AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platform Exploring Game  (Read 16547 times)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platform Exploring Game

Reply #30 on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:16 am
I love the surreal environment.. keep that up. As for the flower being an enemy.. reminds me of Super Mario World 2. Very good mock up =)

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 12:59:50 pm
Those sun flowers turned out to be some killer flowers from hell, since I gave them some homing attack where they fire leaves at the player kinda like the leave shield from Megaman. Here is their current Idle animation.

And here some more NPC's:

Offline candiru

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 10:14:55 pm
I like the sprite very much. I don't see it as a cat though, and I don't like the portraits as much. They're very nice by themselves but I think they're too bright/happy, not creepy enough to fit the mood and style of the settin, which is awesome - the mushrooms, the buildings, the darkness and the stars... If I were you I'd go for creepy and magical all the way, and get rid of the gun.

I liked the sprite so I did my own version in a different color scheme.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:56:15 pm by candiru »

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 10:46:35 pm
I'm not a big fan of that Cat portrait, a little too much going on in it in comparison to the portrait beside it.

On a side note, are you Shoba from bob and george?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:50 am
The flower animation is awesome, but you should rectify the pausing of the stem movement, have it sway back and forth and such, try to keep from having similar frames. the mouth pauses too. It could just be subtly moved in the next frame, and it would look so much more fluid. great job with it.

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 09:09:35 am
@candiru:
Nah, the Cat Pirate and the Wanabe Captain Nemo stay. The Mushroom Hills and the Crystal Cave are only two of (hopefully) more settings I'll create. The Guns will stay as well. This whole Project Started after a way to long session of Cave Story. And since the whole game is a dark Future Setting, Guns are the right thing to use (even though there will be one or two close Combat Weapons within the game).

@Noveroth:
Hmm... maybe I should use the more simple style of the Wanabe Captain Nemo for all Character Portraits.
[Sarcasm]And no, I'm not Shoba from BNG, im his Evil Twin ShinShoba. But, hey, this stays between you... and me ... and this forum.[/Sarcasm]

@Stwelin:
...I'm not a 100% sure if I know what you mean...

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 11:47:10 am
I don't like the cat portrait at all.
It has broken outlines and just looks too... wannabe-anime-ish if you know what I mean.
You should make the eyes smaller.
It's not that I don't like anime but eyes that take up 50% of the head is just. too. much. imo.
And get rid of those dark red pixels on the ears.
Me thinks the dark red vs the brighter red or even the orange is just too much of a contrast, maybe reduce that a bit or add a midtone to soften that.
I'm also not sure if the character portraits should have that background...

Everyhing else looks good and creates a nice gloomy athmosphere.
So this is your new project, eh?
No more eternal night then? =(
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:50:13 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 08:43:53 am
Nah, Eternal Night is still out there, but the project is way to big to finish it all alone. I'll have to wait till I manage to create something like a team. This yet unnamed Cave exploring game is much shorter and simpler compared to EN:Dee, since I finally want to finish at least one game.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:53 pm
The portraits seem really grainy if you know what I mean, and are sort of hard to read...
Your implied anti-aliasing (just erasing the stair parts and keeping dark and hard pixels) and pallete make them harsh to look at....
The cat portrait is kind scary, as I made a portrait of a rabbit semi-like it, and can post it if you want to see what I mean about keeping everything looking 'clean'...

Everything else is cool though. :y:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:42:47 pm by Draco9898 »