AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS  (Read 145975 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS

on: February 09, 2007, 08:35:18 am
FUTURE LANDS / ALIEN PLANETS

Current Standings:

Challenge 2: Future Lands / Alien Planets
Description:
Create a future landscape / or an alien planet landscape in Iso tiles.
Colours and Tiles:
-16 colour preset pallete.
-You are allowed to substitute ONLY 4 colours from the pallete for 4 of your own.
-You are allowed 1 transparent colour. 16colours +1 transparent.

-Tiles are 32x15 (2:1).
-No overlapping edges. Tiles fit together without overlapping.
-Only the 'x' and 'y' of the bounding box are defined as 32x15. Your max height can be 100 for the bounding box.. You are allowed to vary your height though, but it cant go past 100. (for iso measurements cant be more than 16x16x77). I explain this on the second page. (the image lower down with the tree, has examples of how iso translates into bounding boxes).

ATTENTION: this is the proper palette:

That is your pallete you must use. Remember only 4 colour exchanges allowed.
Also, there is an example of the tile and how they fit together.
Restrictions / Rules / Guidelines
- the tiles cannot go outside of the canvas. The full tile should be on the canvas, no tiles are allowed to be half on. Ex: If the map was completly flat, i should be able to see all 4 sides of the map.
-40 original tiles maximum. you do not need to fill the full 40, but that is the absolute max that is allowed. You are allowed to use each of the 40 original tiles more than once, so that you ARE able to tile, but only 40 original.
-flips, rotations, mirrors, etc all count as a new tile. They become something different than the original tile, becoming original themselves.
-No life / creatures allowed. the only living things allowed are plants. No actual creatures that can move.
-Must be of a unique made up landscape. No pictures for reference. this should be fine since the theme is of future lands / alien planets.
-I do not want to see a full world, or a world map(such as continents and such). Make it an actual scene, like of some old forest, or a rundown futuristic city, alien swamp, etc.
-No preset canvas size. but the canvas shape must be a diamond/square. I want an equal amount of tiles on all 4 sides.
-No backgrounds. All I want to see is your tiled map. Make the background 1 solid colour, not transparent.
-Do not post in any other forums, keep your image to yourself until i post the duels
-no animation
Trees
-For trees, and shrubs... The foliage (branches / leaves) are allowed to extend onto the 8 nearest/surrounding tiles of the base/trunk. The base must fit all onto the 1 tile, but the leaves and branches once its in the air are allowed to overhang onto the surrounding tile. This means, that this would only count as 1 tile. ex:

the base of the tree is all on 1 tile, but the leaves overhang. This counts as only 1 tile.
Time:
2 weeks
Submitting:
-Do not post your image in this thread. PM me the image.
-Submit 2 images. The first image should be just your map. The second image is of your tiles all separated out, and the pallete with the alterations you made. Make it obviouse which colours you changed.
Judging
-How well the tiles fit together
-depth variation
-creativity
-varied land types within image (water, air, ground, cliff, etc)
-quality
-overall composition
Deadline
Saturday Feb24 - 7am GMT
Friday Feb23 - 12am/midnight (mountain standard time)
(these are the same times, just depends on where you are in the world).

If there are any questions feel free to ask, and ill answer.
Please scroll through atleast these first 2 pages, I answered alot of questions that may help.
Updated the rules though with the latest rule amendments
---

Duel 1
Snake VS 9_6
WINNER: Snake
snake:

---
9_6:

Duel 2
SolidIdea VS Lawrence
WINNER: SolidIdea
SolidIdea:

---
Lawrence:

Duel 3
Mirre VS GNdestroyer
WINNER: Mirre
Mirre:

---
GNdestroyer:

Duel 4
The B.O.B. VS Feron
WINNER: The B.O.B.
The B.O.B.:

---
Feron:

Duel 5
Souly VS Snader
REPLACEMENT: 9_6
Souly:
NO ENTRY
---
Snader:

NOTE: Souly didnt post an entry, and Snader is dropping out. This position went to the runner up, 9_6.

Duel 6
Buloght VS .TakaM
WINNER: Buloght
Buloght:

---
.TakaM:
NO ENTRY

Duel 7
Blick VS Sherman Gill
WINNER: Blick
Blick:

---
Sherman Gill:

Duel 8
PKmays VS Filax
WINNER: Filax
PKmays:
NO ENTRY
---
Filax:

There.
Thats all the entries and duels. I didnt present them in any fancy way because they are all different sizes.
I didnt post the tiles, but if anyone is interested I can post a link to them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:40:29 am by flaber »

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 2

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:49:18 am
This is a brilliant challenge idea :). Goodluck all. Goodluck, takam, you are going to be a tough oponent, grrr.

Hmm, now to try and make something iso for the second time ever .... grrr  :P

Question: ------------------

1. Are there a maximum allowed individual tiles? Or could we make 40 individual ones say? (As in no reuse of the same tile)

2. And say we make a big tree, can it expand over tiles as broken up into parts? You mention non-overlapping. edit, ok stupid me, I understand by what you meant with overlapping.

3. How about canvas shapes? It doesn't have to be rectangle? We could make some s-shape scene or something for example?

4. For example, a fallen over tree is possible? If we break it up into tiles right?

-----------------------------

Sorry for maybe dumb questions, iso is foreign to me. Iso is confusing to me  :P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:12:01 pm by buloght »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:55:33 am
yes, Im looking forward to this buloght :)
one question, if I were to make a tree, would it count as one tile since the base of the trunk is contained on one ground tile?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:10:05 am
I so totally know what I'm gonna do!
Guess I can't have fish though, huh?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:12:17 am
Damn. Tiles.

Has anyone ever seen me make tiles? No. Except once. I was experimenting, don't judge me! And has anyone ever seen me make anything isometric? Maybe a couple times. I'm screwed.

Well, let's do this, Sherman.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:16:57 am
yes, Im looking forward to this buloght :)
one question, if I were to make a tree, would it count as one tile since the base of the trunk is contained on one ground tile?

Flaber will reply, but I think this is a yes. The tree can be as tall as it wants, but it should be constructed from tiles that count against your tile usage. So you can't have a tree with one tile's worth of tree trunk and then 120x200 pixels of foliage above it, unless you cut that folliage into tiles.

EDIT: sorry, I just checked the palette and the image isn't clean. Reads 30 colors or so. Here's the clean 16 color palette, and I also adjusted the lightness of a few shades so there's not near-identical colors. Do not use this palette in your art until Flaber makes an official call that this palette is to be used

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 09:27:40 am by Helm »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:34:25 am
Well, let's do this, Sherman.
To the pain (Most likely from carpal tunnel from all the mad scribbling I'm about to do in my sketchbook)! To be honest, I would have gone all emo since I also only made one building out of Iso tiles, but then I remembered who I was facing ;).

I assume A) Every tile can and should be unique and B) concave tiles count as only one, even if another is showing behind it?
Edit: Wait. B) is kind of stupid... Sorry. C) Every entry must be a diamond shaped grid?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 09:38:16 am
-40 tiles maximum. you do not need to fill the full 40, but that is the absolute max that is allowed.
Perhaps you should specify whether this means the count of unique tiles or the total number of tiles positioned to construct the scene.  And perhaps keep whichever it wasn't in mind for a future challenge.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 10:10:55 am
Why? Oh god why?
I hate making tiles or backgrounds and I never made an isometric picture, I'm gonna face snake and I only have 1 week.
I'm screwed ~_~
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:51:46 am
I am going to make my "just for fun" entry so great that you will regret ever eliminating me!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 01:26:11 pm
I am soooo happy I didn't move on   :P
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:54 pm
Very interesting round! This is a first time for me. Never done isometric work nor tiling.

Just 3 questions:

How many unique tiles?
Does height parts count as tiles in case there is a set number of unique tiles?
No ramps or tile deformation allowed?

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 01:30:25 pm
Just got assigned to do character designs for a huge commercial, and will most likely be working a lot of overtime. I hope I get the time to make something.

The description puzzles me a bit. You can make 40 tiles or is it maximum 40 tiles used in the submission? Does 'not going outside the canvas' mean none of the tiles are to touch the picture's edges? Like a floating island of sorts? Does making it 'as tall as you like' imply that I can make a wall that spans from the bottom to the top of the submission with as much detail as I see fit and it still serves as a single tile? Do structures, like trees and rocks require separate tiles if they overlap other tiles upwards, but stay withing their 'tilespace'? Are walls to be made as tiles, and if so, shouldn't we have a template for them?

Anyway, best of luck to all of you. This is going to be interesting.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 01:34:59 pm
hm yeah I didn't think of that either. I guess either a z-axis limit should be set, or a canvas size, or both.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 02:18:48 pm
I can't draw in iso metric.
I automatically fail at this.

Snader will end up winning garunteed now.
There's no way I can do iso, I can't get my head around it.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 02:34:43 pm
LMao, everyone's getting shaken up. I would too though, iso is definetely not a strong point for me.

I WANT EVERYONE TO FINISH THEIR PIECES. I wanna see what ideas people come up with. If you don't feel you can do it, you shouldn't have taken part in a pixel tournament in the first place! Tsk..  :hehe:

(Btw i'm joking, i would actually die right about now... you poor guys n gals.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:36:33 pm by Larwick »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 02:36:59 pm
I was unaware the styles were going to become specific when I joined this thing.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 02:50:18 pm
Hahaha the panic  :lol:, Oh man this is just great ..I feel some of us who are not competing should make sprites for cheering.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:59 pm
Apart from the fact that I never did any Isometric work, I believe that what'll screw me is the preset pallete. I just don't like it. If only I could change six or seven colours...

