AuthorTopic: Tree [Open To Style Help & Crit.]  (Read 2915 times)

Aritriste

Tree [Open To Style Help & Crit.]

on: February 06, 2007, 02:22:20 pm
I've been doing a little bit of offside pixeling trying to catch an ideal style, so I started to create my own tilesets, etc. yet the most trouble I've been having is on this tree. Currently I'm stuck on the base of the tree, but I'm hoping to progress on it a little bit more to look fairly more realistic, and much lighter:

Now I tried to add some spot lighting to this although in the game there shall be clouds/storms/weather and various attributes to the graphic display, but I wanted to get a general complex with a little bit of in-depth detailing with a neutral color tone. In addition I tried to add moss on the left side of the trunk as you may see really didn't turn out that well, and I added a small leafy vine growing near the off right side of the trunk. Lastly on the right side/top, I tried to add a knot to the tree, but alas it turned out a bit distorted due to the color tone used. Though this is how far I got with it, but I honestly know I 'm going to have alot more trouble on the head of the tree than the trunk.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Re: Tree [Open To Style Help & Crit.]

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:03:49 pm
uh.. the problem could be is there is WAY WAY to many colours. GG said there is 115 Colours. so next time use like 15 colours at most, you can get a nice tree stump with like 5.

Aritriste

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:24:26 am
uh.. the problem could be is there is WAY WAY to many colours. GG said there is 115 Colours. so next time use like 15 colours at most, you can get a nice tree stump with like 5.

Well I used several color various and a blur to try to level the bark lines into the tree.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:38:19 am
yeah dont use blur just use colours that fit together better look at trees by other people to see how they made the bark look nice.

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:58:50 am
My advice would be, leave alone the blur tool. Its evil.

Learn to use AA, check out some pixel tutorials. Links are in the tab at www.pixeljoint.com.

Also try and study the pixel art of games that have tree stumps you like, understand what they do to create nice looking stumps.