AuthorTopic: Assorted weapons, tiles, and a mail box! [WIP]  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Assorted weapons, tiles, and a mail box! [WIP]

on: February 19, 2007, 03:45:43 pm
Recently I have started up a little online project using a ripped GFX from The Minish Cap on the GBA

I have been trying to slowly customize the GFX and hope that as some point it will be all custom made by me

Those are an assortion of weapons along with some grass, grass with flowers, tile, and a mail box

I'm aiming for a simplistic style that is easy to get into but does not feel rushed

I also want to know what would be the best way to shade in those weapons so if you could take a few and do them to give me an idea I would highly appreciate it

C&C are welcomed as always

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Re: Assorted weapons, tiles, and a mail box! [WIP]

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 02:06:06 am
Bump  ;D

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:09:00 am
tsk tsk. don't bump unless you have at least an update.

Anyway, there's nothing to critique, really. I'd say colour them and then show us! what're you waiting for, huh? :)

Offline Alucard

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:30:40 am
Whoops quite sorry I thought I did add it but here are four randomly chosen weapons with just random colors and attempts to shade

Now critique away

OFF TOPIC
Whats with the odd man that occasionally pops up in the banner and winks?

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:33:27 am
The black outlines feel off when you have nice, far more subtle, coloured outlines on the other two pieces.  Those blue spike things on the first sword... what are they?  Ice?  The outline is too intense.

Most importantly, none of these look sharp.  Well, maybe that two-pronged one.  The others look like they're made of rubber.  If you want a more sharp and intense look, colour them more intensely.  Except those ice things, they need to be calmed down.

I'll try an edit in a moment to further explain myself.

[edit]

Alright so there's yours, mine, and mine without the ice spikes or whatever they are.

While colouring, I didn't even look at yours except for a brief glance for the light source, which may have been a mistake as far as the ice spikes, if only because I could just barely even grasp the shape they were supposed to be.  On the middle ones, I actually matched the shading you did, so you had something going right there.  The others I guess I kind of just shaded as blobs.  So, ignore the shape the colours create.  The way I coloured it is the important part.  I guess sel-out is what I'm trying to sell you here.  There's also the range of levels in the colours, and the colour choices themselves.  Metal grey is not always grey, especially when surrounded by blues.  My colouring is even rather tame and withheld considering the possibilities.

Hope this helps.

[/edit]

---

He's the man who invented pixels.  His name's Ivan Pixelle.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:24:47 am by philjones »