Oh yeah, and I'm against PKMays. I'm so screwed.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 03:25:41 pm
I don't know why so many people have trouble with isometric, its so easy to the point I never want to do it.
I enjoy the challenges in perspectives like the traditional rpg, but isometric is so easy its boring :P

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 03:47:42 pm
Great challange :y:, I love isometric :D

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 03:58:51 pm
   Well damn...Iso, and backgrounds. Heh, it seems everybody wasn't expecting this so soon. I'm predicting alot of confusion, with submissions on this one. Le sigh, even though these are 2 things that I am the most horrible at, I'm pretty sure it will be great practice. Plus it would seem I'm not the only one who has 0 background with tiling, or iso, so this would mean we're practically all in the same playing field here. No worries. A well rounded pixel artist has to learn iso some time or another. Good luck, one and all.
   And Xion, your loss will not be in vain. I shall necromance your soul and bind it with mine to form a super beast, only known as " THE A"B.O.B."MINAL XIONIC NIGHT!"
my back hurts...

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 04:02:54 pm
*kicks self some more for not checking the board more regularly*
Gah, this is the kinda challenge I love....Great stuff from everybody last round BTW...:D

I may have to make a scene just to knock some of the rust offa my skills...

Can't wait to see what y'all kick out for this one...:D

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 04:05:08 pm
I don't know why so many people have trouble with isometric, its so easy to the point I never want to do it.
I enjoy the challenges in perspectives like the traditional rpg, but isometric is so easy its boring :P

Stop with the trash talk  :P haha, you are scaring me.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 04:33:36 pm
I can't draw in iso metric.
I automatically fail at this.

Snader will end up winning garunteed now.
There's no way I can do iso, I can't get my head around it.

yes my iso is absolutely great.

i think most of use are quite screwed here

i'm just glad that i dont have to create the tilesizes but there's a tamplate ^_^  i LOVE whoever made it, makes it a lot easier. as for Z axis, i think members themselves have a good idea of what are acceptable sizes. besides, if you make the Z's too big, the landscape will not be quite coherent

souly. good luck =3 don't get too worked up though, it's only a friendly thing (i'm not holding ack though =P)

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 05:03:05 pm
man i'm kind of confused, but not.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 05:47:44 pm
You're all a bunch of pansies and I'll be stomping you like puppies.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 05:52:45 pm
I'm not a pansie! I'm a Tiger lily, ready to pounce on you with delicate touch! Beware!!!

Also, I too am confused a bit. So there isn't an exact canvas size, but more so,  it just has to be within a limit of 40 tiles, and they can't touch the outer dimension of the canvas size we choose. Kinda' like a floating island, as Snake mentioned. I think, I'm slowly getting this, but again, I'm iso-retarded. Time to summon Jalonso for some studying up...
my back hurts...

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 05:55:57 pm
Yeah i hate iso. I understand the tile thing, and all of that. But I'm still confused about things like trees. I know where the tree touches the ground count's as tiles, but what about the branches themselves, can i make a tree as big as i want, and not have it count towards the tiles?

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 06:00:06 pm
I am terribly confused  :-[ also with the trees. And what about longish grass hanging over a cliff (raised tile) that is inside the canvas?

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 06:09:56 pm
Haha great now everyone is more or less screwed up and confused.
I'll leave now and when I return -after a week- I want to see some clear, non-misenterpretable (if that is a word) rules so I can start working on my tiles.
Bye and good luck to everyone.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 06:15:56 pm
Kinda good i did't win the first round, im not really good at iso.. never really tried. Anyway good luck everyone :O, cant wait to see.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 06:28:01 pm
Once Flaber is here to explain the rules clearly, and tell us if the palette I tweaked is official or not, I'm restarting the two-week period so nobody has to suffer because the rules weren't clear.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 07:12:02 pm
   Cool. Oh I have question for "Nightmare on Helm's Street:" Since you are basically a third(or fourth, can't remember how many) of the judges, I've noticed that a lot of us have little background with iso, and are unclear with it's general rules. During the 2 week span that we are allowed to work on it, will it be possible to send a WIP in progress with questions as to what is legal? For example:

I send you a WIP and ask if any thing in the piece is legal or illegal, NOT critiques. This can go through the rest of the judges and they can give the OK as to send back a reply message saying which parts of the piece will be allowed. Again, NOT critiques, just simple replies stating which parts are legal, and a statement or clear set of the rules, as to why it's illegal. I understand this may effect judging, but I'm just presenting this example in case we send something at the last minute, and are automatically disqualified for breaking a rule of the challenge, when it could have been prevented in the beginning.
   I guess Flaber, and the others will get a more clear statement of the rules once they get back. Thanks for holding this off, though, Helm...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:27:37 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 07:36:57 pm
Another question: The palette must be the same on the entire image (and we can only change four colours of that global palette) or do we have a palette per tile, therefore enabling us to change four coulours in one tile and four different ones in another?

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 07:41:39 pm
Just another one from me  :-[ We have to submit our tiles, does that mean we need to submit slight obstructed ones too? Meaming we have to complete all tiles individually even if they might be slightly obstructed by a tree or rock?

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 08:21:54 pm
i think the best way to send it in is with a mockup and the tiles as a separate set.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 08:55:51 pm
I guess it doesn't matter that i flunked out now, i wouldn't have been able to do this round anyway. :P

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 09:49:10 pm
i think the best way to send it in is with a mockup and the tiles as a separate set.

My problem is say I have a structure (like a very very thick treetrunk or a hollow tree trunk lying over multiple tyles, the front part will obstruct the back with height mostly, so if I have to submit the entire tileset do I submit these back partly-obstructed tiles with blank areas or do I need to fill those areas, for example say I have big rock and it stretches over two tiles, do I need to draw the insides of the rock on the back tile just to complete the tileset? I want to make like red areas where obstructed area are  :P cause my scene will have a couple, unless I misunderstand the rules and no object may be built from mutliple tiles? That would be a downer.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 09:49:26 pm
I don't have any trouble understanding the rules. i figured objects like plant life would have to count towards tiles, and the z axis would be a common sense thing. If they're all uniform tiles, and you make one tiles count as most of the canvas' height, then you're going to screw yourself over into making an obnoxiously tall piece that's hard to read, due to mass amounts of scrolling, anyway. I'm pretty sure the 40 tiles are individual ones, not the amount to make your scene. 40 tiles to make a scene, especially if they count the ones you've laid under the top layer if you want varying altitudes, would run out quickly. 8x5 flat tile scene? That's pretty small.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: February 09, 2007, 10:01:23 pm
I just made this, it breaks just about every rule though. Maybe some of the real contestants will find some inspiration from it?

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 10:33:49 pm
One thing I really dis-like is that we can't even add any characters.  :-\
Which means that we have to draw just scenery which I can't even do to begin with.

Also I have no idea what the X and Z thing means.
Let alone the tiles rule.
Like what are we supposed to do?
Honestly I don't understand anything other then the fact that we have to do iso, and use the pixelation palette.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 10:55:19 pm
Cheers for B.O.B.

I might try this even though I'm out of the tourney. Looks real fun. I've done Iso before but never really found it fun because it's really quite too easy.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 11:08:11 pm
Iso's easy when you work with mostly square shapes and simple shading. I'm working on an iso piece right now, it's a bitch.. when you stop using straight lines and iso-friendly angles, and start making weird curved surfaces that lay at weird angles it gets a lot trickier (and a lot more fun).

On a side note, Solid Idea, I'm so glad you won.. you obviously spent a good chunk of time on yours, I thought it was hilarious, it was so much more refined than my pathetic attempt. Good luck versus Lawrence!
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 11:45:46 pm
Also I have no idea what the X and Z thing means.
x is horizontal length, y is the vertical, z is the depth. They've given us the template of the tiles that already have x and y given, making the depth, z, entirely up to you.

Which means that we have to draw just scenery which I can't even do to begin with.
Well then, you're just going to get better at what you do. If you lose, you can at least say you gained some knowledge to do better with backgrounds, tiles and isometric art all in one go.

I don't understand anything other then the fact that we have to do iso, and use the pixelation palette.
It's not the Pixelation palette :X

You're all a bunch of pansies and I'll be stomping you like puppies.
If we both make it to the third round, YOU'RE MINE.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 11:47:17 pm by Blick »

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 10, 2007, 02:03:16 am
as far as i see it, you may use a maximum of 40 different tiles, and a maximum of 40 total tiles for the mockup (which kind of kills the idea of tiling =S) and anything layered should ofcourse be on another tile. the heights of tiles are not set, but i dont know  if this means you can choose 1 height that applies to all tiles, or every tile can have a different height

omgbruceleejustwinkedatme

aanyways. i allso think the palette is supposed to be 16 colours for ALL tiles, thus the total set, and there are no maximum colours per tile(well other then 16, duh)

i'm in the dark as far as animation goes. does every frame count as a tile? ir animation even allowed? do animated doors count as life/creatures?

anyways i should go to sleep now i do get to have 2 weekends right? thats the only time i've got a PC

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #46 on: February 10, 2007, 02:09:22 am
Im hesitant to say anything since the round has started, but st0ven had a nice tutorial which shows how to use square graphics to construct an isometric scene. With this, it wouldn't require any vagueness to how tall something should be since you'd be useing the same size graphic for constructing anything.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 10, 2007, 09:02:13 am
hmmm,
well. sorry now for the confusion
I guess sometimes things make better sense in my head then how they come out...

now lets see if i can answer the questions..
Quote from: buloght
Question: ------------------

1. Are there a maximum allowed individual tiles? Or could we make 40 individual ones say? (As in no reuse of the same tile)

2. And say we make a big tree, can it expand over tiles as broken up into parts? You mention non-overlapping. edit, ok stupid me, I understand by what you meant with overlapping.

