AuthorTopic: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY  (Read 33560 times)

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Re: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY

Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 07:02:40 am
I have no objection to him doing his thing on the side either, this whole thing is rather a non-issue to me which is why I stayed out of it, but regarding making money from this,
it may be a niche, but what about the demand for such a service? Read up on people making money from google adwords or amazon affiliates and such. Have you ever earned money from advertising on a site before? How many unique hits are you getting to your homepage? 0-300 a day? With this amount of traffic, you would be lucky to be able to afford your girlfriend a nice macdonalds meal at the end of the year with the money earned.

Just a thought.. good luck with the site though.

I personally can't be bothered creating an account.. I'm always switching computers and deleting cookies etc, so logging in can be very annoying for me.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 07:58:45 am
Hmm... It seems to me people are still interpreting this as an issue about whether or not Kon has the right to sell his videos... of course he does.  But it's more about how Pixelation started out as an appendix to Tsu's tutorial, and a resource toward free and community oriented learning and discussion.  I see how his moderatorship comes into play, where as a mod Kon is kind of representative of the free learning ideal Pixelation has going on, but he goes against this free learning ideal in his personal site.  I wonder if people would feel differently if Kon started offering critiques on art at 5 bucks a pop.  That would be in his right, of course, but we as members of Pixelation would have to decide if we wanted to have a moderator who placed his own financial gain above the free learning community ideal that he represents, or possibly whether we actually want to keep the free learning community ideal in Pixelation.

Not saying that Kon's moderatorship should be revoked, but I see where Helm is coming from (though for the record, I also disagreed with Helm's initial presentation).

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:53 pm
The only way I can possibly see this as a conflict of interest is if Alex takes other people's work without permission or if he spams Pixelation with ads for his product. Other than that, I don't see why people are so offended. 

Unless I'm missing something, Alex is an artist trying to support himself by selling his work on his site. What is wrong with that?

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 10:17:30 pm
Unless I'm missing something, Alex is an artist trying to support himself by selling his work on his site. What is wrong with that?

nothing at all.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: February 24, 2007, 08:35:04 am
I think most everyone here is misunderstanding Helm's argument.  It is not about whether or not Kon has the right to sell his videos.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: February 24, 2007, 01:15:33 pm
Wasn't the argument about alex selling his videos while they were here for free ???

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: February 25, 2007, 03:56:30 am
No. It's not about the videos at all. It's about the conflict of interest between his site, selling information for money, and Pixelation, teaching and learning and sharing what we know with each other at no cost.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: February 26, 2007, 02:17:21 pm
There have been times of my life spent penniless begging for food, so when a person asks that people who clearly have an excess of leisure time and money pay for something that belongs to the artist, whatever it is, i see no problem.  We all need to make money to get by.  I also have no problem in the concept of paying to see art, galleries and museums charge admissions per visitiation, and anyone who thinks only the best art is sold is decieved, even I can sell paintings for a fair price; not the thousands of dollars that real arists fetch, but certainly more than five.  Five dollars wouldnt cover the amount of paint i need, forget the hours working.

There will be a conflict of interest when a person is elected/appointed to a post, the requirements being that he use and share his knowledge to the best of his ability, as is the responsibility of mods beyond simple moderation, and the person refuses.  Has this happened?  If so, the position is thrown into question.  If not, then outside matters are not a concern of mine.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 07:47:25 am
I am almost positive that there's gotta be at least ONE person here who is professional enough to have taught a course in Photoshop or art in general and has gotten paid for it. Or perhaps someone's written a book on getting into the game industry or creating art for it? If there's a market out there for it, then why not? What right does anyone here have to say someone can't sell their skills? The fact that Alex is a mod here should have no bearing whatsoever... as long as he's here to help others with the art they're currently developing. Showing people how to make the art in the style and way that he does it shouldn't cause conflict and I think that if the video tutorial thread was never posted here, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Lastly, I think if anyone does have a problem with Alex, they should be discussing this with him personally through email or PM and not in an open thread to cause a furor and retaliation amongst the rest of the community. This is not politics... this is pixel art. Namaste!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #69 on: February 27, 2007, 09:16:20 am
I don't see any furor or retaliation, pixelblink. If anything more people were upset with my handling of it than hardly anyone upset with what Kon is doing.