AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS  (Read 145061 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 (Rules Fixed)

Reply #170 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:55 am
sent in my scores

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 (Rules Fixed)

Reply #171 on: February 27, 2007, 05:06:41 am
Yay!  Perhaps soon we'll finally be able to see the subm--
*Blick bursts through the door, clutches a stapler and clocks Fak on the skull*

@artisan: Very very nice.  They read well, and don't get too caught up in details to miss the overall form.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS

Reply #172 on: February 27, 2007, 05:35:39 am
Results are up.
congrats to all winners

Next challenge will be announced shortly.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #173 on: February 27, 2007, 05:40:14 am
snake's and buloght's entries appear to be the same.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #174 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:24 am
fixed.

note:
some entries had no tiles submitted
or there were a few rules broken on some.
Each of those entries were docked in scores.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #175 on: February 27, 2007, 05:43:38 am
What does "replacement" mean?

I never got around to making one.
My new night job is making me sleep more, and draw less.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #176 on: February 27, 2007, 05:51:22 am
snake's and buloght's entries appear to be the same.

Ahem, allow me to correct you:

snake's and buloght's entries appear to be 5 types of awesome...

Seriously, though great job everyone. I'm still in awe that I actually won. I felt mine was flat as a pancake. Feron, great effin' job man. I bet if you would have finished it, with more time on your hands, I'd be your bitch right now.

Wonderful entries. If this was nails for me, the next round is definitely going to be brutal...like, daggers...

**Edit**
I almost forgot. Procrastination nearly dealt it's lethal blow to me, so I never got around to asking the judges: Did my piece break any of the formatted rules? Any critiques for some of us, or was it too painful?...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:23:16 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: February 27, 2007, 06:02:56 am
Haha compared to the other ones mine sucks royally!
I guess I deserve to be out. :D

...wait I'm not out?
Why was I replaced?
I think I did the worst, most flat piece of all of them. (I did it without knowing anything)
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #178 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:08 am
Here's another edition of Helm Critiques For No Reason, then.

First of all I want to apologize on behalf of the organizers for the whole tilespace rule mixup. If these were for a game engine, the way they could be approached would be multiple. A whole sprite of any size with alpha could overlay and have priority over just tiles, and the tiles could be cut in boxes or in st0ven-like four-way tiles, generally, there's many ways to do an ISO piece for a game.

However these aren't for ONE game or ONE engine, so we failed to produce I believe, a set of rules that made sense fast enough and clear enough. In retrospect I now realize what we should have done is just dispense with tile limitation at all and let everyone reuse what they want or even draw the whole thing without any repeated tiles, and just have a DIMENSION CAP at about 250x200 or something. Anyway, live and learn, next time it will be done clearer.

Snake's piece is very strong, wonderful color and detail work, makes me want to be there, so naturally it wins my heart. There's those abrupt cuts at the sides of the cliffs, but I suppose it's due to tile shortage. Anyway, not much to crit here.

I like 9_6's piece, though it's simple compared to his competition. The lack of elevation and the pretty ordered placement of elements doesn't say alien world as much as it says zoo, what with the little bench and all. Still, it has its atmosphere and works pretty well for what it is. It just lost because the opposition was too strong, not because it was bad itself.

Solididea's piece is a ambitious design, but I believe pixel-art-wise it could be handled much better. I don't see the point of the dithering in the water and in the sides of the cliffs, it just makes it all seem a bit too grainy for its own good. There's a sense of solemnity in this one, and I enjoy it enough. Just needed more pixel work and perhaps a bigger mockup.

Lawrence looks like he ran out of time, basically. What's there is nicely pixelled, the attention to the colors is good, and the shapes and forms work. But it lacks the more work needed no not look a bit boring. I have no pixel art critique here.

Mirre's small mockup has the nicest palette alteration in the set in my opinion. It's a bit small and level, but what's there is very good. It looks like her creature from round 1 could live in this little mockup. If this was more extensive and with different planes and such it would be my favourite from the round. It is however enough to defeat GNdestroyer's piece

Which is good and I like the elements, but the pixelling is a bit messy. It also suffers from the monochromaticism a bit, plus, broken outlines irritate this greek, I dunno if anybody else minds them but they make me want to hug kittens just a tad too hard for their health.

B.O.B's entry is strange. On one hand, I think it fails as a seamless mockup world, as every element is disparate and there's not much to connect them or it all stand as a whole. On the other hand, I am pretty certain I've never seen nor will I ever see any piece of ISO that looks like this again in my life. Everything is totally hard-edged and in-my-face, it's an interesting aesthetic attempt, even if the creator isn't very happy with it. It might fail in terms of 'conventional' ISO, but it's distinctive and seems like a nice place to explore. I'd play that game.

Feron's piece, it's a shame. This is probably the most well-done pixel art piece in this round. The elements that are there have been pixelled carefully and precisely. They're very well done. It's just not enough of them. It's a boring mockup not because Feron is a boring pixeller, but because he didn't pixel enough shit to make it interesting.

Snader's piece is very good! Daring elevation attempts and a pretty belivable gameworld at the end. I'm impressed by how a bunch of tiles in the end translate to a palce you want to walk (or climb in this case) around and such. I think the 'mist' wasn't a good idea, but otherwise, it's a good piece. Saturation and contrast issues are happening but they could be easily solved.

Bad form, dropping out of the competition, though. You took the place of someone else that could have went the whole way. Other people have had real life to deal with while working on their entries like Mirre and Snake, but they didn't drop out.

I won't even talk about people who had two weeks to submit something and gave us invisible entries. Shame.

Buloght's piece is the suprise of the round for me. It's probably my favourite after Snake's, and a very likable mockup generally. So much detail, perhaps a bit too much detail everywhere, interesting vegetation, water and plane elevation. Even a little waterfall. Splendid, really. A great entry. Congratulations, Buloght.

Blick attempts something here that almost nobody else did: he goes for 'alien world' if it were in Mother/Earthbound. Cute, extremely clean cutout world that doesn't try to hide the iso-ness and seem realistic, but revels in the 'oh, videogames, heh!' feeling. It's a very good entry, and a lovable attempt at something daring and different. Congrats. However, more work could have gone into it, and the bottom line is that if you took the spaceship out of there, this isn't really much more alien a world than the park down the street from where I live ;)

Sherman's iso monument is not bad, and it could be a good base for something more to build around it but alas, not much else is there. Likewise my comment be sparse.

Filax disappoints me with not putting in a full entry too, as what he has there has nice colors and seems promising. Oh well.

Offline ZodiakLucien

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: February 27, 2007, 06:40:55 am
Buloght's entry is truely amazing. Such top notch work, hard to believe its tiles. I hate to see Goodnight destroyer go. I really liked his creature from round 1.