3. How about canvas shapes? It doesn't have to be rectangle? We could make some s-shape scene or something for example?

4. For example, a fallen over tree is possible? If we break it up into tiles right?
Answer1: About the 40 tile maximum, it refers to how many unique/original tiles you are allowed. You are allowed to use them repeatedly as much as you want. ex: you could make 1 unique grass tile and reuse it over and over to make a grassy land. This includes any flips / mirrors/ rotations / etc. Any alteration, or any change in a tile counts towards your 40 tile original tile limit.

Answer2: Each tile is only allowed to be 32 wide. Any foliage on the tree, or branches that extend out over tiles would count as a new tile. Imagine a bounding box that fits onto the 32x15 base. You could have your trunk on the first tile with afew leaves and beginning of branches, then the extended branches and leaves would probably need to fit onto a new tile..
ex:
on the left could be the bounding box idea. On the right is a quick example of a tree and how its branches extend onto different tiles. The change in colour of branches indicates its on a new tile..
Remember though, even though you may only have made a new tile for the branch, it could also double as another ground tile, or put something else on there.
The tile can have transparent places, so that you are able to have the branch overlap the tile behind it, instead of having to fill in the whole tile to make it look like the tile behind - hopefully that makes sense.

Answer3:
For your canvas shape. Please keep it as a square / diamond. Equal amount of tiles on all 4 sides.

Answer4: Yes, a fallen down tree is allowed. As long as you break it up into separate tiles, that is fine.
---
Quote from: .takam
Answer1: Only if the entire tree is contianed within the bounding box i mentioned above. Anything that would overlap in any other direction than up or down needs to be on a new tile. (up and down is just your z axis of the tile.)
---
Quote from: helm
EDIT: sorry, I just checked the palette and the image isn't clean. Reads 30 colors or so. Here's the clean 16 color palette, and I also adjusted the lightness of a few shades so there's not near-identical colors. Do not use this palette in your art until Flaber makes an official call that this palette is to be used

Strange that it read 30 colours...
Anyways, you did clean up that pallete nicely. this will become the new official pallete. Use this one opposed to what i originally posted.
---
Quote from: sherman gill
I assume A) Every tile can and should be unique and B) concave tiles count as only one, even if another is showing behind it?
Edit: Wait. B) is kind of stupid... Sorry. C) Every entry must be a diamond shaped grid?
Answer1: You are allowed 40 unique tiles. You can reuse these tiles over and over, but there is a cap on 40 unique.

Answer2: Yes, they only count as one. Because concave would be dealing with the z axis (up and down) you are able to have tiles show behind it, because of the depth difference (transparency).

Answer3: the grid must be a diamond / square. all 4 sides must be equal.
---
Quote from: 9_6
Why? Oh god why?
I hate making tiles or backgrounds and I never made an isometric picture, I'm gonna face snake and I only have 1 week.
I'm screwed ~_~
There are no backgrounds for this challenge... The whole scene / landscape needs to be constructed out of your tiles. Use 1 solid colour for the background where the tiles do not cover.
---
Quote from: solididea
How many unique tiles?
Does height parts count as tiles in case there is a set number of unique tiles?
No ramps or tile deformation allowed?
Answer1: 40 unique tiles max.

Answer2: Height parts? im assuming you mean change in elevation, or anything above the base tile i posted. Yes changes in elevation, height, depth, etc are all allowed.

Answer3: Im assuming by ramps you mean change in elevation, not colour ramps. Ramps are allowed. the map does not need to be flat. Change in elevations would be nice, and the transition tiles you use such as ramps, hills, slopes etc are allowed. They are still tiles, which go towards the tile count.
---
Quote from: snake
The description puzzles me a bit. You can make 40 tiles or is it maximum 40 tiles used in the submission? Does 'not going outside the canvas' mean none of the tiles are to touch the picture's edges? Like a floating island of sorts? Does making it 'as tall as you like' imply that I can make a wall that spans from the bottom to the top of the submission with as much detail as I see fit and it still serves as a single tile? Do structures, like trees and rocks require separate tiles if they overlap other tiles upwards, but stay withing their 'tilespace'? Are walls to be made as tiles, and if so, shouldn't we have a template for them?
Answer1: 40 unique tiles, no reuse count (allowed to use those 40 unique tiles over and over ~ tileing)

Answer2:What i mean by does not go outside of the canvas is that your entire map must be visible. From the very top, to the very bottom, to each side. I dont care how big your square map is, as long as all tiles are visible.
ex:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/factpj.png
(hope you dont mind miascugh, that i used that for an example)
As you can see, the entire map, and every tile is visible. None is cut out by the edge of the canvas.

Answer3: hmmm. honestly, i did not think of the making it as tall as you wanted... i figured that the other 2 sizes (32x15) would keep the height in proportion. But that is a good point. There is now a height limit of 100px. Each tile does not need to fill the full 100px height, but that is the maximum. Since this is the maximum, each tile can have its own unique height / z axis as long as its within the 100px.

Answer4: If a tile overlaps upwards, you do not need a new tile for it. Transparency of the tiles is allowed so that you ARE able to overlap.

Answer5: Im not sure i know what you mean by are walls tiles. Anything you make in your scene must be in a tile form. If you want a wall in your scene, then use a recatangle / square iso tile. The height of it is up to you, as long as its under 100px.
---
Quote from: souly
I was unaware the styles were going to become specific when I joined this thing.
each challenge will progressivly get more difficult.
---
Quote from: the b.o.b.
   Well damn...Iso, and backgrounds. Heh, it seems everybody wasn't expecting this so soon. I'm predicting alot of confusion, with submissions on this one. Le sigh, even though these are 2 things that I am the most horrible at, I'm pretty sure it will be great practice. Plus it would seem I'm not the only one who has 0 background with tiling, or iso, so this would mean we're practically all in the same playing field here. No worries. A well rounded pixel artist has to learn iso some time or another. Good luck, one and all.
There are no backgrounds. The only background i want to see is of 1 solid colour. Anything you create for your scene / landscape of the "future lands / alien planets" needs to be done on the iso map with tiles. no backgrounds.
---
I'm not a pansie! I'm a Tiger lily, ready to pounce on you with delicate touch! Beware!!!

Also, I too am confused a bit. So there isn't an exact canvas size, but more so,  it just has to be within a limit of 40 tiles, and they can't touch the outer dimension of the canvas size we choose. Kinda' like a floating island, as Snake mentioned. I think, I'm slowly getting this, but again, I'm iso-retarded. Time to summon Jalonso for some studying up...
True, there is no set canvas size. Meaning you could focus on packing in alot of your detail and make an effective small map, or make an interesting landscape by creating a larger map. 40 unique tiles, but no limit on how many times you can reuse them.
Essentially, yes, it would be like a floating island. Similar to the link i gave for snake.
---
Quote from: GNdestroyer
Yeah i hate iso. I understand the tile thing, and all of that. But I'm still confused about things like trees. I know where the tree touches the ground count's as tiles, but what about the branches themselves, can i make a tree as big as i want, and not have it count towards the tiles?
I mentioned earlier up how to deal with the trees. Every time it steps into a new bounding box of a neighbouring tile, it becomes a new tile itself (unless directly above).
---
I am terribly confused  Embarrassed also with the trees. And what about longish grass hanging over a cliff (raised tile) that is inside the canvas?
Transparency is allowed, therefore if you have a raised tile with grass overhanging, it would be fine because of the transparency. Just make sure you double check your bounding box (mentioned the bounding box earlier in this reply).
---
   Cool. Oh I have question for "Nightmare on Helm's Street:" Since you are basically a third(or fourth, can't remember how many) of the judges, I've noticed that a lot of us have little background with iso, and are unclear with it's general rules. During the 2 week span that we are allowed to work on it, will it be possible to send a WIP in progress with questions as to what is legal? For example:

I send you a WIP and ask if any thing in the piece is legal or illegal, NOT critiques. This can go through the rest of the judges and they can give the OK as to send back a reply message saying which parts of the piece will be allowed. Again, NOT critiques, just simple replies stating which parts are legal, and a statement or clear set of the rules, as to why it's illegal. I understand this may effect judging, but I'm just presenting this example in case we send something at the last minute, and are automatically disqualified for breaking a rule of the challenge, when it could have been prevented in the beginning.
   I guess Flaber, and the others will get a more clear statement of the rules once they get back. Thanks for holding this off, though, Helm...
hmmmm.... hmmm...
for this challenge... I will allow PMs regarding legal moves for the image. There are 4 judges, so take your pick as to whom you want to check with. We will not crit the piece, nor give advice. All we will say is if you did something wrong or not.
If you so choose to send a PM, call it, "ISO legal check"
then post your image and ask what you want checked. We will only answer what you ask for, even if we see other things that may be wrong. So please be specific with your questions, do not ask 'is there anything wrong, if you spot anything please tell'. rather ask specifically about the tree, or the grass overhang, etc.
again, this can go to any of the judges...
Alot of people are uncomfortable with ISO in general, so for this challenge, doing a double check will be allowed.
---
Quote from: filax_666
Another question: The palette must be the same on the entire image (and we can only change four colours of that global palette) or do we have a palette per tile, therefore enabling us to change four coulours in one tile and four different ones in another?
Answer1: There is only 1 universal / global pallete for the entire image. You are only allowed 4 exchanges. Each tile does not get a specific pallete. You can use 1 or all 16 colours if you want. The pallete is a global pallete for the whole image, not individual tiles.
---
Just another one from me  Embarrassed We have to submit our tiles, does that mean we need to submit slight obstructed ones too? Meaming we have to complete all tiles individually even if they might be slightly obstructed by a tree or rock?
Answer1: Yes all tiles must be submitted, even if they are obstructed. Obstruction occurs when you make your map, not your individual unique tiles. When 1 tile may be obstructed, you may have used that same tile some other part in your map and it is completely visible. that does not mean it is 2 unique tiles... it is the same tile except 1 is fully visible and the other is covered.. does that make sense?
---
Quote from: snader
Yes. Please submit your tiles and edited pallete as a new image. therefore your submission will be in 2 pieces. first image is purely your finished product, your iso map. the second image will consist of all the unique tiles, and the pallete. for your pallete make sure you clearly define which original colour you changed to your own.
---
i'm in the dark as far as animation goes. does every frame count as a tile? ir animation even allowed? do animated doors count as life/creatures?
no animation again.
---

hopefully i answered alot of your questions.
im sorry again for being rather unclear. I knew what i was trying to say, and i guess it didnt come out the greatest. Lets keep this going for atleast 1 more day incase there are any more unanswered questions before the round restarts.

