AuthorTopic: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY  (Read 33533 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 10:49:55 pm
I sometimes post topic names in caps, as one can see in my post history. It's not an attempt at sensationalism but rather an internet habit from when I first started posting in (other) websites where it was norm when something of importance was posted. I just don't post a lot of topics is why it might seem odd to some people.

Also, personally, I feel like moderators' questions and opinions carry more weight, so it's worth being careful about making that distinction in posts like this.

Seeing how many people have so far disagreed with my opinion on the matter openly in this thread, I don't really think this fear is a justified one. Don't worry, Akzidenz, nobody is trying to tell people what to think here. I understand where you're concern is founded on, but I think open-mindedness and critical thinking has always been supported in Pixelation. I am well-known for speaking my mind, true, but never to shut somebody else up (unless breaking of the rules occurs). I take pride in knowing Pixelation is a fair community.

On the matter at hand, I see both viewpoints though I personally side with what was previously expressed in my posts. I don't really desire to see Kon hand in his moderator badge as he puts it. I wanted to see if he sees any sort of conflict in what's going on foremost. Why did I want that? Because I am really interested in the (extremely non-profit-based) communal dynamics of Pixelation and how they could be affected by such a thing. Personally, I think a future where long-standing members of this community do 'free' critique here and such but keep the 'real hardcore critique and tutorial videos' for their own pay-sites is a horrible one, and I'd like to gauge reactions to first signs of this so we may feel out options in the present.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 11:27:42 pm
I was actually very surprised to see this too, and i was looking forward to seeing the finished "Sandman" piece. I think it's sort of unfair, or at least a little awkward, that there was a thread about it, to which many members contributed, and now the final piece is only viewable with a subscription to the site.

I see now that this has been changed.

It isn't wrong for an artist to sell their work, however, when the piece is shown online, and the viewer gains to rights to use, sell, or do anything with the art they are viewing in the portfolio, it is no different from viewing it in an exhibition. When artists sell their work, they give all the rights to the buyer (for example, selling artwork to a game developer.)

It's obvious that everything cost money, but i think that with Kon's skill, commissions would cover costs for a domain (and server-space) completely. I run my own server out of an old machine that my family had lying around, and my domain name is one registered at a free domain site. I am really curious as to why the site went subscription based. A professional artist should be able to cover those petty cost with work done for commercial groups.

EDIT: also, for those of us without money (or a paypal account/credit card, for that matter) it is significantly harder to actually get a subscription. If i knew you and could hand you the money it would be no problem, but the hassle really isn't worth it, especially when the subscription is only to one artist's site.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:36:04 pm by Stwelin »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 11:42:12 pm
I don't really...get it.
Sure, Kon's got every right to make money off his art, and he deserves to profit from his knowledge, I think. But even artists with outstandingly huge and high-quality archives of art only ask for money when someone actually buys something (a print or painting). What are people buying here? Your art? Not quite.
As has been said, It's Kon's site and he can do as he pleases for all I care. It just seems like a really wierd decision to make.
I mean, seems like you'd benefit more from showing your work for free and getting all kinds of high-paying offers than hiding your art from potential employers.

Ok, gtg, I might say more later.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 12:24:33 am
actually, most of the art can be viewed with simply a free membership. There are only a couple images available only in premium memberships because those I specifically didnt want to display because I had other intentions with them but decided to throw them in anyway.
The idea with the subscriptions, is that you gain more content which goes kinda behind the scenes showing how things were made and gives information which has value.
This is not the only project which I am working on, and so it is not the only thing which I have to pay for, and so having such a system helps me and the projects which I am working on.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 02:50:28 am
But what's the point in subscribing for free anyway? It just consumes precious viewers' time that could be being spent actually...viewing your art. I can understand signing up for the articles or whatever it was you said you'd make weekly, and even signing up to make comments. But, even if free, membership should, IMHO, only be required for either or both of those 2 things. Not just browsing through.

But I guess I understand where you're coming from, and like I said, do what you want. It's no business of mine.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 04:01:00 am
Just to throw my opinion in, I don't think it will conflict with his moderation of pixelation. And this may be counter-intuitive, but I don't think this will require any action to counter Pixelation going this route until there are further signs of it doing so.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 05:47:20 am
I think what Alex is doing is fine. He's creating content, and charging for it. Just because it's like free content here doesn't mean it has to be free elsewhere. So long as he's not reserving content created by people other than himself in these sections, I don't see what's to argue about. I'm frankly kind of surprised you made such a spectacle about it, Helm. This really could have been handled via PMs if you're really concerned about it.

- Adam

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 05:56:35 am
I enjoy your art, and it is all very very bold and interesting, but I'm just not a fan of the idea, or site design
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 05:57:34 am
well, I was disappointed.
Im a fan of your work alex and I was looking forward to browsing your site..
But to be perfectly honest, I hate having to sign up at websites to browse their content, especially if its free anyway
I think the most important part of any website is how easy it is to browse and use

But still, its your site and your content.. I just find it a bit impersonal that you'd want people to sign up to view your art
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 06:56:02 am
I enjoy your art, and it is all very very bold and interesting, but I'm just not a fan of the idea, or site design
Yeah, that's another thing. I don't like the site design. It's the scrolling. What with the scrolling? The purpose of thumbnails is to provide small samples of larger works in a limited area with the most efficiency. So what with the scrolling? I think all thumbnails on a page should be visible from the get-go.