AuthorTopic: Skull + Swordfish Sprite need work.  (Read 9310 times)

Offline FatalFetus

• Free thinkers are dangerous..
    • View Profile

Skull + Swordfish Sprite need work.

on: October 04, 2005, 02:26:57 am
Well I'm getting addicted to this whole pixel art thing, some of the stuff in these forums is just amazing. I never thought people could do such wonders with tiny squares, pixel art is like a WAY better form of tile murals!

My next couple of items are trying to work on shading, low colors and smoothing shapes. Skull came out a little rougher than I wanted, though. As for Spyke's swordfish.. I know the saturations need fixed, it's a slightly pinker shade. (Or faded red, but thats just not manly.) C & C greatly appreciated on ANYTHING you see wrong with these as I am trying to learn. I'v looked over all the tutorials in the link under general, pretty good stuff.

Thanks,
Fetus
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 03:28:01 am by FatalFetus »

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: Skull + Swordfish Sprite need work.

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:31:05 am
Ok, you got the right attitude about learning.  :D
People here really are amazing.  ::)

Swordfish: Indeed, you are correct about the color. Might I suggest a base color of RGB(198,47,29)? Also, the front can use some work, for as of right now, it seems twisted instead of sharp and pointy. I suggest you take out the, err, diagonal metal glares(?). Overall, this ship seems to need a darker palette. The shadow in front of the cockpit can be prolonged and smoothed out with more shades. The, uh, rocket(?) in the back seems to have some sort of alternate light source, and it'd probably be good to keep light shading consistent.
You also need a rocket "hole"(?).

Skull: Texture is nice. Only thing I can find is to bring out the lower jaw a bit.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 09:19:14 am
I like the skull yet the swordfish I think it is a great idea yet wasted for size.  Don't be limited and try something big, this could turn out amazing.  Also darken the grays and add more gray to the reds.  Other than that... you have cooler toys than me  :'(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 09:21:00 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:34:14 pm

Took all CnC into consideration and came out with this. The only bit I haven't gotten to was the one about it's small size.. I think its a great idea to make a larger version, but I wanted to finish my tiny sprite one first. I'm interested to see how much more detail I can fit into a larger piece.

Fetus

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:54:58 pm
um, dont do this at a bigger size, get this right first, then think about bigger sizes.

first of all, you are not interpretating the shapes correctly. if you are really going to try this, it's not worthwhile if you dont atleast draw things correctly.

even with that slanted refference view, I can tell that the Swordfish's wings are NOT completly perpenticular to the cockpit. I can clearly tell that it's wings have a slight v angle to them therefore are tilted towards the front of the ship.

if you are going to draw the swordfish atleast get a good view from the top of it before you do, and be precise when duplicating it's shapes, the whole effort is worthless whitout that.

You have conflicting perspectives. if you look at the cockpit, and the whole area around the cockpit, it seems like it is a top-view of the swordfish, since you cant see any bit of the side of the ship.

but if you look at the spherical turbine that it has at the back, you can actually see part of the side of it (that red plate that goes around the silver turbine is tilted in a way that you wouldnt be able to see from the top)

Spike's Swordfish is a much much more beautiful ship than what you drew there, and you know it, I mean if you have a model of it you must love it. dont settle for something that doesnt do it's job, draw the ship the way you know it looks, you know the swordfish well, make sure your representation of it is worthy of it's name.

also, your pallete is badly contrasted, the shades are all too similar, make each shade difer from the last more so that they can convey true depth.

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 11:13:02 pm
Thanks alot cam, I know damn well that sprite is assage maximus.. I just couldnt really put my finger on what or what all was wrong with it. The vertical wing 'fins' that intersect the wings I just dont know how to get to appear from a top view. Obviously you wont see them but they should be noticably popping out, right? I tried to show them with darkened shadows to the right but alas, that's only part of it. I'll get right on fixing this up. Also.. I had a model like that once but it got lost when I moved years ago.. So Ill have to do some searchin for a top view. As for the slight V shape.. I don't remember there being one on the model or in the anime/manga, Ill have to go look for that when I search for a top perspective. I can't see it in that picture..

EDIT: Found a decent picture of straight wingspan on swordfish.

EDIT #2:
Colors redone. Tried to define the wing fins a bit more.. Back lift fin looks better.. (Fin over thruster) It still needs work but I'll have to get on it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Fetus
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 01:23:30 am by FatalFetus »

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 04:52:30 pm
No what he meant was the fact that you drew the wings level with the cockpit while I can tell in both pictures that the wings come a little bit before the cockpit.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 06:52:36 pm
Listen to camus, the man knows what he's talking about   ;)

Like has been said, the wings aren't evenly lined up with the cockpit, also you don't have the engine(is that what it is?) proportionally large enough if you look at the pictures closely. It is significantly larger than the cockpit, currently you have them at about the same size. I suggest you make it wider and longer. The engine is nearly half the length of the craft. The engine in your previous version is more accurate, though the colors are off.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 07:00:34 pm by xanthier »
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline FatalFetus

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 07:56:36 pm
EDIT: Added contrast to the blue 'metal' shades. Fixed up cockpit shading.

I didnt notice that wing cockpit difference at all, what the hell? I moved them forward, added longer shadow to right wing to add depth.. Edited back fin again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 12:14:13 am by FatalFetus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 12:33:30 am
Hehehe...
I love seeing people improve.

Hmm...I could see one of those middle colors in both red and blue being eliminated. I think an improved contrast to the right of the front of the ship would be beneficial, seeing as how ATM it looks round whereas the references you used showed a ridge on top of the nose.
Also, more contrast in the reds might be cool, but just IMHO.

Keep at it. Rapid improvement, I see.