Im looking forward to all the entries. The different landscapes, and alien vegetation should be interesting.

As of right now, all the rule changes and such are only on this post. I will update the main front page once the challenge restarts (by then hopefully all the questions will be answered, and any rule changes / verification will have been made).

thanks helm for dealing with, and answering the questions

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 12:10:47 pm
wait. not even allowed to make water tiles move up and down (i mean the FULL tiles, so the tiles stay the same) or fences sliding left/right?

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 04:46:54 pm
No animations means NO animations. If he says it, he means it.

Offline Sampe

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:15 pm
I recommend you to put this palette in the first post:

Some competitors may not notice it in the middle of the thread. :)

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: February 10, 2007, 05:58:15 pm
No animations means NO animations. If he says it, he means it.

*whimper*

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #52 on: February 10, 2007, 06:00:50 pm
Btw, the two weeks are now ON. Up to Feb 24.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: February 10, 2007, 06:04:27 pm
Answer3: hmmm. honestly, i did not think of the making it as tall as you wanted... i figured that the other 2 sizes (32x15) would keep the height in proportion. But that is a good point. There is now a height limit of 100px. Each tile does not need to fill the full 100px height, but that is the maximum. Since this is the maximum, each tile can have its own unique height / z axis as long as its within the 100px.

Answer5: Im not sure i know what you mean by are walls tiles. Anything you make in your scene must be in a tile form. If you want a wall in your scene, then use a recatangle / square iso tile. The height of it is up to you, as long as its under 100px.

So essentially, the size restriction is 32x100, not 32x15. If, for example, I don't like 32x15 boxes and would rather go with 32x16, it's legally within the restrictions? There's also nothing stopping me from abusing as many 32x96 boxes (so they line up cleanly) to fill in as much area with pixels as possible, and then use smaller tiles to fill in the gaps?

Answer1: About the 40 tile maximum, it refers to how many unique/original tiles you are allowed. You are allowed to use them repeatedly as much as you want. ex: you could make 1 unique grass tile and reuse it over and over to make a grassy land. This includes any flips / mirrors/ rotations / etc. Any alteration, or any change in a tile counts towards your 40 tile original tile limit.

So, flips, mirrors, and rotations DON'T count towards unique tile count, correct? We're assuming the map is running on some sort of engine that allows for such transformations?

Wugh. Also, if we're going to be using transparency, does one of the 16 colors from the palette get dropped to act as a transparant color, or do we get 16 colors + transparency?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:44:12 pm by pkmays »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: February 10, 2007, 10:04:17 pm
Yes. Please submit your tiles and edited pallete as a new image. therefore your submission will be in 2 pieces. first image is purely your finished product, your iso map. the second image will consist of all the unique tiles, and the pallete. for your pallete make sure you clearly define which original colour you changed to your own.
What if every tile is unique?

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: February 10, 2007, 10:19:11 pm
I would really recommend reusing tiles anyway, Sherman. It'll show your efficiency with tiling.

And if they are all unique, giving them the broken up tileset will save them from having to find all the different tiles in your mockup.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: February 10, 2007, 11:22:22 pm
Flaber, wouldn't the tree example you gave take up 10 tiles for main trunk and 12 including those extra branches? Or have you changed the tile size to 32x100?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #57 on: February 10, 2007, 11:27:34 pm
Sadly I feel there's an issue of tile priority. In a real engine, some tiles would have a transparency palette slot and would very easily be placed on lots of different 'backgrounds' for smart tile usage. I think some priority rules should be posted.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #58 on: February 11, 2007, 03:14:47 am
nvm lol

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 09:12:29 am
Flaber, wouldn't the tree example you gave take up 10 tiles for main trunk and 12 including those extra branches? Or have you changed the tile size to 32x100?

As I understand it, the trunk is one tile unless it goes higher than 100, then it becomes two. If it goes outside of its bounding box with a branch you go into a different tile. If the branch is still below 100 height it counts as the ground tile of that new bounding box? Oh oy I hope I understand, otherwise I have to start over  :'(

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007, 09:49:26 am
Quote from: pkmays
So essentially, the size restriction is 32x100, not 32x15. If, for example, I don't like 32x15 boxes and would rather go with 32x16, it's legally within the restrictions? There's also nothing stopping me from abusing as many 32x96 boxes (so they line up cleanly) to fill in as much area with pixels as possible, and then use smaller tiles to fill in the gaps?
essentially... yes.. the bounding box is 32x100.
But your diamond shape must still be the diamond shape i provided.. 32x15. So every base/bottom of each tile (using bottom as standard, because the top can vary due to trees, rocks, etc) must be the diamond of 32x15.
ex: heres an image that my hopefully answer your a question...

on the left is your question regarding tile heights, and tileing. on the right is how is the same as yours, but rather, how it should be set up.
Note that the bottom of each tile is what makes the diamond shape of 1) the tile itself, and 2) the diamond shape of the whole map.
Every tile used needs to lineup with the bottom diamond.(light pink).
...hopefully.. maby just hopefully that answered what you were trying to get at. i wasnt entirely sure.

Quote from: flaber
Quote from: pkamys
So, flips, mirrors, and rotations DON'T count towards unique tile count, correct? We're assuming the map is running on some sort of engine that allows for such transformations?

Wugh. Also, if we're going to be using transparency, does one of the 16 colors from the palette get dropped to act as a transparant color, or do we get 16 colors + transparency?
that was poor wording on my part. I meant to leave a gap between talking about flips /mirrors/rotations and my example...
That was meant to go with the last sentence. any alterations or changes counts towards your tile count. flips mirrors and rotations are alterations of a tile.
that was just my poor paragraphing. sorry.

the transparency colour would be #17. do not worry about setting aside a colour from the pallete for transparency. You are allowed 1 extra colour to set it as the transparency.
---
Quote from: helm
Sadly I feel there's an issue of tile priority. In a real engine, some tiles would have a transparency palette slot and would very easily be placed on lots of different 'backgrounds' for smart tile usage. I think some priority rules should be posted.
what exactly do you mean with priority rules? also.. any of the judges, if you feel a rule needs clarification, correction, or a new rule feel free to go ahead and make the correction.

---
As I understand it, the trunk is one tile unless it goes higher than 100, then it becomes two. If it goes outside of its bounding box with a branch you go into a different tile. If the branch is still below 100 height it counts as the ground tile of that new bounding box? Oh oy I hope I understand, otherwise I have to start over
yes, this is correct.
That branch tile can be all transparent except for the branch, because it is higher than the ground, but you may also add anything else to the tile too because it is a new tile, therefore you could add ground to it.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007, 11:57:26 am
The palette would be a lot better if it had 100% black in it, looks like im gonna have to ditch one of the highlight colors :D

Question:  Are we gonna be judged on how "alien" it looks.  Obviously it can't look like earth - but an alien forest would'nt really differ that much from an earth forest - apart from plants and creatures (which arent allowed).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:06:24 pm by Feron »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 07:45:19 am
flaber, I'm still fundamentally confused about this 32x15 vs 32x100 business. If we're only allowed to have 40 unique 32x15 tiles then how can your tree example count as only 1 tile? Could you post a tileset for the tree example?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 08:26:55 am
The base of the tile is 32*15. So you can have like, an iso rectangle, 9*5 grid made of 45 32*15 tiles. But those tiles are also able to extend into 3d vertical space without using up other tiles because, technically, the verticality of the tile doesn't affect any horizontal plane. So if you take an cube and divide it with vertical lines into 32*15 squares, then each vertical section would be a tile.

I hope I got it right.
I hope it made sense.

I'm really looking forward to the results of this round. It'll be even better than the 1st for sure! :D

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 06:19:39 am
Lawrence:
Here, is an example i created in hopes of it helping to make better sense of my words.

Firstly, about the 32x15, and 32x100 and such.
On the right side of the image I have dimensions shown.

Now, lets explain these alittle more.
The small iso tile that i have labelled 16x16 is the base standard tile. Since isometrics is rotated at 45 degrees to the viewer, so is its axis'. Therefore, X=16 and Y=16 (width x length). X and Y are no longer straight across and up/down because they are rotated with the tile to form this perspective. This is the flat part, what is parallel to the ground

The next tile I have is labelled 16x16x77
I already explained the first 2 numbers (16x16), so now ill talk about why i have 77.
77 refers to the height of the tile. This is the depth / z axis. Since isometrics is a 3d perspective, we now have 3 different measurments. The Z axis is perpendicular to the ground, adding height and depth.
But why is 77 the max for Z? this is because of the bounding boxs.

On the opposite side (after the equals) I have 2 square boxes. the first is labeled 32x100, and the second is 32x15.
The first rectangle is the bounding box for the whole 3d tile, 16x16x77. If you were to draw a box around that, it would measure to be 32x100. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the max bounding box is 32x100. therefore, when you change it back to 3d, you have 23extra pixels on from the top and bottom diamond shapes. 100-23 = 77 is the max for Z, because then the whole tile fits within the bounding box.

The second small box, is the bounding box, 32x15 for the small iso tile.

