AuthorTopic: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY  (Read 33531 times)

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Re: KON'S FINAL REDEMPTION SITE GOES ACCOUNT-BASED, ASKS FOR MONEY

Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:45 pm
I don't quite get the conflict of interest. It's his personal site and should be able to do as he wants. This forum has a completely different approach and culture that it shouldn't and doesn't have anything to do with Alex's site. Personally, I don't give a shit if he wants to try and make money from his site (though I think he's going about it the wrong way).

All that aside, I'd like to say that if I was just surfing along and came across his site, I wouldn't be too impressed. It does nothing to make me want to browse through it all. It doesn't pop like the old one. The layout screams of too much open space and knowing his skills, he could do much better with utilizing it. If I were a potential employer looking at his site for the first time and being forced to pay to see the details of his process, etc. I'd be yawning and moving on to another client. Personally, if he wants to make some cash from visitors, I'd suggest selling marketable items like t-shirts, books, and online games.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:43 pm
I don't quite get the conflict of interest. It's his personal site and should be able to do as he wants. This forum has a completely different approach and culture that it shouldn't and doesn't have anything to do with Alex's site. Personally, I don't give a shit if he wants to try and make money from his site (though I think he's going about it the wrong way).

All that aside, I'd like to say that if I was just surfing along and came across his site, I wouldn't be too impressed. It does nothing to make me want to browse through it all. It doesn't pop like the old one. The layout screams of too much open space and knowing his skills, he could do much better with utilizing it. If I were a potential employer looking at his site for the first time and being forced to pay to see the details of his process, etc. I'd be yawning and moving on to another client. Personally, if he wants to make some cash from visitors, I'd suggest selling marketable items like t-shirts, books, and online games.
100% agree, I would love to have a pixel t-shirt :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 09:27:55 pm
It is clear most people see no problem in what Kon is doing - what Pixelation isn't doing. As such, I should rest easy knowing we don't appear as a bunch of hypocrites for the users of Pixelation, right? That's good, then.

Offline Soup

• Monkey lovvvvvvve
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 01:26:47 am
We all gotta eat.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 02:54:26 pm
I wouldn't go as far as to say that helm is attacking alex, however it's morally unjust of helm to post something like this publicly without even pming alex beforehand. It was kind of cheap to post this regarding alx's personal website and to have alex blindsided by the fact that this is supposed to be an issue. As a matter of fact, it makes you look bad, helm to do something like this out of the blue with no true basis for doing so.

This matter could have been handled much more appropriately, and it makes pixealtion look hyppocritical when it strikes out against people trying to make some kind of profit from their own hard work. The only people who can decide whether or not alex's work is worth paying for are the people who decide to pay for it. Point blank.

Now, I do understand that it may be offputting to see a member of our community trying to make gains off of art that he supports as free or worthy of being free on another site; however its none of our business what alex does on his own time.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 11:57:21 pm
I also don't like the idea of having to register just to view some images or vids... even worse pay for it. But it's his choice. Nothing we can do about it.

I just hope that this won't make the other pixel artist get the idea of asking money with a similar concept in the future.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #46 on: February 21, 2007, 12:42:59 am
Quote from: ptoing
Also do you think your stuff is really that great to warrant someone paying money to see it? Just a thought..

To exemplify my quote a bit better.

http://www.bkstudio.com/home_movie.htm#
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 21, 2007, 03:07:49 am
As was said before, the choice to determine whether it is "good enough" to be sold is really up to Kon whoever is paying for it. To emphasize what Helm was saying, the issue is not about the quality of the work, but that fact that Kon is a moderator at this forum (which offers free tutorials, help, etc) and he is attempting to make a profit on the side via the same type of service/material. Whether or not that crosses any moral boundary is up to whoever. To each his own.

Personally, I don't think it's a very big deal. If he wants to sell his videos, let him sell. It shouldn't have any influence on his position here.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 10:28:13 am
Stwelin, correct. However Ptoing's link is a good point of view to consider, when people who are professionals and offering free knowledge via tutorials. It is a good example for people to follow.

It had suprised me how misunderstood my original point was, but I guess it's to be expected since -apparently- the moral issue is a very thin one for most that commented. I guess 'making a profit' is sacred ground for the vocal part of our userbase.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 01:38:24 pm
Stwelin, correct. However Ptoing's link is a good point of view to consider, when people who are professionals and offering free knowledge via tutorials. It is a good example for people to follow.

It had suprised me how misunderstood my original point was, but I guess it's to be expected since -apparently- the moral issue is a very thin one for most that commented. I guess 'making a profit' is sacred ground for the vocal part of our userbase.

hmm,  I don't really think that your post was incorrect in content, i just think you should have done this more tastefully- the current rendition seems to be almost like you're trying to discredit alex for trying to get ahead with his talents. At least in my opinion, this isn't a battle against your opinion, per se, but more against what you're saying alex seems to have no right to do. (hopefully that came out right).

Also in regards to examples to follow, I concur, however that is not how ptoing's post sounded. I'm almost one hundred percent sure that a lot of people will see it as a remark that was more of a, "you're not as good as you think you are" post and not a, " Try following the example of professionals" type of post- if you catch my drift.