AuthorTopic: Where do you want to be in 5 years - artistically and professionally?  (Read 14620 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile
Well, I'll definitely keep working with 3D, that's for sure. I hope to find a job, any job, involving graphics or design in games. And thanks to my current education and the extreme lack of good 3D artists in this country, I don't think I'll have any problems with that.

I'm also very interested in animation, both 3D and traditional 2D animation. If I can bother, I might try doing some "pencil" animations sometime. But considering how short my attention span is with 2D art nowdays.. we'll see...

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile
I want to have a book printed and published, and I want to have finished a game. Ideally, I'd love to find a way to make games for a living, but I think it'd take a huge stroke of luck for that to happen. I also want to get into grad school, but first I need to figure out how to pay for it.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile
I'd like to Get off me "arse" and finish writing my script/plot line to my characters, and their story. Also would like to write a script one day, but my skills as a writer are pretty much crap as of yet. Need to learn better structure and whatnot. Professionally, I see myself still doing tech support, but hopefully I can move up a bit, for better pay. If I start getting a better grasp of this pixeling thing, technically speaking, I'll try and start helping with creating some games.

Artistically, I NEED to learn how to draw digital art, other than pixels. I was getting in the groove of Photoshop, but lost interest, due to everything I drew looked so blurry. I still don't understand how people get such clear lines, with their finished product. I'll figure something out though.
I'm in a gray area at the moment, but hope to soon light a fire in my ass to get things going towards a positive direction...
my back hurts...

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile
in 5 years I'd love to be out of uni and into a job that I'd enjoy, the reason why people go through years of education is to 'find the job for you'. Atm I have no idea what exactly what Im going to be doing but I am interested in animation, I've always had a vivid image that some day I'd be animating..

But artistically I feel things are falling into place, I do have a natural desire to live to my potential.. constantly looking back at work in disgust and swearing that I can do better, what was I thinking!?.. But im sure a lot of you are like that.

What I really need to concentrate on is the bare essentials of art, traditional techniques and learning to just observe and take in as much as I can. Im going to have to put together a portfolio this year to prepare for university next year so I've got a lot of work ahead of me, Im no where near what I expect of myself.

I've read a few animating books, so I know what im getting myself into.. What I need to learn is how to be an excellent draftsman, and to learn how to draw well. Animating can always be picked up later.

If any of you lot lives up to your dreams, don't forget about us will ya  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:12:53 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Oh yeah, I'd also like to get better at reading my poetry and spoken word as well as finish at least three really long short stories so I can compile and publish them.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint
Artistically, to become a master of drawing anatomy. I've recently picked up a couple of books on the matter. I also want to spice up my animation skills while I'm at it and plan to purchase the ever elusive Animators Survival Kit to help myself along the way. I also plan to have a few indie freeware games under my belt.

Professionally, I see myself smacking my bitches for not paying up. Damn you hoes! ... pimpin' ain't easy yo

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic
Artistically: Acceptable knowledge of human and animal anatomy, perspective, color theory, and observation.  Am I really asking that much? ;)  Color theory is getting there, but the rest have a really long ways to go...

Professionally: Designing, programming and painting original games for whatever the prevalent low-end handheld or console is at the time (equivalent of XBLA, DS, PSP, or WiiVC).  The 2 or 3 games we develop and release by then will put us on stable footing with our publisher of choice (Atlus, maybe Majesco or Capcom).  And, while I'm at it, maidens!  Maidens with grapes.  And those big leaves.

Hobbies: I want to create an original NES ROM - ASM, art and music, the whole deal.  Drawing dinos is pretty high on the list too.  Maquettes fascinate me, and I'd like to write more.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Drawing dinos

there's dino people and there's robot people

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
What about robotic dinos?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
I think that's more dino than robot, really. The robot people revel in the robotness of the robot, not what shape the robot emulates. Robots are robots, not robot pirates nor robot ninjas.