AuthorTopic: Demon Slayer  (Read 7942 times)

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Demon Slayer

on: February 08, 2007, 03:42:30 pm

Hey guys, been lurking a bit and I feel like pushing pixels again. This is a render of a character for a game I'm putting together for fun.  Any c+c would be great.

Some progress shots.

An initial quick sketch to set down the basic design first and keep things from going all over the place in the render.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/madtoaster/slayer.jpg

Edit:
Looking forward to learning from you guys. Neat to see that Pixelation is back up.  :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:49:27 pm by MadToaster »

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Demon Slayer

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:33:36 pm

Upped contrast and saturation on cape highlights. Added a color to highlight armor. Added another color that serves as a shade for the skin and as a highlight for the hair.

Added folds on cape, removed the thing sticking out of his back as I couldn't figure out what perpose it serves.

Redrew hair based on your sketch. Shading came out kinda meh.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:32:19 pm
I actually quite like the simple shaded version better. Reminds me of that Batman The Animated Series game on the SNES. I love the style of the sprite too.

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:39:39 pm
You forgot (?) the skull capeholder dealy he had in the sketch. I like the helm design, very neat. Of course PK's edit rox, but I think that would be much harder to animate so I wouldn't add as many folds in the fabric.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:08 pm
I think that edit is very solid and helpful. Any sort of style has something going for it. Out of this World was made out of vectors, so not much shading was going on, obviously easier to animate, and it was that game's style.

Madtoaster has been making sparse pixel art designs for a while. Even if he ends up with sleek and simple for the game he's making, he would probably benefit from trying to push the pixel art skills more anyway just for learning purposes.

Flatness, straight ramps, few colors are what you use, I'd like to see attempts at more rendered and full-colored stuff.

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:13:01 pm
i think finding a nice median between the ultra-simplistic and the more complex would result in more character in the art.

right now it seems kinda vacant. even adding a few more colors, a touch of shading and more visible light source would do it wonders.

it looks good...but i think it could have more character

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:12:05 am
Meh, I'd keep this simple. This, to me at least, would seem a lot much more approachable in a flat shaded style. I'd just ditch the dark outlines on the character all together.

For easier animation, I think flat shading, almost vectoring, also might be a little more easier for a game. I tried adding the skull place holder, and the orange sword. Also, an alpha blending animation( I think that's what you call it) with the different colored flames on the sword would do nicely.
   I don't know what exact style you're going for, but from what I've seen you can do with digital, I'm sure this shouldn't be a problem for you. By the way, I totally did not know that you were the same madtoaster from Punaji. Total mindjob!...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 04:18:47 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 02:04:41 pm
BOB - Hey Bob, small world. :p Thanks for the edit, I was worrying over the tone of the contour but i think getting rid of it looks nice. The sword is in a separate sprite because it spins and floats around the character in the game prototype right now. It has a neat polygonal soul calibur swoosh.

vellan - I agree completely about striving for a middle ground. I have so much respect for Helm's illustrative command of the medium but my personal taste has tended toward the graphical.

Helm - Hey Helm! hehe, bad habits die hard. I glossed over pixel academics before but I want to become more rounded out now. I've heard the phrase color ramping before but could you explain it or point out a webpage?

im9today - About the skull, i thought it made the tiny sprite look too busy. I"m thinking of iterating on the design a few more times because it's still fuzzy in my head and honestly i don't know what he's wearing under the cape yet.

Grindle - Yeah, it's hard to say what looks best really. I've found that with platformer type games, I  like the idea of little paper dolls running around than something more solid and realistic.

pkmays - Thanks for the edit. I'm not sure about the thing sticking out either. I had it in my head that maybe he was wearing a scarf but again it's an issue of vague design. I'm gonna play with it more with paper and pencil.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:10:36 pm by MadToaster »

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 05:04:36 pm
i quite like BOB's edit, to the cape especially. gives it more volume while keeping it simple

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 05:47:51 pm
Hey madtoaster. A straight ramp, is a ramp which has a few colors, anything from 2 to 32 which are all varied in terms of LIGHTNESS, but the same in HUE and SATURATION. This wastes a lot of near-shades that could be unified on a sprite, and also looks very boring and lifeless. Hand-edit every shade you use, play with its saturation and hue, try to repesent more color and warmth or coldness according to the design you're going for. It doesn't have to be THREE SHADES FOR FACE, FIVE FOR CLOTHES. It can be, two shades for face, 3 for clothes, one desaturaded dark blue for both face and clothes, blue from eye eyes highlight on the clothes, that extra gray can be dithered on the pants for a dirt effect, so on.

I've seen your CG work over at punaji and for all they other merits, it seems you haven't given colors much thought in that field either. Half of pixel art is being smart with your colors.