AuthorTopic: I heart Virginia  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: I heart Virginia

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:08:48 pm

I think the front of the head needs to be a little bit higher.  Also, the curve of the neck in the back of the head should definitely be moved farther down and to the right.  Look at that line of the back of the neck objectively.  It's all over the place.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 03:16:47 pm
The forehead should be higher, yes. But the neck is pretty much ok, that dark stuff overlapping it is her hair. I don't see a problem with that.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 11:54:37 pm
agree with ptoing; I 'heart' your Virginia!

I'm sticking to my 'high-intensity CGA#2' line for the palette: that just looks perfect! Those bluish patterns taste a little too much melancholic, dull, or maybe even sombre as for my taste buds. But again, you should know better as I haven't ever read her.

Consider the fact you can always customize the palette a little, just like ie. Helm did on his lastest avathing. Read the IBM PC/CGA section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_palettes for some details.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:35:13 am
The chin still needs shrinking, I think.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 04:19:24 am
But the neck is pretty much ok, that dark stuff overlapping it is her hair.
Oh, I see.  My eyes misread that.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 09:06:31 am

Everyone seems to prefer this set of colours, so I think I'll stick with them from now on.

Ptoing and Faktablad: I hope that forehead thing (that everybody's been mentioning for so long and I seem to have ignored :-[) is now fixed. Let me know if it is not...

Skurwy: Thanks! Looks like you've convinced me on the palette issue ;)
About customizing the palette...it seems I'd have to give up the dark grey if I wanted another colour...or did I misread it?

mccow: Really? I was this was already good enough :(

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 12:45:15 pm

Everyone seems to prefer this set of colours, so I think I'll stick with them from now on.

Ptoing and Faktablad: I hope that forehead thing (that everybody's been mentioning for so long and I seem to have ignored :-[) is now fixed. Let me know if it is not...

Skurwy: Thanks! Looks like you've convinced me on the palette issue ;)
About customizing the palette...it seems I'd have to give up the dark grey if I wanted another colour...or did I misread it?

mccow: Really? I was this was already good enough :(
Heighten the forhead please

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 01:45:16 pm

I don't know about likeness, as I don't know what Virginia Wolf looked like, but what you have going though it looks good, seems to suffer from the facial characteristics being disproportionate and placed strangely. The thing about the forehead, you didn't really adress it as much as you could have from your first post to your last, dunno if the edit is useful for that, as I said, it comes down to likeness and boy, are real human faces sometimes very 'unrealistic', but from a point of view of good facial construction, I tweaked stuff.

Also, the way the nose and eyes are placed seems to suggest an angle that the mouth and chin do not follow, if you can see what I mean. I tried to adress this in my edit but I didn't do it well enough.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 08:58:32 pm

Ok, I just took the easy way out of this trouble. The hair could probably use some more size adjustments, but I'll leave it as it is. I'm having headaches for working too much on this :-X

Helm: Actually, even though it reminded me of an alien-like creature at first, your edit was quite helpful in the sense that it made me see how bad mine was. Hopefully, it should all be better now...Thanks!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 12:34:11 am
Much better. Also keep in mind that you can replace colour 0 (what you have grey) which normally is b lack by default to any of the 16 cga colours.

The middle row obviously.

Made some viable colourcombos (the rightmost column is a hack palette which was not official but still perfectly fine to use)
I personally like the very last one best.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:49:06 am by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.