AuthorTopic: Schoolbag inventory  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Schoolbag inventory

on: June 16, 2019, 09:46:39 am
I made an inventory for my school-themed game, but something seems off and for sure there's room for improvement. Being a background image, it doesn't have to be too much detailed.
I'm also struggling with the outline.

without outline:

there's some trouble with the BBcode, so I had to post the direct links or else the images wouldnt show, do you know why?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:19:54 pm by Afelium »

Offline Afelium

• View Profile

Re: Schoolbag inventory

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:21:29 pm
Solved the problem with the imgur links, I take advantage of this to give this  thread a little bump

Offline tiger_robocop

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:45 am
While you said the image doesn't have to be too much detailed, I think it could use a bit more detail on the upper part.

Maybe add one of those-watsitcalled straps at the top that people use to lift it up, or just make the front straps visible, similar how the pokemon games do.

I apologise for the meme image but I couldn't find just the bag

Alternatively, you could put one extra zipper in there, or a logo. Does your game have a logo? You could put the game's logo in there. Maybe in a faded color so it doesn't get in the way of the foreground.

Offline Kiana

• Artist & Game Dev
    • kianamosser
    • View Profile
    • itch.io page

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 06:55:29 am
I think your outline looks fine. There are no unnecessary jagged areas so it's pleasant to the eye. I think it only seems "off" because there are a few features backpacks typically have that aren't visible.

Maybe add one of those-watsitcalled straps at the top that people use to lift it up, or just make the front straps visible, similar how the pokemon games do.
I'm seconding this suggestion. Although you can't always see the straps or handle because they lay against the bag when not in use, moving them into a position where they can be seen helps the viewer identify the bag as a backpack.

You might also benefit from thinking about how you can visually demonstrate the functionality of the bag beyond the main compartments. Many backpacks have drink-holding pockets or mesh on the sides. I won't suggest you add visible zippers since you have a clasp mechanism and what looks to be a front pocket held in place by velcro or a hidden zipper, but you might want to think about how the bag is constructed and which compartments are intended to hold what. You can normally see the seams along the corners or bottom of the bag that are intended to help the bag hold its shape when there are notebooks and other school supplies inside. You could add minor features like these to make the bag seem more believable to viewers while not detracting from the nice clean simplicity you already have. :)
To achieve mastery is not to be able to work without thinking; rather it is to have total control of one's choices.