AuthorTopic: Meredy & Quickie! Giant sprite and old ones  (Read 5525 times)

Offline happip

• 0 30
    • View Profile
    • Pixélame!

Meredy & Quickie! Giant sprite and old ones

on: October 07, 2005, 08:47:37 pm
:D yahoo I know the pose is odd, she's like flying lol, Im not used to make huge sprites

old works for those who never saw my sprites

:D hope you like it!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Meredy & Quickie! Giant sprite and old ones

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:13:07 pm
will only deal with the big sprite:

mouth is curved badly

no folding of the clothing, very sparse shaping of the clothes with simple selout, not good. The fluffy thing under the dress notwithstanding.

good colours, mostly.

bad selout, almost everywhere you used it. (helm opinion. Tsu might dissagree.)

shoulder area is very very wrong. what's with the semi-wrinkles and destruction of the underlying anatomy.

foreshortening of same arm broken.

back arm probably at an impossible angle.

right leg (ours) broken. badly.

the thing on her forehead looks tacked on, not on the same plane. Like a strange mouse pointer.

smaller sign-age, please :P

Ok how to tie all this together. Start with better line-art. I get the impression that you started with the face or something and then kept adding. The pose is very undeserving of so much work. Start with clean anatomical linework, refine up to this. It's a shame as it is that so much effort goes into something that is broken in so many places. However I guess you could fix it up a bit, but it'll never be as good as it would be with good lineart. Now I have no idea what your actual anatomical skills are so maybe you did use lineart and all that, but then I guess my crit would be the same old 'practise anatomy a lot' one.

There's some things that are good about this. Colour usage is ok, nice coplementary colours, the hair. But the errors really hurt it.

Offline FatalFetus

• Free thinkers are dangerous..
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 03:03:26 pm
I like your bottom sprites. Nice colors and shading :p
Nice job on the larger sprite in various places but as the previous post it could use some attention. He covered two things I was going to comment on, so I'll just say I hope you post an updated one. Would be a shame to let that go unfinished ;p

Fetus

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 03:50:48 pm
haaay...no me joda, Hapip es hombre?.....yo juraba que era mujer, creo que hasta te coquetie en Pxtion XD.....ya entiendo porque no me respondiste xp

Ok, now that the embarassing remark that I hope you guys dont babelfish is out of the way, glad to see u back happip, I always did like that blonde fairy thing you made, and the other screenshots back at pxtion.

Anyways, I thought you had been given enough of a lengthy and well done crit by my Helmetudo over there, I'm gonna try to keep mine short (compared to my usual fare that is  ::) ) um, to tie things better, do not focus so much on the details when you start the portrait try to think only of the way everything lines up and the picture's axis, etc, and do NOT use those lengthy robe-like clothes to avoid thinking of how all of her actual limbs go, cause it WILL show (broken waist, broken left leg).

Originally I just wanted to make a remark on how good the feet on the new pic are (I didnt even mean to make a crit, it's against my nature tho :P ) , I literally wouldnt change anything about them feet, I love the way the little feathers on the slippers continue the line the toes create. The collar, the clumps of hair on the sides of her head, the pose of the little pet guy, and the tip of his tail.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 03:52:50 pm by Camus »

Offline happip

• 0 30
    • View Profile
    • Pixélame!

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 04:22:19 pm
jajaj sera porke mi hermana me propone muchos temas para sprites, y porke la mayoria son chicas, pero trankilo, te aseguro ke soy un chico XDDD

thanks for the crits, although i don't understand this one

bad selout, almost everywhere you used it. (helm opinion. Tsu might dissagree.)

Ill try to redo some parts of it...

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 07:21:45 pm
"Helm style" is coloring the basic liens of definition according to the light-source
Tsu would tell you (if it were a game sprite for a project) to add pixels to define the edges and make it stick out.
Nothing wrong with either... though helm's ideal looks betetr to me on pixel art

please zoom in to see, since my examples are abysmal.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 07:23:24 pm by Zolthorg »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 09:31:39 pm
Zolthorg :) Should get some actual samples of their work. That may help...

Hi happip. Ok, your large work... as I understand it, you're using more of a flat shaded animation style, so I'll critique within that. There is quite a bit of selout going on. Some of it appears to be unecessary, or as simply as I can put this, too sharp looking. Anywhere that it appears too sharp, it should be reconsidered. There's some dark purple bits against the face which are a good example of the problem. For a pixel work, I kind of wished you had smoother curves. The two large pink/purple shade areas on the dress are not as smooth/curvy as I think they could have been. The color of the face itself seems to require some contrast? I'm unsure here.. maybe a few bits of darker color in the eyes?? Selout-ish specks on the green triangles against the white look sharp too, btw. I think your color choices are good. The white to purple area of the legs and dress look good. I think using the same colors in the hair, you should have changed the volumes in order to make the hair not look like the same material as the dress. In general, you seemed to use a consistent style and color population that makes the hair very marshmallowy when it could stand to be darker in general, and possibly use some fine pixel-strand details to bring out some texture. You have great detail on the eyes and the beads of the shoes, though everything else seems simple in comparison. The problem Helm has with the arm can be overlooked, in my opinion, as it's a bit common and stylized, though the character does appear rather flat chested for it. If this was meant to be a younger girl, then the biggest problem, proportionally speaking, is the smallness of the characters head. I'm happy to see such a large work put together, though with the roughness of the lines in places, and the sharpness and questionable use of selout, I think this could use more work. Great job, though. :)

Very good design with the red haired blue-gray colored sprite!

The best use of selout, if at all, is in a subtle manner. Your last pixel work is excellent in this regard. Nice touch with the wave lighting too! I would like to see more!

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:16:23 pm
I like all of them :) Good job. Tales of destiny is awesome :D
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.