Dont worry yourself too much about the bounding boxes. Those are just there for some people for an added visual, and for when i sometimes refer to the bounding box, or 32x15 for the tile(that being the same as 16x16iso).
---
about the tree.
Originally, I had planned that only what could fit into the tile/bounding box would be in that tile, no overflow onto other tiles.
However, as i went to make you an example of what I wanted with this tree (tree from Super Mario RPG)
I found it to be quite difficult and hard to determine which leaves and branches go to each tile.
So, Ill make a rule correction.. Since I found out myself the difficulty and impracticality of my older idea.
For trees, or small bushes the leaves and branches are allowed to extend out over the 8 surrounding tiles, like i have shown. This will now only count as one tile, because the base of the tree is on 1 tile, and the rest of the leaves overhang onto the nearest tiles.
Is that better?

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 (Rules Fixed)

Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 07:50:16 am
That helps a lot, thanks flaber.

.Takam, hehe, jalonso is secretly making my entry for me, which means you are up for a challenge, goodluck!

.... grrr I just gave it away now I have to do it myself.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: February 15, 2007, 05:35:21 am
I understand now, thanks flaber. I was confused by the use of the word "tile" to describe what is essentially a "block", but I've only ever done non-tiled iso before so now I know :p I just have one extra, general question regarding the last rule change about trees; wouldn't it be possible to bend the definition of what constitutes a tree, bush, leaf or branch? especially when you bear in mind the theme of this round, one could claim something unrecognizable to be a futuristic tree or alien-tree, and then go and use it as part of a building structure or something.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: February 15, 2007, 06:38:02 am
I know that the plants and such that could be created using that last rule will be very different and interesting. Im hopeing they will be interesting, instead of just some poplar and palm trees.
So about bending that rule, I do realize there could be some iffy things.. but that goes with the futuristic/alien theme.
My best suggestion is to use your own judgement. If your unsure or iffy about if it will be allowed feel free to PM me regarding it. Its better to double check about something you know consciously that you may be bending the rule, instead of assuming.
So I understand that there will be some interesting things, but if you feel unsure then PM a judge.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:38 pm
I thought the two weeks were reset?

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: February 15, 2007, 06:08:08 pm
Btw, the two weeks are now ON. Up to Feb 24.
:::....

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #70 on: February 16, 2007, 04:27:15 pm
That was the original, i remember because it's the same night as my band's next show. So the due date was never really reset.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #71 on: February 16, 2007, 06:32:05 pm
Feb 23 was the original.

You might want to pixel more and debate this less.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: February 17, 2007, 11:12:53 pm
Got one submission.
Around, 1 week left

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: February 18, 2007, 08:47:12 pm
I'm really not sure if i can do this. :( I've been incredibly ill for the past week and a half. Puking and having 5 minute long coughing attacks. :(

It's all just left me without the will to pixel or anything. I'm desperately going to try because I want Mirre to finally have something to go up against. But this isn't looking good.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: February 18, 2007, 09:16:34 pm
Hey I'm back from the vacation and now working on this.
Man you couldn't have chosen a subject which is more out of my comfort zone than this but I think I'll get something done.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: February 18, 2007, 10:50:48 pm
I got a second wind last night. Sherman Gill is going down (if he didn't have a stronger first and/or second wind than I.)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: February 19, 2007, 01:19:31 am
im glad i chose something out of most of your comfort zones.
Then it will push you to try something new, and to step out of your safety zone.
It will hopefully make you explore a new path.

Also think of it like this though,
you may not be comfortable with iso - but by the sounds of it, so are most people.
So even if your iso isnt the greatest around, your opponents might not be the greatest aswell.
So even if your not sure about doing iso, go for it anyways - who knows, you might just get lucky.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: February 19, 2007, 02:59:01 am
Now it is time to shatter the wall of apathy!
*Proceeds to hustle*

You may or may not be going down, Blick! Preferably the latter.
Edit: And by latter I mean former.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: February 21, 2007, 10:56:08 pm
only a few days left

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #79 on: February 21, 2007, 11:24:00 pm
only a few days left

only 31 tiles to go  :crazy:

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 06:31:42 am
I am really curious to see every bodies entries!  ;D Two more days YIPPEE!

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: February 22, 2007, 07:23:21 pm
Is the deadline on friday (tomorrow) or on the 24th?
Tomorrow is the 23th you know...
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: February 22, 2007, 08:43:04 pm
It says on the first page. You know, in the rules.

Friday Feb24 - 7am GMT
Thursday Feb23 - 12am/midnight (mountain standard time)

Really looking forward to seeing what everyone's come up with. I have to say I think this here Pixelator thing is one of the best things that've happened to this community!

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: February 22, 2007, 08:56:35 pm

Friday Feb24 - 7am GMT
...and that's exactly what confuses me.
Today is thursday the 22th, the rules say the deadline is friday the 24th or thursray the 23th.
So what should I to believe now?
The dates or the day names?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: February 22, 2007, 09:04:42 pm
Just turn it in before midnight tonight, to be safe.

I personally don't understand the times either, but will turn it in hours earlier than what I assume it means.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:26 pm
All right so I'll just put an end to this rigt now.
I've just sent my entry.
Watch your back snake, I won't go easy on you... yeah, that's what I would like to say but I'm not really confident about my victory.
Just god luck to everyoe and send something or else...  :mean:
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: February 22, 2007, 09:48:37 pm
Ergh. I don't know if I'm gonna make it. I scrapped my first attempt after 3 hours of work, which was utter crap, and haven't done any work since.
Sorry if I don't submit anything, in advance, Blick.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #87 on: February 22, 2007, 11:00:53 pm
its better to submit a wip
or something unfinished than nothing at all

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: February 22, 2007, 11:55:04 pm
If you don't finish, you should be apologizing to the person that you knocked out, instead. Before, it was just a few people that couldn't get in. This time around, you run the risk of pissing off the 16 people that wanted to be in round 2.
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:31 pm
Submitted my piece. Just worked on it off and on over the two week period, I think it came out alright. Except for the grass. The greens in the palette weren't very grass friendly in my opinion, but I didn't want to bother changing them :\

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #90 on: February 23, 2007, 01:15:25 am
Considering this whole pixelator is a kinda trial to see how things work, i guess its a good point to note that this challenge may have been a little bit hard for a round 2.  I can't imagine what's going to come in the latter rounds...

Isometric stuff is hard enough as it is - let alone the limited (bitch of a) palette.  2 weeks is ample time - if one has nothing else on.

Sent mine in now (unfinished) because i thought the deadline was saturday, good job i checked.  I hope for all competitors sakes the next rules are a lot clearer from the start.

Feron

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: February 23, 2007, 01:18:58 am
Considering this whole pixelator is a kinda trial to see how things work, i guess its a good point to note that this challenge may have been a little bit hard for a round 2.  I can't imagine what's going to come in the latter rounds...
Tessellations? I sure hope so. :hehe:

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: February 23, 2007, 03:49:10 pm

Friday Feb24 - 7am GMT
...and that's exactly what confuses me.
Today is thursday the 22th, the rules say the deadline is friday the 24th or thursray the 23th.
So what should I to believe now?
The dates or the day names?
Heh, I meant you to go after the TIME, not the day. It's the same in both those cases, just depends on where you live.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #93 on: February 23, 2007, 04:51:19 pm
oh come on, the palette is very friendly

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #94 on: February 23, 2007, 06:46:35 pm
It's almost over can we have an actaul "show of hands" who is going to submit? I know 2 entries are already in, that's 2/16 how many are we looking at?

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: February 23, 2007, 07:02:26 pm
I'm submitting mine. However, if the deadline was at noon, today at 12:00, then I'm screwed. I'm at work, and can only submit it tonight, when I get back(11:00 p.m.). Hope it's not a problem...
my back hurts...

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #96 on: February 23, 2007, 07:11:26 pm
My entry is in.

I would just like to say, that I'm not happy with the result and could have done more. A bad artist blames his tools. I guess I'll have to blame time. I've been doing overtime on consept designs for a new commercial. It's set to rival the new Coca Cola commercial that aired recently. We started (ironically) 2 weeks ago and for some reason our customers have only given us 2 months to complete what is essentially going to be the largest commercial the company has ever made. Me and four others had to have the entire story and characters planned by today. We just finished the storyboard and can finally get the 3d animators working on Monday.

I apologise that I couldn't put more work into this. Look forward to seeing what people have come up with.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: February 23, 2007, 07:57:26 pm
I'm submitting mine. However, if the deadline was at noon, today at 12:00, then I'm screwed. I'm at work, and can only submit it tonight, when I get back(11:00 p.m.). Hope it's not a problem...
According to the rules, we have about 11 hours left (from the time of this post).

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: February 23, 2007, 11:59:19 pm
Haha. I am a fool.

With this much time left, I really could have made more than 3 tiles (and one four tile object).

I expect a loss, but I regret nothing.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #99 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:57 am
Uh... you can still update your entry as much as you like up to the deadline, Sherman.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #100 on: February 24, 2007, 01:09:56 am
Uh... you can still update your entry as much as you like up to the deadline, Sherman.
I thought that once you sent it in, it was final.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #101 on: February 24, 2007, 01:12:57 am
What gave you that idea?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #102 on: February 24, 2007, 01:15:06 am
quote from flaber

For this challenge im going to say no. You have 2 weeks to work on your entry. If you arnt quite happy enough with it, dont submit it as early. In a duel you only get one chance to beat your opponent, you cant have multiple attempts, or retry a move. So similar to that, what you submit is what will be placed against the opposing person. You have one chance / opportunity to beat them, so you should make sure you are pleased with it when you submit. 2weeks should be long enough to ensure this.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #103 on: February 24, 2007, 01:15:24 am
Flaber said once it's sent in it's final. Unless you state that you're just checking to see if you broke any of the rules.

