AuthorTopic: Edgar Allan Poe CGA  (Read 7914 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Edgar Allan Poe CGA

on: February 08, 2007, 10:41:35 am
EDGAR ALLAN POE (1809-1849);
worked from scratch, with help of a printed reference picture I found in a book.
CGA|320*200 gfx mode, should be viewed on full screen (rectangle pixels), preferably through a DOS-compatibile img viewer.

I haven't really liked CGA, I just couldn't buy it... until I saw some of the recent Lackley's works. Obviously, there were (and are) lots of interesting CGA pieces I liked (and like) before, but they just didn't push me to make my own, like Lackley's did.
It took me a few days of work, 1/2h daily, to learn why this guy loves the palette. I, too, fell in love with it and I'm quite happy with the effect (which doesn't happen often). Thank you!

If you like it, please leave a comment; if you don't, critique is also welcome*! :)

*though I consider it finished
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Edgar Allan Poe CGA

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:39:00 pm
Very, very good use of the palette I have to say. Awesome job.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:16:29 pm
Just fantastic.  I have no critique for you, it looks like you've figured the palette out completely.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:30:45 pm
Well, to be honest, it's not THAT difficult. All you have to do is think of it as 4 shades of grey :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline khorin

• I ruled the forces that fueled your hate.
    • View Profile
    • Shizucor

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 03:49:30 pm
Great job on the portrait! The colors are great.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:09:35 pm
I really love this author, he was a genius. I adore the piece as well, even though I'd change a few things...

...mainly related to likeness, and would also deepen the shadows (maybe even more than in the edit) to help acenctuate the dark mood related to Poe.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 05:12:37 pm
Well what can I say? Congrats!

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 05:20:54 pm
Dark palette 2 just for kicks:

Interesting, the gray in the original is far more discrete than the green is in this.  I didn't even notice that you only used it for his face.  Now he looks sick.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:49:09 pm
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for all the kind words.  I'm happy not only I like it. :)

Surprisingly, I found working with CGA more comfortable than in case of a broader VGA.  With such a small amount of colours, it's harder to loose control over a composition, and easier to correct all possible mistakes.  As a matter of choice, I prefer fixed palettes.

@Filax: That's a really impressive edit, I must say!  I just love the way how you gave him that aggressive, even fierce look.  It reminds me of this book cover picture, but makes me also think I've put the work a little too early on Pixeljoint.  Editing it now wouldn't be quite OK. :)

It's interesting how he looks applied to the second palette, Lackley.  Odd but that gloomy mood it has fit the theme perfectly.  I think that though the CGA#2 setting is a way more uncomfortable to work with than CGA#1 (some call it ugly), it has a fairly large potential that one may make use of.  I probably give it a try on the occasion of my next piece.  Maybe you should make something, too?

CGA#1, in turn, creates the mood, I'd call, pestilential, maybe melancholic.  That's why I've choosen Poe to portray.

Quote from: Lackley
I didn't even notice that you only used it [gray] for his face.

Yes, that was intentional; however, it seems that the green on the #2 palette may be more efficient in setting up lighting that the gray in the first scheme.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:55:45 pm by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:37:39 pm
I referenced from another book, whose cover appears to be a close-up of that one.

Editing it now wouldn't be quite OK.
Why is that?