AuthorTopic: My first try at animation  (Read 5666 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: My first try at animation

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 07:35:46 pm
I think this is probably the 5th or 6th thread you've started (all with < 10 posts) with practically the same character in it, and you have yet to address the absolute most basic elements of lighting and shading in a remotely serious way.  His hat is lit directly from the top, while his body is lit more or less from the front.  You've also got round lighting/shading contours inside a hard-edged, rectangular shape.  Again.  You just keep making the same thing over and over with no improvement or even any attempts to actually remedy any of the problems on a piece when you do get crits.  You just start a new thread with a "new" character that has all the same problems.

Start smaller, and first and foremost study light and volume and form.  Shade something in a way that makes ANY kind of sense - start simple.  Do a cube, and a sphere - use real life and photos to see how light affects these different forms, and try to replicate it in your artwork.  Shadows exist SOLELY to communicate form and volume to the viewer - they are not there out of obligation, or some weird arbitrary art requirement.  They are INFORMATION, and should be treated as such.

Again, I'm not trying to crap on you here, it just annoys me to no end to see someone "looking for crits" and then not doing a damn thing about them.  I used to think that doing things my way was always better, heck after all I was a better artist than my classmates right?  WWRROONNGG.  The most important lesson you need to learn as an artist is that you suck.  I suck!  It was only when I realized that I was F-ing awful at my favorite hobby that I began to improve.  That is what I mean when I say you should take this seriously.  Until you really understand that you're bad at art (as are most of us), you will continue to ignore all the amazing resources that the internet has put at your disposal.  For example:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Read it and take it to heart - read it every day for a month if you have to.  A plainer and better introduction to shading, form and lighting has never been written (as far as i know anyways).  For the love of art and this forum, please please please do more than like 10 minutes work on any one of your pieces before starting a new thread, and asking for feedback that you are going to ignore, even if you're ignoring it on accident.  And when people do leave you feedback, do not just abandon your art!  FIX IT.  Make it good!!  You can, you just haven't.