How much more time do we have to finish this?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #104 on: February 24, 2007, 01:17:44 am
Oh man, slap to Helm for not reading the rules properly. I don't see the point of that rule Flaber set, but hey, it's the rules and that's that.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #105 on: February 24, 2007, 01:21:19 am
tell me how many more hours

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #106 on: February 24, 2007, 01:21:58 am

*slaps helm accross the face* 

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #107 on: February 24, 2007, 01:28:09 am
how could it be six, it's 30 minutes into the hour...

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #108 on: February 24, 2007, 01:36:51 am
Let's say 5 to be safe?

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #109 on: February 24, 2007, 01:44:10 am
alcohol!

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #110 on: February 24, 2007, 01:55:01 am
hahahahahahhahshsahshjasdfdhasfsd I don't even have one tile made. This is gonna be fun!!!

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #111 on: February 24, 2007, 02:25:29 am
Submitted mine :(

...can't say I'm very proud over it. Haven't done iso before, hated the palette, was uninspired, and I've also been a bit busy (got a freelance job!). But at least I submitted something.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: February 24, 2007, 02:31:16 am
I hate you mirre.

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #113 on: February 24, 2007, 03:05:56 am
Sent mine too. Hope it's good enough to offer Lawrence some challenge.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #114 on: February 24, 2007, 05:07:47 am
how many hours until this is done

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #115 on: February 24, 2007, 05:17:17 am
I think you have 43 minutes.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #116 on: February 24, 2007, 05:23:22 am
But last time i had until 1 in the morning, sdjfdaskjlfasd

edit: I have an hour and a half, i should be fine. The forum is on gmt, it's 5 30 gmt here, it's due at 7 00 gmt

:D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:30:14 am by GOODNIGHTdestroyer »

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #117 on: February 24, 2007, 06:11:01 am
Okay. I guess, whenever I say a time, ignore me. I'm apparently retarded with time differences.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:12:42 am by Blick »

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #118 on: February 24, 2007, 06:23:13 am
Yay! My steaming pile of crud is done. Despite it's horrendous nature, I'm still glad I at least sent something in. I didn't want to seem like a hypocrite when I was angry at those who didn't participate in round 1. Hopefully Feron get's his piece lost in a time warp or something...(prays for time warp)
my back hurts...

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #119 on: February 24, 2007, 06:41:11 am
Just sent mine in (with 21 minutes to go!). I have a feeling you will beat me SolidIdea, mine is rubbish!! Good luck anyway.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #120 on: February 24, 2007, 06:47:43 am
Sent, I hate it.

I predict that this is where I shall fall in this battle of pixels.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #121 on: February 24, 2007, 06:58:28 am
Why oh why did I get one of the few people who seem confident in their entries as my opponent? :(

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #122 on: February 24, 2007, 07:17:02 am
That's quite a few entries, I guess ISO was a hard task, looking at the instructions from flaber I think I should give this a bash. (Just a fun pic obviously) Anyway I might try it out.
Congrats on all who entered!

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #123 on: February 24, 2007, 10:11:56 am
everybody is bursting with selfconfidence i see =P

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #124 on: February 24, 2007, 11:38:17 am
They are! I'm loving it. But I'm still expecting to be pleasantly surprised by some of these entries. It's a tough challenge, and I think it'll have pushed some participants for the better. Improvement FTW.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: February 24, 2007, 12:10:28 pm
I regret not entering this compitition, inactivness FTL~!
looking forward to seeing some great entrys! (im sure they'll better then you all think ^_^)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 12:12:03 pm by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #126 on: February 24, 2007, 01:13:27 pm
I regret not entering this compitition
me too, ah I would have been out in the first round anyway :P

Man, I really want to see what everyone made

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #127 on: February 24, 2007, 03:23:10 pm
*Drumroll*

Goodluck everyone.  :y:

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #128 on: February 24, 2007, 04:50:57 pm
Oh would you looks at that, submissions were due at 12.
I was way too drunk to get on the computer.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #129 on: February 24, 2007, 04:53:36 pm
Weren't they 10 hours ago...?
Or did flaber bump them for 1 day because pixelation was down for a while?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #130 on: February 24, 2007, 05:31:43 pm
Well it says I had to submit mine around midnight last night on the first page.
So I assume that's when I should have submitted it.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #131 on: February 24, 2007, 06:16:36 pm
Ill bump this one more day because the forums were down.
This is because, if people had questions they were either unable to send a PM or I was unable to send a response.
this may have also affected people in submitting their entry.

Sunday Feb25th 7am GMT
exactly 1 day bump, so whatever time you had worked out for the original deadline for your timezone, is 1 extra day.

Id just hate it to cause people to not be able to submit because the forum was down

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #132 on: February 24, 2007, 06:21:10 pm
well, that sucks for the people who already send their entry in because they thaught it was today :-\

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #133 on: February 24, 2007, 07:04:23 pm
then give them the change to resubmit if they need to.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #134 on: February 24, 2007, 07:59:11 pm
So um...Can we re-submit, if we felt that, I don't know, our original pieces sucked too much?( And yeah, I read the rules from the beginning, so no smart-ass quotes from the original post. Just wanting to know if we now had this option, seeing as how there is an extra day, and that some may have been rushed to finish...like myself...)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:05:28 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #135 on: February 25, 2007, 08:42:41 am
I don't think so...
The deadline has been passed 1:41 hours ago.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #136 on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:50 am
End of deadline

Ill soon contact the judges with the entries
and prepare the next challenge as soon as possible.

sorry for being unable to answer some of these questions quickly
been busy all weekend with birthday stuff, and havent gotten a chance to get to the computer

well have results up soon

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #137 on: February 25, 2007, 09:41:52 am
wth. i'm not in the submission thing?

i sent a pm 3 days ago.
well here it is anyways. http://www.pixelsnader.nl/images/pixelator%202-J.PNG

allso. i guess if you didnt get the pm, you most likely didnt read i wanted to leave the tournament after this round. if i win, my place goes to the best of the losers. if you please =3

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #138 on: February 25, 2007, 12:44:59 pm
pkmays didn't send an entry in, where is he?
 he hasn't been online pretty long: February 15, 2007, 04:59:49 AM

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #139 on: February 25, 2007, 12:50:42 pm
pkmays didn't send an entry in, where is he?
 he hasn't been online pretty long: February 15, 2007, 04:59:49 AM
Oh damn what a shame!  :(
Was really looking forward to his entry....

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #140 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:09 pm
So... when can we see the entries?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #141 on: February 25, 2007, 12:56:12 pm
NOW.... please.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #142 on: February 25, 2007, 09:23:36 pm
any chance the entries are gonna be up soon?

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #143 on: February 25, 2007, 10:03:39 pm

i sent a pm 3 days ago.

allso. i guess if you didnt get the pm, you most likely didnt read i wanted to leave the tournament after this round. if i win, my place goes to the best of the losers. if you please =3

i have your entry
and i got your PMs

you said you were dropping out, so i didnt include your entry.
But i guess i misunderstood.
ill include your entry.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #144 on: February 25, 2007, 10:13:52 pm
Sad to see that even in the second round 2 entries are missing. You posting the results now?

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #145 on: February 25, 2007, 10:34:17 pm
I would guess he is, there's a lot of pngs to make and images to host/upload like last time so flaber's got his work cut out for him.

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #146 on: February 25, 2007, 10:44:06 pm
hes probably out getting drunk  ::)

joking oviously.

but seriously, POST THE ENTRIES!
untz untz untz?

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #147 on: February 25, 2007, 10:48:09 pm

i sent a pm 3 days ago.

When you win*

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #148 on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:11 am
i'm going to sleep, when I wake up in some 9-10 hours, I hope i see the entries. :(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #149 on: February 26, 2007, 06:47:51 am
I've judged the entries. I'll wait for them to be posted before I give public critique, if you guys want it, that is.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #150 on: February 26, 2007, 07:32:57 am
I've judged the entries. I'll wait for them to be posted before I give public critique, if you guys want it, that is.

Heh, I can almost foresee my crits: (Tries to imitate Helm's voice- which is a voice never heard, only sounds through the light taps of the keys on a keyboard ) " B.o.b., what the (Greek obscenity) is this? Total crap. Disappointing pile of fecal matter, from which not even the spawn of Satan will touch!...But at least you tried." (ends with heartwarming, sitcom music, where everyone partakes in the group hug.)

Yeah, something like that. I must admit though, in the beginning I had no idea how to approach this. I had made some initial tiles in the first 2 days of the competition. After that, I just stopped. Towards the end, which was pretty much the day we had to submit it, I started getting some great ideas, that seemed great at the time. I wished they would have came to me towards the beginning. Would have came out much better. Oh well.
   Never been much for Sci-fi, or iso related subject matter. Pretty hard for me to be creative in that area. However, I thank you guys for sending us something out of our comfort zone. Just helped me come to terms, that I still need to master every spectrum of the mysterious pixel technique. Good luck to everyone, and again, Feron, may the best man win...
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #151 on: February 26, 2007, 07:35:05 am
just another apology to buloght and everyone else, I didn't submit anything for this round.
just been busy with the doctor and work, so yah, sorry for the disappointment guys

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #152 on: February 26, 2007, 07:51:41 am
just waiting on indigo
results will be up shortly

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #153 on: February 26, 2007, 08:05:08 am
you could post the pieces.  last round the pieces went up before they were judged.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #154 on: February 26, 2007, 08:05:27 am
You're killing me, flaber. I want to see the entries so bad.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #155 on: February 26, 2007, 08:41:35 am
I would guess he is, there's a lot of pngs to make and images to host/upload like last time so flaber's got his work cut out for him.
Well, uploading 10 images should take about 5 minutes using imageshack.

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #156 on: February 26, 2007, 09:22:53 am
Can't sleep.

I'm kind of pissed that Taka didn't submit anything. I was really looking forward to his. Seeing as how he's the master of mockups.

