AuthorTopic: forest mockup  (Read 15399 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: forest mockup

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 03:48:54 am
blue in itself is far from being cold, it will help to liven it up a lot by tilting it away from the current prussian brights into the ultramarines though.  that way, the warm blues will com forwards, the neutral greens+reds will define the lighted path, and the cool greens+reds will define the shaded areas. The really warm colors are reserved for the characters and items.
vs
...Yours is on the left? To be honest I prefer the original. The tree has more contrast and more depth. Your edit makes it look a bit flat.

Why is the tree so shiny?

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 03:57:41 am
It would be a lot harder to make an object look flat AND shiny.Highlights are meant to suggest form ( I don't know how else to say it)- the highlights might be a bit much, but they normally don't make an object look flat.

edited slightly*

ohhh, I think you confused which was which. The one with more contrast is by adarias. The slightly desat one is by JWW.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 03:59:50 am by gliding »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:45 am
I was saying the edit's leaves make it look flat.
The trunk was shiny in the original. I was just asking a general question.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 04:00:45 am
I think you confused which was original and which was edited. (see my previous post)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 07:51:47 am
Scrolling through the previous posts, I see none of JWW's that look like the one on the left (the purpler one for the dislexic). So I assume that Adarias' edit resulted in the one on  the left, with JWW's being on the right.

So...I stand by my comment that the edit looks flatter, and that I preferred the original.

And so I ask JWW, in general, why is the tree so shiny? The fallen log has depth but it isn't so shiny as the standing one. Those hilights just plain seem odd, to me, being so bright and jarring among the rest of the treetrunk.

Is that a sign by the fallen log? If so, is it readable? If not what is it? If readable, the player could and would probably easily pass it up, seeing as how it doesn't stand out at all.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 11:46:47 am
there is a lot of depth lost in the tree itself of course because no longer is there much interplay of light and dark, that is on purpose.  depth within a form is artistically desireable, but it is not in terms of graphics.  in terms of game layers, the tree is in a single layer above the character and should be treated as such, else result in the issues previously discussed.

a much more extensive color and value edit that i dont think JWW would like but is where i would take it to capitalize on the layers idea and just in general make the image more readable.

another alternative used successfully by some games is to keep the trees and other unwalakble areas cold while making all of the walkable areas hot, but also to visually raise them and only use them as a frame/border.  Since this tree must visually be placed before the character however, it looks as though he can walk right under it, i dont know that that is rreally a viable solution.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 04:02:48 pm
I've always loved how color theory can define playing fields, and this is an interesting discussion.

The tree trunks are a bit visually confusing to me. The one lying on the ground shares the same colors and shading as the upright one which flattens the image for me. Also, the tree's color ramp is very close to that used by the dirt tiles. It might be worth it to give the trunk more saturation and the ground less.

Beautiful work overall!   

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:39 pm
wow thanks for all the comments =)
@xion - to be honest i don't really know why.  I didnt pay much attention to the trunk when i was making colour swaps.
@adarias - i really love the upped contrast.  Unfortunately i havent put my tiles together in a tileset yet so its a total pain in the ass to go through swapping colours right now.  Really appreciate the edits and input =)
@big brother - yea colours in the ground are used in the log and trunk.  Ill revise the palette on the tree and log.  And thank you!

p.s. call me Jake :3

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 10:36:29 pm
That's some crazy good work there. I can admit- I'm quite jealous  :D It makes me have an eye-gasm   :crazy:
The textures on the ground and everything are absolute  :y:

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 10:33:09 pm
Really, really nice... SD3 like.
Almost everything has been said already, butI think the grass area looks busy right now, I'm not sure how well it would work if you have a lot of those tiles at the screen at once. Maybe add some flat grass tiles in between?
:::....