AuthorTopic: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY  (Read 33530 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
I was recently linked to this http://www.finalredemption.com/beta# which as I understand is Kon's new site. Congrats, Kon. However, I saw that this requires registration to see some of the art. Though it striked me as an odd thing to do, I guess a few webmasters want to follow their target groups statistics and so on. Then I saw that certain assets in the site, like Video Tutorials not unlike the ones we have in this forum free for use, require paying money to see.

I want to discuss and gauge reaction to this attempt from the userbase, and hopefully get Kon to explain the rationale behind this.

Obviously, running a website takes money, and a webmaster is free to ask for compensation on any thing for his site, and whomever is willing to pay for it, that's their choice. Nobody should be able to make them stop. In the end, if there's a demand, people will pay, if there's no demand, Kon will likely remove the service.

However, there is an issue in my mind. Many people in this forum have posted video tutorials for free to promote learning and helping each other, as this board is made to do. I've put hours of my life in promoting this and trying to get other people to contribute, and a lot have. It's a well of knowledge that I think anyone can benefit from and can only hope will grow. However, Kon decided to share his wisdom for money. Now, Kon is a moderator on this board. If it was a matter of paying for webspace, we have a part of Pixelation on which to upload videos so nobody's personal server is swamped by requests and bandwith sleeching.

Am I the only one who sees the conflict of interest here? Are we or are we not supposed to promote free learning? Would you pay for tutorial videos? If not, why? If yes, why? Finally, where is the line drawn when free enterprize on the 'net and the supposed attitude of a non-profit institution like Pixelation collide?

Please discuss.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Re: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:42:01 pm
I guess Alex did it with the purpose of covering some costs (not only with the webserver), because it's only 5 dollars. And even though I think a open donation would be better, he may have his motivations.

He has always been helpful around here, and I guess this won't change, and if his interests are indeed in conflict with pixelation's purpose he's grown up enough to measure if it could affect his stay here.     

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:49:14 pm
My new website will be displaying my works I have created, and there is a lot which you can see without registering for anything.
There is also a regular membership which allows you to join my mailinglist to recieve updates whenever there is news about the site. As a member, you also can post comments and rate the work on it. This is so people who are truelly interested enough to get a free account can rate and give feedback in a spam-bot free environment.
There are alot of art websites which offer videos and content which you must buy, and I am merely doing the same with what I think is good enough to show to those whom get subscriptions to the site and it also helps support the site as well as help me continue to produce good content for it. Nobody has to get a free membership or buy a subscription, but it is there for those whom wish to see more of my work. A lot of the content is free, but some have special quirks such as progress animations for those with free memberships and such.

I will also be offering pixel articles every week or two which will go through the entire process from beginner to advanced in all aspects of pixel art. I already have the first book aimed at beginners almost complete, and each chapter in that will be released every week or two to those whom have a free membership.

I'm surprised this is an issue, as it is my personal work and website which I choose to handle in my own way, but I am thankful for the mention of the new website, and will find any feedback appreciated.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:59:20 pm
As I said, congrats on your new site and I'm sure a lot of people will be interested in following your pixel art lessons, because as you say, a small registration that is free is really no hassle and expected all over the internet now.

But wouldn't you say posting pay-to-view videos of your processes/video tutorials when a website you're a moderator on does the same without asking for money is a bit cheeky and disrespecting the hard work of others that don't ask for compensation?

Or is it that you think people doing it for free are what they are, and you are a better artist or teacher so your services are to be sold?

Whatever your conception in this case is, reality will validate or invalidate it anyway, in the future you'll see how many people will pay for video tutorials. But I'd like an answer because you're currently a moderator in this board and I for one see a conflict here.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:03:28 pm
i was dissapointed when i saw your site, alex. it looks great and everythings awesome, but there are even stationary pieces that i cannot view, the videos would be awesome to see aswell. well it is YOUR site so theres really nothing we can do about it.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:09:22 pm
Helm, This is something I had been thinking about doing for years, as you can see I had video tutorials from back in 2003, which a couple are available for free on my website. Not every video will require a premium membership to view.
Is it not right for an artist to sell their work? This is the choice I am making for specific content which I feel is worth being subscribed to in order to recieve. Some of it is free, and some of it requires a subscription. It is up to people to decide which option they choose.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:12:12 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:13:16 pm
Kon, let me make it absolutely clear I am not trying to tell you how to run your own personal website, even though I might not agree with its policies. This isn't the purpose of this thread at all.

What I am trying to convey, is that I for one feel a moderator in Pixelation, which is a free site with free services (amongst them video tutorials) shouldn't be selling video tutorials on the side. On moral grounds.

This isn't about changing your website's price policies. This is about your moderating position in Pixelation.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 08:14:53 pm
I signed up a free account because I was curious. The videos do not work here. Also the site displays rather faulty in Firefox.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:15:40 pm
Is it not right for an artist to sell their work?
According to philosophy, it's not.
Art is a combination of genius and knowledge used to reach beauty without any other utility.
If you make money with your art, then it's art for people and not art for beauty. Thus you're being a sophist and Plato would have called you a pseudo-artist.

That's just philosophy tough...

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:21:04 pm
Helm, I don't see what is immoral about it. I think I can choose what I can or can't do with my personal business and I don't think that a seperate entity such as pixelation should have a say on how I should carry out my personal business with it.

as for the firefox issue, I think I have fixed it, but if not I'd appreciate some feedback on the issue so I may work on it.