Offline Slothien483

• View Profile

Reply #157 on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:22 pm
It's a shame that even in the second round, some persons couldn't finish it in time, now that you bring that up.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: February 26, 2007, 01:41:43 pm
Ah no, I was waiting all day looking forward to the entries and they still aren't here :(

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #159 on: February 26, 2007, 02:28:30 pm
It's a shame that even in the second round, some persons couldn't finish it in time, now that you bring that up.
I didn't even make one. :/

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #160 on: February 26, 2007, 02:33:56 pm
if you never intended to make one, why not say so beforehand, and let the person you eliminated take a crack at it instead?

or better yet, let me take a crack at it! i love iso...
untz untz untz?

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #161 on: February 26, 2007, 02:38:38 pm
=/ I just feel sorry for buloght.. He had a great entry the first time around (and probably now too) but hasn't gotten any competition. Kind of lame tough it's a fine activity.
:::....

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #162 on: February 26, 2007, 03:26:24 pm
buloght voodoos his opponents i think. i won't be able to make anything against him next round either.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #163 on: February 26, 2007, 03:58:00 pm
Promise you won't all laugh when you see mine.  :P I spent ages worrying about tricks on how to be most economic with the tiles but ended up wasting so much time on that, that I didn't even use half the tile limit! After I get knocked out by solid idea, I'll have a go at doing more tiled work, because I quite enjoyed it.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #164 on: February 26, 2007, 06:09:58 pm
*waits* when will it be posted?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:11:40 pm by Rerg1 »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #165 on: February 26, 2007, 08:26:53 pm
Why don't they just post them? The juries can give comments on them later like last time

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #166 on: February 26, 2007, 08:33:05 pm
Just wait. Is every single person going to ask to post them? Maybe the kid has something else to do currently. Maybe he wants to post the images and the results simultaneously this time, so he doesn't have to edit the tournament image and make the frames for all the entries at different times. I'd imagine it's one of those choices, since he didn't post them after the first time someone brought it up. I mean, an entire page dedicated to us asking to see the entries or talking about how someone didn't make one, it's getting old guys.

Let's just ride our patience out. I'm sure they'll be up today or tomorrow.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #167 on: February 26, 2007, 09:41:20 pm
Hey there, something for you all to look at before you are shown, im not in the challenge but felt like having a go...

not finished yet (transition tiles and such) but i dont know if i will bother finishing it, might do might not....

"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #168 on: February 27, 2007, 02:52:37 am
we need to motivate non-submitters with promises of BANNINGS. It's the only whip that can drive the lathargic userbase of pixelation.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #169 on: February 27, 2007, 03:09:08 am
Indeed.  Those lazy scalawags.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #170 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:55 am
sent in my scores

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #171 on: February 27, 2007, 05:06:41 am
Yay!  Perhaps soon we'll finally be able to see the subm--
*Blick bursts through the door, clutches a stapler and clocks Fak on the skull*

@artisan: Very very nice.  They read well, and don't get too caught up in details to miss the overall form.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Round 2 RESULTS

Reply #172 on: February 27, 2007, 05:35:39 am
Results are up.
congrats to all winners

Next challenge will be announced shortly.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #173 on: February 27, 2007, 05:40:14 am
snake's and buloght's entries appear to be the same.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #174 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:24 am
fixed.

note:
some entries had no tiles submitted
or there were a few rules broken on some.
Each of those entries were docked in scores.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #175 on: February 27, 2007, 05:43:38 am
What does "replacement" mean?

I never got around to making one.
My new night job is making me sleep more, and draw less.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #176 on: February 27, 2007, 05:51:22 am
snake's and buloght's entries appear to be the same.

Ahem, allow me to correct you:

snake's and buloght's entries appear to be 5 types of awesome...

Seriously, though great job everyone. I'm still in awe that I actually won. I felt mine was flat as a pancake. Feron, great effin' job man. I bet if you would have finished it, with more time on your hands, I'd be your bitch right now.

Wonderful entries. If this was nails for me, the next round is definitely going to be brutal...like, daggers...

**Edit**
I almost forgot. Procrastination nearly dealt it's lethal blow to me, so I never got around to asking the judges: Did my piece break any of the formatted rules? Any critiques for some of us, or was it too painful?...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:23:16 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: February 27, 2007, 06:02:56 am
Haha compared to the other ones mine sucks royally!
I guess I deserve to be out. :D

...wait I'm not out?
Why was I replaced?
I think I did the worst, most flat piece of all of them. (I did it without knowing anything)
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #178 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:08 am
Here's another edition of Helm Critiques For No Reason, then.

First of all I want to apologize on behalf of the organizers for the whole tilespace rule mixup. If these were for a game engine, the way they could be approached would be multiple. A whole sprite of any size with alpha could overlay and have priority over just tiles, and the tiles could be cut in boxes or in st0ven-like four-way tiles, generally, there's many ways to do an ISO piece for a game.

However these aren't for ONE game or ONE engine, so we failed to produce I believe, a set of rules that made sense fast enough and clear enough. In retrospect I now realize what we should have done is just dispense with tile limitation at all and let everyone reuse what they want or even draw the whole thing without any repeated tiles, and just have a DIMENSION CAP at about 250x200 or something. Anyway, live and learn, next time it will be done clearer.

Snake's piece is very strong, wonderful color and detail work, makes me want to be there, so naturally it wins my heart. There's those abrupt cuts at the sides of the cliffs, but I suppose it's due to tile shortage. Anyway, not much to crit here.

I like 9_6's piece, though it's simple compared to his competition. The lack of elevation and the pretty ordered placement of elements doesn't say alien world as much as it says zoo, what with the little bench and all. Still, it has its atmosphere and works pretty well for what it is. It just lost because the opposition was too strong, not because it was bad itself.

Solididea's piece is a ambitious design, but I believe pixel-art-wise it could be handled much better. I don't see the point of the dithering in the water and in the sides of the cliffs, it just makes it all seem a bit too grainy for its own good. There's a sense of solemnity in this one, and I enjoy it enough. Just needed more pixel work and perhaps a bigger mockup.

Lawrence looks like he ran out of time, basically. What's there is nicely pixelled, the attention to the colors is good, and the shapes and forms work. But it lacks the more work needed no not look a bit boring. I have no pixel art critique here.

Mirre's small mockup has the nicest palette alteration in the set in my opinion. It's a bit small and level, but what's there is very good. It looks like her creature from round 1 could live in this little mockup. If this was more extensive and with different planes and such it would be my favourite from the round. It is however enough to defeat GNdestroyer's piece

Which is good and I like the elements, but the pixelling is a bit messy. It also suffers from the monochromaticism a bit, plus, broken outlines irritate this greek, I dunno if anybody else minds them but they make me want to hug kittens just a tad too hard for their health.

B.O.B's entry is strange. On one hand, I think it fails as a seamless mockup world, as every element is disparate and there's not much to connect them or it all stand as a whole. On the other hand, I am pretty certain I've never seen nor will I ever see any piece of ISO that looks like this again in my life. Everything is totally hard-edged and in-my-face, it's an interesting aesthetic attempt, even if the creator isn't very happy with it. It might fail in terms of 'conventional' ISO, but it's distinctive and seems like a nice place to explore. I'd play that game.

Feron's piece, it's a shame. This is probably the most well-done pixel art piece in this round. The elements that are there have been pixelled carefully and precisely. They're very well done. It's just not enough of them. It's a boring mockup not because Feron is a boring pixeller, but because he didn't pixel enough shit to make it interesting.

Snader's piece is very good! Daring elevation attempts and a pretty belivable gameworld at the end. I'm impressed by how a bunch of tiles in the end translate to a palce you want to walk (or climb in this case) around and such. I think the 'mist' wasn't a good idea, but otherwise, it's a good piece. Saturation and contrast issues are happening but they could be easily solved.

Bad form, dropping out of the competition, though. You took the place of someone else that could have went the whole way. Other people have had real life to deal with while working on their entries like Mirre and Snake, but they didn't drop out.

I won't even talk about people who had two weeks to submit something and gave us invisible entries. Shame.

Buloght's piece is the suprise of the round for me. It's probably my favourite after Snake's, and a very likable mockup generally. So much detail, perhaps a bit too much detail everywhere, interesting vegetation, water and plane elevation. Even a little waterfall. Splendid, really. A great entry. Congratulations, Buloght.

Blick attempts something here that almost nobody else did: he goes for 'alien world' if it were in Mother/Earthbound. Cute, extremely clean cutout world that doesn't try to hide the iso-ness and seem realistic, but revels in the 'oh, videogames, heh!' feeling. It's a very good entry, and a lovable attempt at something daring and different. Congrats. However, more work could have gone into it, and the bottom line is that if you took the spaceship out of there, this isn't really much more alien a world than the park down the street from where I live ;)

Sherman's iso monument is not bad, and it could be a good base for something more to build around it but alas, not much else is there. Likewise my comment be sparse.

Filax disappoints me with not putting in a full entry too, as what he has there has nice colors and seems promising. Oh well.

Offline ZodiakLucien

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: February 27, 2007, 06:40:55 am
Buloght's entry is truely amazing. Such top notch work, hard to believe its tiles. I hate to see Goodnight destroyer go. I really liked his creature from round 1.

Offline buloght

• View Profile

Reply #180 on: February 27, 2007, 07:14:19 am
Thanks for the kind words and crit on both rounds Helm.

Thanks ZodiakLucien.

Great entries again everyone, I was really feeling bad about my entry, especially knowing I'm up against takam, as I've seen his great mockups. Goodluck to the next round, all.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #181 on: February 27, 2007, 07:22:59 am
Congrats, everyone! Snake's is cool (#3), and so is Buloght's (#2), but #1 to me happens to be...
Filax.
It's just...Awesome! I wish...Ooooh, how I wish there were more.
Snader's (#4) is also very very nice.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #182 on: February 27, 2007, 07:37:32 am
Yeah, Helm, I started with the crater because I felt like making one and then really wanted a bridge and realized "Oh shit, I need something alien and/or futuristic..."

