressada muito e haphazard a mim. Este é muito natural quando você é um novato, e não algo temer ou embrace, mas observar e compreender meramente. A maneira a mais fácil à self-crítica e melhora é retardar para baixo um pouco justo, e para olhar cada elemento de sua imagem e para perguntar-se yourself “porque eu pus isto aqui?” Eu tentei pisar dentro aqui e ser esta voz para você. Você não é em um nível aonde as observações simples estejam indo resultar em um aumento permanente da qualidade em sua arte -final; serão bandaids em um problema maior. Você necessita vir neste com um mindset analítico; a arte é muito subjetiva e creativa, mas melhorá-la e corrigir erros (não obstante o estilo) são uma matéria da prática e a disciplina e o self-honesty. Fazer exame de uma etapa para trás e olhar cada parte desta imagem e considerar porque você lhe fêz o olhar como você. Era porque alguém o disse o que a mas não compreender por que? Figurar para fora porque! Você justo f-lo porque você não teve nenhuma idéia que outro a fazer lá? Figura para fora o que você deve ter feito! Nao certo como proteger esta parte? Olhar acima referências! Seu trabalho sofre das escolhas nonsensical não obstante o estilo ou o alvo, e algum pensar analítico simples iria uma maneira longa para corrigir estes problemas. Você parece ter o tempo e a inspiração bastante, você necessidade justa desenvolver a abilidade de examinar crìticamente seus próprios trabalho. Você necessitará sempre a entrada de outra avançar seu trabalho (nós todos!) mas você deve sempre ser seu próprio crítico mais mau. Sustento nele!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 09:49:50 pm
Ok lets try this piece from zero

Lineart

Basic color + Fix the boots

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 04:22:36 pm
any comments?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:35 pm
His ear's too low.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 07:09:03 am

I don't believe this edit will help you become better really, but it helps with anatomy and super-deformation and such. I think you should focus on your fundamental art skills for a while, not pixel art.

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 05:07:01 pm
Im doing a total remade, i'll edit this post when i finish

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 06:16:15 pm
It's looking good though -- and it's good to see someone paying so much attention to the comments of others, and putting lots of work into improving something.  :y:
I look forward to an update!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 05:39:06 pm
sry for the late post guys, i dont have any time to stay in PC, but i finished the lineart

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:26 pm
You've got some work to do on the legs still, but this is a massive improvement, keep at it!

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: March 08, 2007, 08:19:13 pm
You've got some work to do on the legs still, but this is a massive improvement, keep at it!

I must agree, I can't wait to see this thing finished o.0
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:49 pm
I agree with them ^^^ as well. Massive improvement. The only thing I'd say is that I'd like to see him still smile. Like, keep the eyes all angry but have him with a little smirk or something.
But I guess that's just the spirit of the Terror Raven coming back to speak through me. I...must...smile devilishly!

Offline Unlocked

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 03:37:00 am
some little changes, still need help on his leg

Offline Pownatized

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 03:54:26 am
I think the perspective on his left leg is off. You've made it much smaller as if it was behind him, yet his leg protrudes straight out, perpendicular to our view.

Also, I think hes leaning back a bit too much, looks like hes about to fall over. Having his arms out in front would help make him seem balanced.