AuthorTopic: Goblins Of The Game Industry  (Read 103171 times)

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Re: Goblins Of The Game Industry

Reply #50 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:27 pm
The first little goblin is one I like to call "we don't need a contract." This is the first
and most fatal mistake for most development teams.

I realize I am coming into this 5 years late, but I disagree with this notion that we must turtle ourselves with a wall of legal protection. An example to counter this mentality is a successful music label who does not use contracts for any bands that they work with. I am referring to Dischord Records. As is stated in their About section:

"We work with bands through a rather organic process. We do not work with contracts so our relationship with our bands is based on friendship and trust."

They have been around since the 80's, worked with dozens of bands, run tours all around the world many times over. No contracts.

I am also a fan of small, personal development environments where the person/people you are working with is a relationship, and like a relationship you are constantly working at it and at some unfortunate point it may be time to end that relationship. If that break up is violent and someone wants to maliciously go after myself, or someone else on the team, my reaction would not be to figure out how I can wear a suit of armor for all future endeavors. I would look at why things ended so badly? Was there something I did or did not do that could have prevented it?

Maybe I am just a stinking hippy, though.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:49 pm
Which is why one should just learn to make music,art and program him/herself.

Unfortunately, most people aren't -that- multi-talented and the project would
take even longer to accomplish. Working on a team can be fun but there are some things
you have to look out for or they could destroy the entire project. You can't let a "jerk" ruin the whole thing
even if they are  a talented jerk.

I'm personally a pretty good programmer, I'm learning pixel art and I think I could make some pretty good music and sfx if I tried, so yes, I might be able to make a game all by myself.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 07:38:06 pm
I'm personally a pretty good programmer, I'm learning pixel art and I think I could make some pretty good music and sfx if I tried, so yes, I might be able to make a game all by myself.

Then do it. Not that it hasn't already been done.

Offline malkomk

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 18, 2011, 04:24:03 pm

Then do it. Not that it hasn't already been done.

I'm thinking about it! ;D I had a idea for a Breakout style game but this probably isn't the right place to put it. I'd like some feedback on the idea though, probably will post somewhere else...

Offline PostTransit

• GET BONUS
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 07:36:40 am
I know this is pretty much a necropost, but this is easily one of the most helpful and interesting reads on the subject I've encounted so far. I myself was thinking about getting a couple of my art buddies together to try and make something but didn't really know what to do/where to go with it/how to safeguard it incase something went wrong. At least now it'll be a little 'easier' to start looking into things.

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 06:53:59 am
Nice article.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 02:12:25 pm
Great post, op.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 03:40:26 pm
I'm having a problem with my business partner. We're working on a game and so far we've managed to keep goblins to a minimum. Our game is set in a city, and he wants to purchase cookie cutter city buildings on the unity webstore. I'm the artistic director, I hate them, they look like shit and won't fit with the aesthetic, but he won't let it go. It wouldn't even take him more time to let me do the assets. What do I do???  :mean:

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 04:19:29 pm
do you have a contract with the guy? if its not in writing that someone has final say then i guess youre going to have to just try and win the argument!

but what do you mean when you say it wouldnt take him more time to do the assets your way though? if theyre premade that does save you time. maybe a compromise could be buying them and modifying them to your tastes, but if its a heavy modification that might indeed end up taking more time than making them from scratch

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 04:24:58 pm
It would take us faster, and I would have to leave them alone because unless I have maya, they're going untouched. The reason I am opposed is because the assets he proposes look like something out of counter strike 1.6 or a ps2 skating game, and my concept is of a game with a striking palette and a very brushwork-y style.

edit:
I would also be limited to the 10-odd city buildings the pack has. If I wanted a specific kind or shape of building, I would have to suck it up and choose one from the list. It was also already established that I was in charge of the game's visual direction. He is only the programmer. The idea was that he would make an engine for me and we would work together to make it accomplish able but still fun, and I would fill in the content like items, monsters, game areas, quests, art etc.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:27:27 pm by Fizzick »