AuthorTopic: Underwurlde...  (Read 4341 times)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Underwurlde...

on: February 16, 2007, 01:26:30 pm
Hello, just thought I'd post the first of the bits of art I've made for Underwurlde with the intention of updating this post every so often as I gradually crap out more and more graphics for the project. I should point out that at first I'm going for quantity rather than quality to an extent (thus the horrific mirroring in this image) so that I can get stuff done and to a reasonable state and then worry about revisiting it later. This is because if I do things real slowly I'll end up changing my style over the course of the project and it won't gel. It happened with Head Over Heels and I want to avoid the problem this time.

If you're unfamiliar with Underwurlde it's basically and horribly evil platformer which was designed by satan and which is less fun to play with than a relative's genitals but which some people inexplicably enjoy. I stupidly opened my yap and volunteered to draw all the background and tile art for it (but not the sprites) and the rest, as they say, is history. Or at least I wish it was. ;)

And so, I present the "Skull Sideboard Altar thing". Man I wish I could think up original designs...

I'm gonna' post the original graphics here in a short while and so if anyone has interesting suggestions of how to goth-'em-'up (there's a game genre I'd like to play) then please do weigh in. And remember, there's no such thing as "too clichéd". :)

PS. And yes, I know I'm up to my old bad habits with regards to colour. So sue me. ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 01:31:25 pm by DrDerekDoctors »
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Re: Underwurlde...

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:38 pm
Awesome. Haven't seen any art from you in a while, man.
I really like the palette you used for this.
Though, I would add lighter highlights toward the middle of the column to give it a better sense of depth.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:11 pm
Great stuff digi derek.  :D
I don't think I've ever seen anything from you before now.

And I'm pretty happy that it has skulls.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:14:19 pm
Thanks. Yuss, I could probably go lighter at the center. I just really didn't want to go darker at the edges so that I left myself somewhere to go with the background tiles.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 03:02:51 am
the top tayer of orange skulls has its own lightsource.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 10:35:45 am
Yeah, that was always the plan although it needs to be made more obvious what that source is and it needs to be more consistent in the rest of the top of the altar.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 04:19:57 am
woooooow! nice!...(yeah I still havent left...I leave tomorrow)....I like the eerie purplish misty touch to it...I wonder where you're gonna fit this in, the best luck with the project man!