AuthorTopic: [WIP] House Scene - First Time Poster  (Read 8647 times)

Offline updownleftright

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] House Scene - First Time Poster

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 09:38:48 pm
It's all very basic i have to say. Often it is better to suggest detail and not actually drawing every single brick.

For excellent reference of an isometric building check this picture by miascugh:

http://pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/factpj.png

Thanks, but that's already been posted, and i've already pointed out that it's not the style i'm going for. If we all did our art the same way things would be a tad boring wouldn't it? ;)

Having said that there are some elements of it which I can incorporate, and will! (Update coming shortly)

Thanks again for all the nice comments, it's really helping keep me motivated (and getting better hopefully!).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 10:57:48 pm by updownleftright »

Offline updownleftright

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 10:55:44 pm

Another pretty minor update. Finding it hard to get time to work on it :(
Oh well, it's coming together slowly at least!

I used the (twice) linked image as inspiration to add some variety of color to the brickwork, I think it really helps.

I also added a car for a splash of stronger color, but obviously it's only blocked out at the moment.

Oh yeah, and a cat :)

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:49:05 pm
The bricks look super now :y:
I think you should give the other grass some texture to, and the treetrunks.
Of course the car needs improvement.
The fence could get a little wooden texture to. And shouldn't there be a fence behind the house to? It looks strange now.
Oh and I think the door is now large enough, the people can just go trough it while in real life doors are much larger then yourselve.

Offline updownleftright

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:19:45 pm
I've done a bit on the car tonight, and although it still needs more work to finish it off, I think it's looking pretty good!
My only concern is it doesn't sit very well with the rest of the scene due to a slightly different style. Hopefully once I add more detail/contrast to the rest of the piece it won't be so jarring.

I also took the advice from dragonrc and grained up the wood on the fence slightly, as well as tinkering with the tree trunk too.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 11:45:20 pm
IMO, the textures all look overdone. Ptoing's advice on suggesting detail would be a good one to follow, I think.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 01:36:58 am
For the mortar to be clearly visible at this angle, it would have to be perfectly flush with the bricks; I have never seen any building constructed in this way.  I'd definitely check mia's building, its pretty inspirational!  Look how he approached his brick surfaces for guidance - you shouldn't do exactly what he did, but look at how his pixels reflect the real world, rather than a super mario world!

Offline updownleftright

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:16:20 am
I don't mean to get defensive, but where exactly in any of my above posts did I suggest I wanted to emulate the 'real' world? :)

In fact if I remember rightly *scrolls to check*, I said I wanted a clean, crisp, 'eboy' style to it, which isn't exactly photorealism!

And btw, I happen to think Super Mario has an awesome art style :p

*edit*

Man, i've just been and looked at some eboy stuff to make sure I wasn't totally talking out of my arse, and I have let this picture deviate so much from my orignial vision for it! That's the problem with accepting every comment as gospel I suppose :) Too many cooks and all that...

I think I really need to scale things back slightly on the texture, and add detail instead. Simple colors and lots of geometric shapes for the win! :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:23:44 am by updownleftright »

Pixel Nerd

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 07:28:26 pm
I Added Windows On The Garage. ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:03:26 pm by ptoing »

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 04:19:14 pm
The windows of the garage arnt centered. Other then that its good.

Offline Ensellitis

• stop stealing my toast, please
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 10:35:09 pm
the car doesnt fit the style of the piece or even the style you are going for...  its far to grainy.