Critique > Pixel Art

Doom Mod death animation

(1/5) > >>

xanthier:
Hi I did this for a Doom mod, but it looks like something out of monty python, all jerky and stuff. any suggestions for making it smoother or whatever it's lacking? I know it bounces up and down, I can fix that.

I will try to post the original doom cacodemon death for comparison. Thanks, for CC.

you can kind of see it here but not animated :(

http://panelmonkey.org/sprite.php?id=464&theme=3

FatalFetus:
If that animation is going to run smooth it'll need a couple more frames.. Its nice but choppy. Is the first screen a nondamaged version? If not, probably want to add one and delay a little more than the other frames. Looks pretty cool overall though, what exactly is it? Looks like a wierd beholder or something to me o.o

Fetus

Rawsushi:
When modifying Doom sprites, you can't insert extra frames of animation. The frame rate is what it is, and you have to live with it. I used to make Doom mods all of the time, so I know how hard it is to create decent-looking death animations. The trick is to make sure there is that constant flow. Almost everything should  continue animating and nothing should remain too stagnant.  Keep an eye out for things that don't move. For example: Those spikes on our left should stay animating during their drop, but there is a frame where they just kind of stop, then continue animating. Also, the brain becomes exposed at the top of the head, but just disappears in a single frame. I understand that it's dropping out, but even adding the slightest quiver to show some stress would help a lot.

FatalFetus:
Ah didn't know about the framerate. Was never a real big doom fan.. Sorry then.

Pegucha:
I think it looks pretty good!
Though, I'm not sure why its shifting down then to the right and back up again? I think if you center align the body of the monster in every frame it will be much easier to work with and it won't seem so eradic. It'll also be easier to spot problems in the flow of your animation as monsoon2d said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version