AuthorTopic: [WIP] mobile snow... why not  (Read 7882 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

[WIP] mobile snow... why not

on: February 08, 2007, 07:06:39 pm
Hey pixeljointians pixelationians, me here signing in.

Recently.. being sometime today, i started on the fourth of my mobile games and have decided to put my work on this game up for crits.. as i dont think my last graphics were anywhere as good as they could be.

anyways in the game you are a kid who goes around dodgeing snowballs throwing snowballs diveing through caves leaping across ice burgs and all to get home in time for tea :D... because why not

here is what i have made so far,

the reason i have posted the loading screen is because it should give you some idea of the style i want, it shows you the screen size i am makeing the game for, it has the main player sprite in it.

Mainly i want crits on the main player sprite but PLEASE feel free to crit anything.

UPDATE... i have updated the main charicter (thanks to souly for crit/edit thingy) also there is the start to the running animation

p.s, cool beans...
and yeah i just copied from my pj post... what you gunna do about it... :crazy:

UPDATE...

thanks stwelin, cool beans.. any better? i shaded the running now and moved arms... also i made him bob a bit and bought the back arm forward more.

crits?

@vellan: the game tiles haven't been made yet, since i think spiriting and animation is my weaker point i am trying to get that out of the way first.

UPDATE...

yeah i got it i think.... i started on tiles... i am in no way happy with these at all..... so any differnt ideas or inspiration you know of please tell me also feel free to edit... any help at all is welcome will take it all into consideration for my final tiles. thanks :y:

update..

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:25:58 pm by artisan »
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Re: mobile snow... why not

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:07 pm
really hard to crit much without seeing even a mockup of a screen...

characters need to fit in the world...but without being able to see the world it is hard to comment

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:22:34 am
The body twist does not match the arm movements in the walk cycle, when the red (foremost) are moves back, so should that side of the body. Try reworking it.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 05:41:26 pm
thanks stwelin, cool beans.. any better? i shaded the running now and moved arms... also i made him bob a bit and bought the back arm forward more.

crits?

@vellan: the game tiles haven't been made yet, since i think spiriting and animation is my weaker point i am trying to get that out of the way first.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:21 pm
The twist is still out of sync. When the body turn so the chest area is visible more, the near arm should be fully BACK and when mostly the side is visible it should be FORWARD.
Very cute character, by the way. :)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 11:29:34 am
I like the little fella. But as Stwelin pointed out, the torso's movement doesn't fit with the arms and legs. Try running like that for a bit! It's insanely uncomfortable!

Also, I don't quite find the cycle very run-like. Probably because the feet don't appear to ever leave the ground (even though the speed of the run suggests that they do (while they don't, visibly)). How many frames have you got, there?

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 07:11:54 pm
well fyi the feet leave the ground for a mighty whole pixel!! dun dun duuun... yeah ok i should increase that.  :-X

and i see what you mean about the twist then, what i tried to do was twist the body where the legs go.. and make the arms go faward when the legs go back... but now i realise the twist should do the oposite to the legs too, thanks guys will update it  :y:

and well that didnt take too long... updated

your thoughts?

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 07:24:39 pm
the body shouldn't twist where the legs go, however. the body twists where the arms go.

In a run cycle, the body is broken up (somewhat) into two cylindrical zones, the legs and the torso. When then left leg goes forward, the right shoulder (and arm) go forward to counter-balance the legs, this is what keeps you from running a weird zig-zaggy pattern and toppling over.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 12:01:30 am
yeah i got it i think.... i started on tiles... i am in no way happy with these at all..... so any differnt ideas or inspiration you know of please tell me also feel free to edit... any help at all is welcome will take it all into consideration for my final tiles. thanks :y:

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:05:54 pm
Alright, check this...

When his left leg is forward, his left arm is back. That's correct. But his torso and head should also be twisted to the left. Right now, the torso and head move opposite to the arms, which is totally off. Like I said, it's an EXTREMELY uncomfortable way to move. I did try jogging across the room like that.

I guess I changed pretty much everything in that frame... but you can see my point. Torso, head and arms twist in the same direction. Legs go in opposite direction. Right arm goes back; torso turns to the right. Left arm goes back; torso turns to the left. I also gave the back leg a lift, so it looks more like a run and less like a powerwalk.