Hence the spaceship. I also wanted to mess with dirt more, so I made it a crashed ship.

And you caught the sort of Mother/Earthbound thing dead on. Once I finished, it reminded me of exactly that.

Edit: Whoa, Feron, I just noticed the clever use of tiles. I never even thought about making my crater in the manner you did, by using the height of a tile with an isometric image within it, basically making the tile hold more than it's perceived capacity.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:13:03 am by Blick »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #183 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:09 am

That's what I did during the given time.
I wasn't too inspired to make this isometric, so I didn't put much effort in to it.

Sorry guys, iso just isn't my thing.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #184 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:30 am
Buloght's is again my fav entry for this round...maybe I'll place my bets on him from now on :P

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #185 on: February 27, 2007, 02:45:57 pm
Yay! These look so good, to bad some didn't send in an entry but at least there are less dropouts then last time
buloght has the entry I like most :y:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #186 on: February 27, 2007, 04:05:42 pm
I must say the quality of these entries is a lot better than i was expecting.

helm - thansk for the kind words.  perhaps my careful positioning took too much time and lost me this round.

BOB - I bow down to you my worthy opponent!

buloght - that is amazing.  The scale, whilst small, has an incredible amount of detail.  congrats.

Solididea - very impressed by your entry, keep up the good work.

one thing i find slightly unfair is how filax failed to complete the challenge yet still continues to the next round.  The challenge was to make an alien world/map - not 2 tiles on a colored canvas.  Nothing personal, filax, but i think GNdestroyer should go through instead (as he - in my eyes - was the best runner-up).

anyways, i'm not a judge.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:08:29 pm by Feron »

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #187 on: February 27, 2007, 04:35:56 pm
Good luck Mirre. And congratulations. :D

You better go all the way now!

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #188 on: February 27, 2007, 05:33:10 pm
SolidIdea, the water and cliffs on yours are very good. Good luck against snake  :)
Filax, you should continue working on that because what's there looks excellent.
Blick, I like the reflection of the bridge in the water  :y:
Mirre, I love the colour changes and the plants, it's the perfect place for your monster entry :)
9_6, I was going to do a similar idea to your trees but I ran out of time. Those little computer things are a cool addition.
Buloght & snake, yours are amazing!

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #189 on: February 27, 2007, 06:34:50 pm
Helm: Thank you for your critcs, I'll surely try to improve my pixel techniques to try to give snake some challenge. And start polishing my work.  :P

Feron: Thank you :) The craters in yours are amazing, the style is immense, I'd love to see it finished!

Lawrence: Thank you too, and damn the time :/ I'm sure you'd own me good, you are a far greater pixeller than I try to be.
It'd be cool to see this underground facility finished some time :)

Flaber: Sorry I couldn't respond to your PM. Soon after I sent mine, I travelled down some states, to resolve some pending affairs (soon I'll start university, and I need a place to live :P).

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #190 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:18 pm
My apologies to everyone for not having a finished entry :sry:
In short, I miscaculated the date and thought I´d have the last weekend as well, which led me to slack a lil bit too much (I´ve been doing other pixel work in this time, as you may know). Two days before the deadline, I realized I had a lot less time than I expected. On Thursday I received the news that a very dear member of my family had died. All this combined, plus school, led to this. As you see, luck is on my side :( Again, I beg for forgiveness, since this was mostly my fault.

one thing i find slightly unfair is how filax failed to complete the challenge yet still continues to the next round.  The challenge was to make an alien world/map - not 2 tiles on a colored canvas.  Nothing personal, filax, but i think GNdestroyer should go through instead (as he - in my eyes - was the best runner-up).

anyways, i'm not a judge.  Just saying.
Yes, I understand this. If the judges find it best they may give my place anyone else they find worthy of going through (though not necessarily GND).

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #191 on: February 27, 2007, 07:58:44 pm

I just wanted to add some comments to some pieces. My favorite one being Buloght's piece (above). I love this piece the Hand emerging from the water makes me think that there is some sort of ancient civilization on this alien planet... The fossil looks awesome! Every tile complimenting the next, well done.

Snakes piece is very good! Also a favorite, I love the scientific spacey feel to it. Technology reigns on this alien planet, or so it feels. I get a Abe feel of off it, the goo is awesome with the reflection and it almost seems like some light is coming from it., the only thing ruining the piece for me is the very flat (on the sides) terrain at the top and also the very straight line where the pipe goes in the ground, it feels like the tile is cut off?

Anyway I would love to review all the pieces, but I am really lazy now. I liked all of them! Respect to all entrants cause this topic was hard IMO. I still want to create something like this one day.

Good luck to everyone for ROUND 3! 

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #192 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:26 pm
very nice done everybody...

think I best like Buloght pice aswell, like the jungel like feeling of it... very nice :y:

//Albin

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #193 on: February 27, 2007, 09:59:26 pm
Snake, that is completely awesome, I'm stunned. I love it, the alien technology, the atmosphere. It's truly magnificent.
Good job eveyone.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #194 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:08 pm
I knew this'd be worth it. Some REALLY flat pieces that all seem very similar to each other somehow... Which is also EXACTLY how mine would look were I in this. But luckily, I'm not.

But some pieces REALLY stick out as really beautiful with ingenious use of the available colors. It's amazing to see some of the diversity that can be created under the exact same circumstances and rules. Great job everyone.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #195 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:19 pm
I have to admit, that I was expecting more from this competition(As in better results), probably the lack of people understanding the rules was the main problem, even though some of the results are awesome( Especially Snakes, and Buloght) I just hope that in the following rounds people submit complete pixelart. Apart from that good luck everyone :D

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #196 on: February 27, 2007, 11:01:26 pm
Great turnout guys. I'm surprised how many chose to use green slime/plants and brownish dirt. Didn't feel my entry was very original, but at least we get to see some great variation in technique. B.O.B has some interesting contrast going for his tiles. Filax' entry would have been interesting to see more of. Buloght made a clever choice by focussing mainly on a small area. Looks like nothing is reused, but the aesthetics are great.

About the hard edges. There were tiles made to fix that. In fact I had slime vines, measuring equipment, neon light slime clusters, broken tubes and whatnot. Trouble was I noticed a little late that my tilecount was 49 due to a misscalculation. Had to do a somewhat brutal cut-job to have something to post.

Was thinking it could be interesting to connect up all the tiles at one point, but I see the styles are pretty different. Would be fun to try though.

Looking forward to the next round.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #197 on: February 28, 2007, 01:24:40 am
I wish I'd made it past round 1. I feel I would've done well in this round.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #198 on: February 28, 2007, 01:43:05 am
mirre and the bob seem to be the only ones that noticed that they needed to make there 4 interchangeble colors into a completely different hue ramp to avoid a monochromatic, or toned down image.
lovely work from EVERYONE.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #199 on: February 28, 2007, 01:54:32 am
Just about everyone saw that they needed a blue in there to break it up.
I feel I would've done well in this round.
Make one anyway. Show us up.

Can't wait to see what round three will be...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:58:24 am by Blick »

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #200 on: February 28, 2007, 02:20:16 am
"Vurd up, yo." Go ahead and send something in for critique, Xion. If not them, than I'll definitely learn something new from your technique. I've seen some of your past mock ups. I'm sure it will be nothing short of awesome.

Oh, and am I the only one who is fearing the next set rules for round 3?
my back hurts...

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #201 on: February 28, 2007, 02:26:16 am
I hope it has nothing to do with portraits. Filax would destroy me at that.

I just want to make it to the semi finals. I'll be happy to make it past that, but semi finals will make me content.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #202 on: February 28, 2007, 02:28:16 am
but most everybody just used it in as another value, unifying everything too much.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #203 on: February 28, 2007, 02:34:15 am
but most everybody just used it in as another value, unifying everything too much.

?...I'm confused.
my back hurts...

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #204 on: February 28, 2007, 03:08:40 am
He's referring to my comment about how everyone threw in a blue as a replacement. He's saying that few of us actually made an entirely different color ramp with our replacement colors, to break up the monotony, whereas most just changed a single value which didn't really do as much as far as giving it variation goes.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #205 on: February 28, 2007, 05:20:05 am
Ok, I will then...this weekend though. I'm piled mile high with homework (which I am currently procrastinating on completing by roaming these forums). And you can bet I'll make the most of my palette swaps. ;) ;D

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #206 on: February 28, 2007, 05:46:54 am
Gogapeli! My motherboard got fried on monday evening (I think. Might have been yesterday morning).
Congrats on the win, Blick, and good job everyone.

I have to say, Buloght's is my favorite, and I really like what Filax got done of his.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #207 on: February 28, 2007, 06:50:43 am
great entries everyone!
congrats to the winners.

Ill try and get some crits up this time for the entries.

So for now, we will let this thread keep going for alittle longer.

Challenge 3 is posted.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #208 on: March 01, 2007, 07:38:27 am
great stuff guys. Love seeing how you used the palette.

Like how you did the water on yours, Snake. I think I'll go into graphics gale and expand the water to see how it would look with out the fake edges.

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Reply #209 on: March 03, 2007, 12:39:08 am
Great entries.. i especially like Buloght and Blicks pieces.. Great work!  :y:

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #210 on: March 03, 2007, 03:01:37 am
Oh wow. I haven't been here for a while. Been busy busy.
Anyway, the results are great! I'm impressed with the display of talent.
I'm glad to see that Mirre is fighting strong. Take it home, Mirre! Take it home! ^_^

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #211 on: March 05, 2007, 10:05:25 pm
By the way, where the hell is pkmays? He hasn't been on since 15 feb, and hasn't said anything about it...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #212 on: March 06, 2007, 02:25:29 am
DEAD.

(If he really is dead, I would feel terribly ashamed...)