AuthorTopic: Majora's Mask Deku Link  (Read 8413 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Majora's Mask Deku Link

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:29:18 pm
Seems a little odd to want to fill in all of that a brick at the time when it's a shitload easier just to fill in the mass parts and then fine tune it a little.

As I said, fillbucket = valid tool. Just scribbling something and calling it pixelart = does not fly here. You did not clean your lines at all, there are jaggies all over the place and so on. And on top of that, this would work much better at a size of say 128xsomething pixels if you really wanna make it as pixelart.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 05:48:21 pm
I suggest you take the time to figure out what exactly pixel art is.. its not a matter of whether it's pure pixelart or not, its either pixel art or it isn't. deviantart has a quick definition if it helps atall.

What is Pixel Art?
A common misconception is the fact that "every digital media is made of pixels therefore it has to be pixel art." Even though there is some truth in that statement it's far from what pixel art fundamentally is.

Pixel art, by definition, is the creation of an image pixel by pixel using a minimal amount of graphical tools; literally building the image one pixel at a time from the ground up.
Most Pixelists utilize programs ranging from the simplistic (and often recommended) MS Paint to more advanced (but also often recommended) Photoshop with many, many other programs being appropriate as well.

Since most pixel art is created literally by placing a pixel at a time onto the canvas the typical Pixelist zooms into the image very closely in order to work at the the small dimensions which are required for the great precision used in the typical pixel artworks.

The most easily recognisable example of Pixel Art is that of the video game sprites and backgrounds used on the small hand-held gaming platforms.
The majority of Pixel Art is also created without the use of program renderings or manipulations such as lighting effects, blur, sharpen, and others which are commonly available as Filters in many graphics programs.

It is also expected that Pixel Art will be saved in GIF format as this format does not lose the image quality which is needed to display the precision involved in most pixel art. JPEG is another format that most would consider using for images with high color depth with large amounts of detail although many Pixelists avoid this format due to the fact that JPEG images often lose image clarity when saved at certain quality settings.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 08:18:01 am
I was a little bit boring yesterday. So made "you can make it bether" tutorial (xD):

Its only 2~2.5h of work. ;)

Just try make your works smaller and more detailed.

:D

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 01:37:48 pm
uh, that does not look like deku link tho.

Offline TeenIce

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 04:41:33 pm
Yea, well.. I haven't seen this character before. But at least I try :P

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 04:47:48 pm
Yea, well.. I haven't seen this character before. But at least I try :P
HEATHEN!!!
(And yes, I'm a nintendo fanboy...)
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:20 pm
as long as you have full control over colours and pixelplacement you can use whatever, pencil tool, line tool, circles, rectangles, dither brushes all no problem, esp since you can always tweak. And yeh, spraycan is a bit dirty, but can be implemented well if you know how, not the case here tho.

ok, so question then (sorry for going off topic)...  i made this awhile back using dither brushes, then going back and refining:

does that make it pixel art?

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 05:19:44 pm
Yes it does technically, but it does look more like a colourreduced bumpmap :D

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 04:10:37 am
lol, i wish it had been as easy as that  :D

jalonso gave me some dither brushes, and i wanted to screw around with em, so i made a large patter, erased parts i didn't need, and kept doing that...  took far longer than i should have taken...