AuthorTopic: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY  (Read 33537 times)

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Re: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY

Reply #70 on: February 28, 2007, 07:27:45 pm
What would you say if a guy who moderates a writing forum wrote books and sold them for money?

Whoops, when I posted that I didn't realize that most of the things being sold were video tutorials. That will teach me to read things more carefully.

NEW RESPONSE:

Enough about whether Kon has "the right" to sell the videos. ;) Not because it is a trivial or uninteresting discussion (I think it's an interesting discussion) but because it's off topic and irrelevant here.

What Helm wants to hear from us is "Do you care if a leader of this community-based free learning site is also the owner of a paid learning site?" It is somewhat akin to asking "Do we care if a volunteer in our free soup kitchen runs a paid soup kitchen on the side?"

Maybe you do care. Maybe you don't. You probably have reasons either way.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:06:58 pm by Checkworth »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #71 on: February 28, 2007, 07:45:30 pm
I'd say congrats and best of luck.

What would I say if a guy that is a moderator in a creative writing forum which has free tutorials (by other members and moderators) on the subject but asks for money for his own tutorials on much the same subject on his personal site? Well, you know what I'd say....

Offline Checkworth

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: February 28, 2007, 11:22:58 pm
whoops, previous statement retracted, see edit  :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #73 on: March 01, 2007, 07:59:10 am
Yes, you got it right.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: March 01, 2007, 10:33:08 am
On one hand, as part of the mod squad, I would like the best for pixelation. So having the awareness of the existance of a video tutorial thread, if I were recording my process, I would post it there in hopes it would serve someone, rather than sell it.
But on the other hand, Pixelation doesn't own Alex nor his art, so we can't say what he can or can't do. (Then again, that doesn't mean I agree with his choice, but ah well)

At the end is all up to your mindset, I guess.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:57 am
I guess it depends on the purpose of the video tutorials Alex has made. If they have the same purpose as the other video tutorials on pixelation
then it would seem unfair that he charges for them. However, aren't his video tutorials rewards for his loyal fans rather than instructional videos?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #76 on: March 04, 2007, 10:18:20 pm
I don't see any immorality with being a Pixelation moderator and at the same time an artist who has his own business plan.
Alex is not ABUSING his moderator status for personal benefits.
As for what's going on at his website, please do take that personal. It's no use and not civilized to publicly criticize his business path while he himself did not ask for it in the first place.

I find it pretty child-like to start such a personal attacking, if not, status damaging topic. I don't understand why this discussion wasn't kept internal, it should have, at least until Alex was notified and had replied.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:26:31 pm by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #77 on: March 05, 2007, 04:12:41 am
heh.  I checked out Kons site cause his link thingy in his sig was new and I was like "cool new Kon art".  I visit and see that there was a registration requirement and promptly left.  I had no idea there was a fee too.  Registration was perplexing enough.  I wouldn't pay for Craig Mullins content.  Unless it was full length DVD with voice over explanations and all that.  Then I might.  But thats Craig Mullins.  I'd like a Barron Storey DVD as well.

His decision doesn't jive well with Pixelation, or with reality in general, but calling him out in public is kinda... eh.  I can't imagine anyone actually subscribing anyway.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #78 on: March 05, 2007, 05:23:36 am
My site is creative, and I didn't make it to be normal.
The system I created motivates me, because it is different and shows me members who want to see new work of mine. My site is for people who are interested in my work, like any personal site which displays work to its visitors, they are there because they want to see the work which the site wants to provide them with, and every artist is selective in what they will show to them. I have the right to be selective with my personal property as all of you do with yours.
Having what I do on my personal site become transparent/bound with pixelation due to me being a mod here would get rid of any reason for having my own site at all, wouldn't it?

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #79 on: March 05, 2007, 06:54:45 am
I don't think your moderatorship and your site are as linked as Helm views it, no.  Forgot to address that.  I see the job of the moderators here as keeping the boards clean and in order, putting out flames, etc.  Putting in the work towards maintenance that the average member doesn't want to deal with.  Posting free vids and teaching what you can, writing good crits, etc, is more just being a valuable and productive member of the community.  Anyone can do these things, without being a moderator.  But not anyone can do the job of a moderator, keeping order and trying to be unbiased when arguments happen or whatever.  I guess thats why I don't see as much of a problem with this whole thing, as it relates to Pixelation.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:03:37 am by Locrian »