AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platform Exploring Game  (Read 16544 times)

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

[WIP] Platform Exploring Game

on: February 19, 2007, 05:31:39 pm
Hmm... I had this Idea for a game character while playing Cave Story Lately.

So, hiding the fact this whole thing was inspired by Cave Story would be pointless :3.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 12:19:32 am by Shoba »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: [WIP] Game Character

Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:47:21 pm
It's nice to know that someone else capitalizes Idea.

Nice. I think the antennae are too thick.
It's weird how the eyes are different heights. I mean, I understand that one's covered by the hat, but it still looks strange to me.
The antenna in the bg...I think the two topmost pixels should be moved left once.
That's all I got.

Your avatar is extremely frightening.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:28:00 am

Your avatar is extremely frightening.

I must be inclined to agree.....frightening indeed. Sadly, I fail to see these antennae....anyways, I like the sprite, and never have played the game myself, I don't really know the extent of the ..based on-ness. BUT I like it. Nice job ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:57:20 am
pretty cute - i agree with xion's comments, I'd also like to add that the front antenna is bugging me a bit - it appears to curve slightly, which looks odd to me.  His hanky or scarf or whatever is pretty huge - the more I look at it the more it confuses/bothers me, I am not really sure where to start on that one.  nice start, just needs a little love to get the rest of the way there!

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:34:02 am
Thanks for the Feedback. Okay, here is my next version:

By the way, its not a scarf, its supposed to be a Poncho, like the one Clint Eastwood was wearing in "A Fistful of Dollars". I made the Poncho bigger and darker to make it easier to figure out, what exactly it is. For the Antennae ... I wanted them to look kinda 80 Anime Style. I slightly changed them, I think they look better now.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:27:05 pm
much improved - the poncho is easily readable now.

i think the hat still needs a little work - i keep flipping between seeing it as a trucker cap and a western cowboy hat (i take it should be the latter?).  i think the antennae have something slightly wrong about them - either they don't seem to be at the right angle to his stance or it might be that the front one is not effecting the hat enough or rather the effect is not clear enough.

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:48:29 pm
Hmm... actually its supposed to be a trucker hat. this one to be exact. I even wanted to put SNK on the metal plate, but the sprite was simply to small for this detail. I understand that the antennae would not work that way with a cowboy hat.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 09:16:04 pm
I was thinking the shading on the plate on his cap and the antenna doesn't fit with the light source the other parts are shaded with.

Just figured out thats a cat on your avatar.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Shoba

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 12:30:45 pm
Its just not any cat, its the one cat to rule them all. The Alpha and Omega of the Universe Cat :3.

Anyway, I changed the shading of the plate and the shading of the antennae (just slightly)

and here is my first attempt at a walk (more run) cycle

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:05 pm
I like the new lighting on the cap.

With the run anim, even though its just rough i thought some crits might help. Firstly, are his legs supposed to be so long and his waist so high up? From the idle picture he looks very human but the anim suggests an alien type creature.

Atm there is no vertical movement of the body and there seems to be some frames where the legs switch. Maybe its because the legs are the same except one is shifted over. Perhaps making
them different would help. edit: if when the left foot just hit the ground if it was angled up:  \            not \             it might not get confused with right foot slidng back.
                                                                                                                                      \/                \_       
The view is on an angle but the legs look completely side on. That makes it look a bit strange in my opinion. Fix that with shading at least. I also think that the body should rotate a bit as
his arms swing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:46:54 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi