AuthorTopic: Pixelating Fire  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Yokai90

• I come here sometimes for advice & Eggs
    • boogie45
    • View Profile

Pixelating Fire

on: July 04, 2019, 04:50:10 am
Hey again, made another post.

Decided since I was doing some pixel art I would try again to pixelate fire. This is only my second time so I have some ways to go.

As always, feedback and tips are super appreciated.

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelating Fire

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 11:39:28 pm

A friend pointed out to me that the overall color of the fire looked more of a brown tone than red, so I quickly fixed that!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:21:20 am
The new reds are an improvement, but the yellows and oranges feel duller and less glowing/fire-like now.

I feel your AA and general thinness of some of the intermediate colours make the fire look blurry, I think perhaps eliminating 1-2 colours and having sharper boundaries between colours would help. The blurring around the yellow part in particular makes it look like there's a rounded hard shape inside the flames, rather than like the hottest part of the flame.

Offline Yokai90

• boogie45
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 02:40:15 am

@eishiya
I totally see what you mean as the previous fire being blurry! removed some color and reworked a little as well as up the saturation for the yellows and oranges.

Hopefully overall its an improvement from the first

Offline daramon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:52:21 pm
Just a random comment. While the most recent fire looks more well-defined and pixel-art-y, I preferred the overall shape of the original.

It told a story. I knew from looking at it that there was wind or a gust of air, which direction it was going in and how strong it was. It was dynamic.

The most recent one doesn't seem to have a narrative.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 11:19:45 am
From here your fire is looking blobby. Is it a flame or more like an explosion, how is it moving, what is the scale, the context? Stuff like that is what you ask thru the art process.

Here is some very good ref from the forums. Animated but watch the shapes. Actually, animating this kind of stuff is a great challenge.