AuthorTopic: forest mockup  (Read 15385 times)

Offline Kame

• View Profile

Re: forest mockup

Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 01:23:22 pm
Johnny Appleseed? Whatever it is, looks great, good luck with your game project.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 01:51:35 pm
The top left pickaxe-like grass blade looks really odd to me, and is (imo) really hurting the piece.
The enemies also look a bit dodgy to me, and I think the clover like clumps of grass under the tree have highlights that are much to strong.
Otherwise it looks really nice.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 04:33:57 pm
Blue tree foliage, as nicely rendered as it is, due to being cool hued makes a hole into the warmer ground, seems to be less high than it. Basic color theory: warmer = closer, colder = further. I'd suggest a retinting of that part.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 11:13:04 pm
Blue tree foliage, as nicely rendered as it is, due to being cool hued makes a hole into the warmer ground, seems to be less high than it. Basic color theory: warmer = closer, colder = further. I'd suggest a retinting of that part.

Technically, i concur; however, this piece doesn't really bother me in terms of th hues used bcause of the fact that it's pulled off so well. If someone were to wonder why the tree is blue, it wouldn't be because of colour theory gone astray- it'd be because trees aren't normally blue.

My point is, that the trees shouldn't change hue because of technicalities like that- no will really notice unless they're looking for it.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 11:22:04 pm
no, helms crit is entirely valid. put your face 3 feet away from the screen. all but the highlights of the leaves will seem to come forward, the rest will seem to be behind the gjround.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 11:33:54 pm
but with a character of that size no one is going to have their face 3 ft from the screen :P

I see what you mean but my progger likes the blue trees and he's quite adamant on keeping them that way.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 11:37:38 pm
dont worry, crits arent laws.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 11:42:05 pm
blue in itself is far from being cold, it will help to liven it up a lot by tilting it away from the current prussian brights into the ultramarines though.  that way, the warm blues will com forwards, the neutral greens+reds will define the lighted path, and the cool greens+reds will define the shaded areas. The really warm colors are reserved for the characters and items.
vs
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 03:12:28 am
Friggin' awesome. Great job on this. It reminds me alot of Alex Hanson White's stuff. Especially the tree trunks and grass.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:58 am
no, helms crit is entirely valid. put your face 3 feet away from the screen. all but the highlights of the leaves will seem to come forward, the rest will seem to be behind the gjround.

No one ever said that they weren't valid. I said that they were in the first line of my text, merely stating that due to the cercumstances, that specific crit didn't hold enough merit to change the piece.

BTW. I really like your solution, adarias; it makes sense to me.