AuthorTopic: Skull + Swordfish Sprite need work.  (Read 9308 times)

Offline FatalFetus

• Free thinkers are dangerous..
    • View Profile

Re: Skull + Swordfish Sprite need work.

Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:27:51 am
Thanks for the comment, I made a 7 color version.
->

Fetus

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 02:26:12 am
People here give great C+C  :D
Yeah, there's a huge difference from when you started and the finished version.
Color reduction is good, and you managed to fit the colors in 3 bits instead of 4. ^_^

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 09:29:08 am
Once you feel you are finished with this piece I recommend making a new swordfish at a different angle.  Straight on is nice yet an angle would look a lot better.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 05:16:24 pm
much better but the wings still need to be moved back a bit, you'll notice in the model and picture that if you were to draw a line across the middle of the wingspan, it would not pass through the bubble part of the cockpit.
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 06:41:18 pm
Xanthier, that is amazing, I was just about to post that because that's what I first noticed when I saw the model.

Fatal, let me ask you something, are you having fun? are you really having fun?...because...I see you sort of correcting things, only because people tell you, and as much as people tell you...um, I think it's important that you have feelings for your piece =), dont just copy the swordfish, try to feel it's shape and feel what makes them cool, and try to put that in your sprite, you get too technical you'll get bored, if you get bored you wont be intuitive and you wont understand the essence of the swordfish.

for example, do you like the swordfish's color? the color is pretty unique in this one, you dont often see serious pink jets, so you must feel SOMEthing about the color, if you like it, try to put in the sprite exactly what you like about the color, the way it glitters, the way it....I dont know, whatever you like, if you dont, give it a paintjob, this is your sprite and it should look how you like.

I get the impression you are letting other people lead you to much, take over dude, you have to do this for yourself or it's not worth it, dont make your pictures so you can show somebody, do them so you can solidify and define your ideas.

eh, that's why I do it anyway, I dont even show people my stuff if I dont think they'll give me an interesting comment on it, maybe I'm exagerating and you dont have to be like may, maybe this is even just a silly little hobby for you, but still...consider this, this might be loads of fun if you get more personally involved.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 07:25:23 pm
Yeah, listen to Camus and follow your own intuition rather than listen to others.

Offline FatalFetus

• Free thinkers are dangerous..
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 10:11:08 pm
I agree with you cam but because I was trying to learn my mistakes during this process I sort of ended up following a cookbook, heh. I learned alot about shading and color choices by doing this one small sprite.. so hopefully this pattern of following orders won't happen too much more. I appreciate everyone's comments and help on this piece, I can tell I'v improved since the first try for sure. I'll be sure to pay more attention to details throughout my influences and such. I set out to make a decent looking swordfish sprite and it's been accomplished.. I may or may not continue working on this at a later date, I don't think the background really matters for this piece.
Finale:

Thanks for all the C&C, its the best way to improve.

Fetus

Offline FaeryShivers

• View Profile
    • Happy Ufo Studios

Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 01:18:05 pm
Yeah, listen to Camus and follow your own intuition rather than listen to others.

-mind explodes while thinking about that statement-

Listen to camus and follow your own intuition rather than listen to others..
listen to...camus.....follow your own intuition.....ahhhhhhh!!! :o

But yes, people here often have a habit of falling into the "style critique" trap.
They want to become better so much that they latch on to anyones comments that
is remotely good. Sometimes they're helpful comments that help the person develop their
own style..and sometimes they're "personal taste" critiques. I try not to comment on peoples palettes unless the shade colors
don't go really well with the base color because I know my palette is usually low sat, I prefer it most of the time  but many people
do not.

It takes most people awhile, but they'll usually want to break into their own style eventually.
It gets frustrating doing a particular style all the time, especially if its not your "own." When I show people my
portfolio they tend to end up wanting the exact same style that every client before them wanted. x_x
Can't argue with the demand though.

Well fatal, you've come a long way in a short time. I know you were struggling and I wish I had time back then
to help you more but you know how my schedule is. I look forward to your next piece.